EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Beach camping: Sand in the RV?  (Read 7145 times)

drewtk

• ---
Beach camping: Sand in the RV?
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:15:14 PM »
I'm planning to boondock at Padre National Seashore in a few months, which is a nice stretch of beach in southern Texas.  I've boondocked several times before, so I'm comfortable with that part.  But I was wondering how to minimize getting sand inside the RV, mainly from your feet?  I realize it's unavoidable to some extent, but I'd like to minimize it.  The RV has an outdoor shower but I'd like to minimize running the water. 

I was thinking a shallow pan of water outside to rinse off, then use a towel to dry off and remove as much as possible before stepping inside.  I keep a small piece of carpet just inside the door, so that should catch some sand as well. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  I figure I'll have to vacuum once a day to catch as much sand as possible.

Firelime

• ---
Re: Beach camping: Sand in the RV?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:09:57 PM »
When we would go to Lake Powell we'd put down the green astro-turf from home depot in front of the trailer. And have a shallow pan of water to rinse our feet off in before getting on the 'grass'. Kept most the sand out from feet.
2015 Silverado 3500HD Duramax
2016 Cougar 337FLS

William52

• ---
  • Common sense is not common anymore.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 12:01:31 AM »
How about a board with a grate on top. A broom and vacuum and keep windows and doors shut the salt will kill your RV. The sand and beach is a losing battle with kids? Good luck. I've been there like 20 clicks past the four wheel drive barrier and its wonderfull . Be sure to fish! Oh and watch your feet/slippers for TAR, Sometimes can be bad,
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:03:31 AM by William52 »
2000 Pace Arrow M35N F53 V10 Ford  100,000 + miles purrs like a kitten. 2010 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon, RVI3 Brake

regval

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:22:44 AM »
One trick to removing sand from feet and other body areas is to use baby powder instead of water. A little powder rubbed on the skin will make the sand just fall off. You can rinse off, but any moisture left will immediately attract sand like a magnet!
Put the powder is a sock and pat in on, wipe with a dry towel before entering the RV. Good luck. We've used this over the last 40+ years on our numerous camp outs at beaches around the south.
2005 Forest River TT 27BHSS and 2009 Heartland Sundance 2998RB 5vr
2007 Chev Silverado 2500HD WT crew cab, LB, 6.6L, Allison 6sp, B&W Companion Hitch
Retired Biomedical Engineer
Lawrenceville, GA

"Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink, others just gargle."

blw2

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 03:44:04 PM »
regval beat me to it.  I was going to suggest baby powder

I will add though that it doesn't always work well.  I've had a few occasions, maybe it's the type of sand, where rubbing powder on didn't make the sand release form the skin.  In the case I can remember it was more like ground shells than sand...

Otherwise, living in florida where almost every campground is a sand lot, we have several layers of door mats.
I prefer the plastic ones that look like this
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/248/889/489/489889248_721.jpg
they catch sand well, and turn upside down and drop to the ground to easily clean them.

I have one outside
then I bought two and custom cut them for the two steps into the camper
and we have another rug just inside the door at the top of the steps

It doesn't catch it all, but it does help
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »
Are you talking about free camping at Malaquite Beach? Don't worry about the sand, worry about the water. The first night I camped there was at low tide and I camped as far away from the water as I could get. I got up in the morning and stepped into a foot of water. Pay attention to the tides.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 07:42:58 PM »
I spend a month in the spring and one in the fall at the beach.

I use a fluffy washable rubber backed bath mat inside my front door so whatever sand didn't fall off outside, I rub off on the rug.

This seems to catch the first pound of sand. I shake the rug out 2-3 times a day and it seems to stay clean and the sand falls right off of it.  When it gets too dirty, I wash it and start over.

Outside I use a self draining patio mat because the sand tends to sift right through it. No need to shake it.

