Beach camping: Sand in the RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewtk

I'm planning to boondock at Padre National Seashore in a few months, which is a nice stretch of beach in southern Texas.  I've boondocked several times before, so I'm comfortable with that part.  But I was wondering how to minimize getting sand inside the RV, mainly from your feet?  I realize it's unavoidable to some extent, but I'd like to minimize it.  The RV has an outdoor shower but I'd like to minimize running the water. 

I was thinking a shallow pan of water outside to rinse off, then use a towel to dry off and remove as much as possible before stepping inside.  I keep a small piece of carpet just inside the door, so that should catch some sand as well. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  I figure I'll have to vacuum once a day to catch as much sand as possible.

When we would go to Lake Powell we'd put down the green astro-turf from home depot in front of the trailer. And have a shallow pan of water to rinse our feet off in before getting on the 'grass'. Kept most the sand out from feet.

How about a board with a grate on top. A broom and vacuum and keep windows and doors shut the salt will kill your RV. The sand and beach is a losing battle with kids? Good luck. I've been there like 20 clicks past the four wheel drive barrier and its wonderfull . Be sure to fish! Oh and watch your feet/slippers for TAR, Sometimes can be bad,

One trick to removing sand from feet and other body areas is to use baby powder instead of water. A little powder rubbed on the skin will make the sand just fall off. You can rinse off, but any moisture left will immediately attract sand like a magnet!
Put the powder is a sock and pat in on, wipe with a dry towel before entering the RV. Good luck. We've used this over the last 40+ years on our numerous camp outs at beaches around the south.

regval beat me to it.  I was going to suggest baby powder

I will add though that it doesn't always work well.  I've had a few occasions, maybe it's the type of sand, where rubbing powder on didn't make the sand release form the skin.  In the case I can remember it was more like ground shells than sand...

Otherwise, living in florida where almost every campground is a sand lot, we have several layers of door mats.
I prefer the plastic ones that look like this
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/248/889/489/489889248_721.jpg
they catch sand well, and turn upside down and drop to the ground to easily clean them.

I have one outside
then I bought two and custom cut them for the two steps into the camper
and we have another rug just inside the door at the top of the steps

It doesn't catch it all, but it does help

Are you talking about free camping at Malaquite Beach? Don't worry about the sand, worry about the water. The first night I camped there was at low tide and I camped as far away from the water as I could get. I got up in the morning and stepped into a foot of water. Pay attention to the tides.

I spend a month in the spring and one in the fall at the beach.

I use a fluffy washable rubber backed bath mat inside my front door so whatever sand didn't fall off outside, I rub off on the rug.

This seems to catch the first pound of sand. I shake the rug out 2-3 times a day and it seems to stay clean and the sand falls right off of it.  When it gets too dirty, I wash it and start over.

Outside I use a self draining patio mat because the sand tends to sift right through it. No need to shake it.

I also keep a small brush and waste pan set on a hook by the door. I was using this to sweep the steps, but I found out grabbing the dust brush is great for sweeping the sand off ankles and feet. Does an amazing job. So now I sweep my feet first, then walk inside and rub my bare feet on the fluffy bath mat.

blw2 said:
regval beat me to it.  I was going to suggest baby powder

I will add though that it doesn't always work well.  I've had a few occasions, maybe it's the type of sand, where rubbing powder on didn't make the sand release form the skin.  In the case I can remember it was more like ground shells than sand..

I agree with Brad that the powder doesn't always work and now that the grandkids are teenagers, I just say "wait a minute while I fire up the pressure washer..."

Reggie

Thanks all!  I'm going to bring some baby powder, astroturf, and a small brush.  Sounds like some combination of those will definitely help.

SeilerBird said:
Are you talking about free camping at Malaquite Beach? Don't worry about the sand, worry about the water. The first night I camped there was at low tide and I camped as far away from the water as I could get. I got up in the morning and stepped into a foot of water. Pay attention to the tides.

I was mainly planning on Bird Island Basin, which is right next to a beach area but above the tide line.  I'm a windsurfer.  But I was also hoping to camp on the Gulf Side.  Your comment is definitely giving me pause though.  How far down the beach did you set up?

Who camps on the beach and complains about the sand?  LOL

With two golden retrievers no matter what we do there's sand.  It just is what it is and is part of the price for beach living.  Worth it in my humble opinion.

Never heard of the baby powder trick.  Think the retrievers will let me use it on them?  Yeah, probably not.

We have a plastic pallet that we set up in front of the steps into the MH. It has holes in it so the sand comes off and goes through them without too much trouble. Just gives another surface to step on and brush off what you can before going up the steps.

get an air compresser have it set at maybe 40 pounds and blow the sand off of everything...just a thought.....You should have one for the lowered tire pressures any way. Just thought of it because I just put a smallish Bostitch 115 volt onboard.

john owens said:
get an air compresser have it set at maybe 40 pounds and blow the sand off of everything...just a thought.....You should have one for the lowered tire pressures any way. Just thought of it because I just put a smallish Bostitch 115 volt onboard.

If you use compressed air you need to be very very careful. I learnt years ago that compressed air can force unwanted particles through the skin and into the blood stream. The pressure has to be very low maybe even lower than 40 PSI. Just my opinion.

We have been duning for the past 25+ years and have a large patio rug that we throw out on occassion, weather dependent.  Other than that nothing special but we got in the habit of removing shoes at the doorstep.  No grandkids to track sand in, but our son has been duning with us since birth practically.  We would have to sweep the steps off a few times throughout the weekend but that was about it.  Kind of surprising more sand didn't work its way into the coach. 

What was worse was when the winds would pick up and the finer particles would work their way in.  That was way more problematic than tracking it in from the doorway.

Mike.

Attachments

• duning.jpg
    duning.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 51
john owens said:

As a side note here, OSHA regulations state compressed air for blow down must be regulated to 30 psi at the tip, and can't be used to blow down personnel.  I know OSHA doesn't apply here, but the dangers of compressed air for blowing down are widely known.

Hi, I don't have any advice but your post was interesting.  My first winter after retirement, I plan to spend in southern Texas as I establish residency. 

I have been camping at or staying in nearby motels at California beaches with 3 dogs for 10 years.  We rented a class C for bodega bay in a couple months.  This will also give me a better idea of what size and style I will be purchasing in the future.  It will be my first experience with a motorhome and there are no hookups so we'll see how it goes.

Rene T said:
I'll bet you'll find that it is widely UNknown

Depends on who you are talking too....
I'd guess that almost all folks that work in or support heavy industry would know it.  I used to work in the pulp and paper industry.  i worked at a mill for a while, then traveled for many years as a supplier to paper mills and some saw mills.  It seemed I was constantly bombarded with OSHA rules, safety requirements both OSHA and company specific, training classes and orientations, etc...

I can't begin to guess how many times I've been taught this rule....
& I also can't guess the number of times I've seen people do it in factories and and "home", even "trained" people
One thing I can say with certainty though, is how many cases of injury I have seen or directly heard of from blowing off with compressed air...... ZERO

100% in agreement with BLW on the compressed air...My working stint consisted of 35 years in the building trades..certified pipe welder,fitter and foreman on many industrial jobs. That's why I mentioned spooling down the pressure to 40, which is almost minimal. But folks are gonna believe what they want...it's all good!!

Back
Top Bottom