I also keep a small brush and waste pan set on a hook by the door. I was using this to sweep the steps, but I found out grabbing the dust brush is great for sweeping the sand off ankles and feet. Does an amazing job. So now I sweep my feet first, then walk inside and rub my bare feet on the fluffy bath mat.
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

regval

• ---
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 11:04:42 PM »
regval beat me to it.  I was going to suggest baby powder

I will add though that it doesn't always work well.  I've had a few occasions, maybe it's the type of sand, where rubbing powder on didn't make the sand release form the skin.  In the case I can remember it was more like ground shells than sand..

I agree with Brad that the powder doesn't always work and now that the grandkids are teenagers, I just say "wait a minute while I fire up the pressure washer..."

Reggie
2005 Forest River TT 27BHSS and 2009 Heartland Sundance 2998RB 5vr
2007 Chev Silverado 2500HD WT crew cab, LB, 6.6L, Allison 6sp, B&W Companion Hitch
Retired Biomedical Engineer
Lawrenceville, GA

"Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink, others just gargle."

drewtk

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 11:07:01 PM »
Thanks all!  I'm going to bring some baby powder, astroturf, and a small brush.  Sounds like some combination of those will definitely help.

drewtk

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »
Are you talking about free camping at Malaquite Beach? Don't worry about the sand, worry about the water. The first night I camped there was at low tide and I camped as far away from the water as I could get. I got up in the morning and stepped into a foot of water. Pay attention to the tides.

I was mainly planning on Bird Island Basin, which is right next to a beach area but above the tide line.  I'm a windsurfer.  But I was also hoping to camp on the Gulf Side.  Your comment is definitely giving me pause though.  How far down the beach did you set up?

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »
Who camps on the beach and complains about the sand?  LOL

With two golden retrievers no matter what we do there's sand.  It just is what it is and is part of the price for beach living.  Worth it in my humble opinion.

Never heard of the baby powder trick.  Think the retrievers will let me use it on them?  Yeah, probably not.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Mavarick

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »
We have a plastic pallet that we set up in front of the steps into the MH. It has holes in it so the sand comes off and goes through them without too much trouble. Just gives another surface to step on and brush off what you can before going up the steps.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP
Powerglide Chassis, 425 Cummins, Allison 6 Speed
2010 CRV - Blackhawk 2 - Air Force One
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

john owens

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 12:10:49 AM »
get an air compresser have it set at maybe 40 pounds and blow the sand off of everything...just a thought.....You should have one for the lowered tire pressures any way. Just thought of it because I just put a smallish Bostitch 115 volt onboard.
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 07:14:33 AM »
get an air compresser have it set at maybe 40 pounds and blow the sand off of everything...just a thought.....You should have one for the lowered tire pressures any way. Just thought of it because I just put a smallish Bostitch 115 volt onboard.

If you use compressed air you need to be very very careful. I learnt years ago that compressed air can force unwanted particles through the skin and into the blood stream. The pressure has to be very low maybe even lower than 40 PSI. Just my opinion.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 07:49:38 AM »
We have been duning for the past 25+ years and have a large patio rug that we throw out on occassion, weather dependent.  Other than that nothing special but we got in the habit of removing shoes at the doorstep.  No grandkids to track sand in, but our son has been duning with us since birth practically.  We would have to sweep the steps off a few times throughout the weekend but that was about it.  Kind of surprising more sand didn't work its way into the coach. 

What was worse was when the winds would pick up and the finer particles would work their way in.  That was way more problematic than tracking it in from the doorway.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »

As a side note here, OSHA regulations state compressed air for blow down must be regulated to 30 psi at the tip, and can't be used to blow down personnel.  I know OSHA doesn't apply here, but the dangers of compressed air for blowing down are widely known.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
but the dangers of compressed air for blowing down are widely known.

I'll bet you'll find that it is widely UNknown
AKA  Pep N Mem

Sunseeker2016

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
Hi, I don't have any advice but your post was interesting.  My first winter after retirement, I plan to spend in southern Texas as I establish residency. 

I have been camping at or staying in nearby motels at California beaches with 3 dogs for 10 years.  We rented a class C for bodega bay in a couple months.  This will also give me a better idea of what size and style I will be purchasing in the future.  It will be my first experience with a motorhome and there are no hookups so we'll see how it goes.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 09:51:25 AM »
I'll bet you'll find that it is widely UNknown

Depends on who you are talking too....
I'd guess that almost all folks that work in or support heavy industry would know it.  I used to work in the pulp and paper industry.  i worked at a mill for a while, then traveled for many years as a supplier to paper mills and some saw mills.  It seemed I was constantly bombarded with OSHA rules, safety requirements both OSHA and company specific, training classes and orientations, etc...

I can't begin to guess how many times I've been taught this rule....
& I also can't guess the number of times I've seen people do it in factories and and "home", even "trained" people
One thing I can say with certainty though, is how many cases of injury I have seen or directly heard of from blowing off with compressed air...... ZERO
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

john owens

• ---
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »
100% in agreement with BLW on the compressed air...My working stint consisted of 35 years in the building trades..certified pipe welder,fitter and foreman on many industrial jobs. That's why I mentioned spooling down the pressure to 40, which is almost minimal. But folks are gonna believe what they want...it's all good!!
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

Podivin

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 04:33:08 PM »
And since you can't keep ALL of the sand out, get a Roomba or Neato type robotic vacuum and have it run every so often. You can start it running as you leave, and come back to a clean floor (and track more sand on it :) ).
Used ones can be found fairly inexpensive or eBay or Craigslist.

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »
At Bird Island, the sand isn't much of a problem because everywhere you'd walk, it's caliche and not deep sand.  You'll still have a little sand, but a shallow pan of water by the door to step in is usually good enough.  But do bring the baby powder because it really does help make you more comfortable in the oppressive humidity. 

The real problem there is the damp, corrosive salt air blown into every crevice by the omnipresent wind.  I've ended up with salt formations that look like rock candy n the corners of my windows.

Also, the RV sites there are I think 12 feet wide and lined up in a parking lot, so your neighbor is just a couple of feet from you.  Almost all the windsurfers who go there use solar (there's not a lick of shade anywhere), and maybe a generator for a couple of minutes for the microwave to cook dinner.  People who run them for longer than that, like to charge up their batteries, don't win any friends at all, and it's real tight quarters and can be very crowded especially in the spring, so good relations can be pretty important.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
I was mainly planning on Bird Island Basin, which is right next to a beach area but above the tide line.  I'm a windsurfer.  But I was also hoping to camp on the Gulf Side.  Your comment is definitely giving me pause though.  How far down the beach did you set up?
I drove through the entrance, made a sharp right hand turn and parked right there as far from the water as possible. It was less than 100 yards to the water when I parked.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »
For tide info I use Magicseaweed.com or the MSW phone app. It will let you know when high tide is, and if it's gonna be higher than normal due to weather.

Look closely for signs of where high tide gets to before you park for the night.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 03:55:14 PM »
Here is a trick many truck drivers use that is inexpensive and may be of use...

Buy a full size scrub brush from any hardware store and attach it bristle side up onto the steps into the RV with zip ties. When entering the RV, a couple of passes of each foot over the brush should knock off debris off the shoes. I use this method, along with an interior mat just inside the door that is easily removed to be taken outside to shake the sand and debris out of.

Along with the DW and I, we also have 2 cats and a dog who haven't figured out how to wipe their paws before entering out TT. We are in a sandy area. Been there and done that.
You're still going to bring some sand inside. No way around that fact. But you can keep it to a minimum.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

Timster

• ---
    • Computer Repair
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 10:52:31 PM »
I agree with Brad in reply #4... Wife and I where literally between the dunes at a state park in South Carolina for a week. We had picked up these mats at a Kroger for cheap. I was skeptical however we both where amazed at how well it took off the sand from our shoes.
*2013 1400RB Aspen Trail Travel Trailer
*TV: Nissan Exterra
*Home: Savannah GA
http://www.TimsComputerFix.net
Love RV Adventures

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »
As a side note here, OSHA regulations state compressed air for blow down must be regulated to 30 psi at the tip, and can't be used to blow down personnel.  I know OSHA doesn't apply here, but the dangers of compressed air for blowing down are widely known.

OSHA is our governments attempt to protect people that don't have any common sense.

Darwin's theory actually works.

DearMissMermaid

• ---
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 08:26:03 PM »
I'm planning to boondock at Padre National Seashore in a few months, which is a nice stretch of beach in southern Texas.  I've boondocked several times before, so I'm comfortable with that part.  But I was wondering how to minimize getting sand inside the RV, mainly from your feet?  I realize it's unavoidable to some extent, but I'd like to minimize it.  The RV has an outdoor shower but I'd like to minimize running the water. 

I was thinking a shallow pan of water outside to rinse off, then use a towel to dry off and remove as much as possible before stepping inside.  I keep a small piece of carpet just inside the door, so that should catch some sand as well. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  I figure I'll have to vacuum once a day to catch as much sand as possible.

Sand what sand?

No time to vacuum now,  we have to track more sand back to the beach!

Maybe we'll vacuum next week... maybe not.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 11:00:23 PM »
We hate beaches.  Nothing worse than getting sand in your Schlitz. :)
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2016, 07:30:50 AM »
We hate beaches.  Nothing worse than getting sand in your Schlitz. :)

It's not bad in "Old Milwaukee".   ;D
AKA  Pep N Mem

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »
OSHA is our governments attempt to protect people that don't have any common sense.

Darwin's theory actually works.

Until <you> go in the hole. Maybe you never did dangerous work? When I was a kid we went up on the iron with little or no protection (an American Bridge belt and a lanyard at best) and I sure as Hell liked it when useful fall protection was mandated. We used to ride the ball too, and ride the catwalks up when dressing out new refinery towers. Lots of people were hurt and and many less are hurt now.

If you can convince me fewer people getting hurt and killed on the job is a bad thing I'll call you Aristotle.

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2016, 12:56:44 PM »
Until <you> go in the hole. Maybe you never did dangerous work? When I was a kid we went up on the iron with little or no protection (an American Bridge belt and a lanyard at best) and I sure as Hell liked it when useful fall protection was mandated. We used to ride the ball too, and ride the catwalks up when dressing out new refinery towers. Lots of people were hurt and and many less are hurt now.

If you can convince me fewer people getting hurt and killed on the job is a bad thing I'll call you Aristotle.
(maybe I never did dangerous work... okay  ;))

I got out of the Army in the early 1970's I spent the next 35 years hanging over the walls of the tallest buildings and the biggest stadiums all over the world all over the world using everything from helicopters to the tallest cranes made installing all those huge electric signs you see way up there at the top.

I worked for the largest/oldest sign company in Las Vegas. as well as other large union companies.

we very often had to remove our fall gear when we knew thought the inspectors were not looking in order to climb up stuff just to unhook or just get the job done the only way you can....( and yes, I have been cited/fined twice by Ohsa.. in 1978 & 1993..each time it cost about the company about $14k in fines, and it was always viewed as just a cost of doing the job  )

I typically enjoyed working in many of the smaller foreign countries ( I.E. Kuwait, Mexico, etc..)  because they had no governing construction safety agencies.... they're safety policy is.... "If you die on this job, you will not be paid for the day".

I believe......even with all of OHSA mandatory compliance safety rules in force,... stupid people ..many people will continue to be injured on job sites.

From the years I've been out on the job sites, many guys just viewed the safety gear as ...
" make sure you always wear your gear,  if you get hurt, it may determine if you can retire or not "....

most safety gear is just used as an attorneys  "lawsuit value" tool.

over the years,  the 2 or 3 injury accidents I was involved in,  they were equipment/cable failures and safety gear would have never made any difference.

I'm sure you also have a lot of experience in the trades too, ....This is the way I see things... and is just my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:41:38 PM by TonyDtorch »

DearMissMermaid

• ---
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2016, 07:26:58 AM »
I just spent a month camping at the beach.

The best thing I found for keeping sand out of the coach, was I bought a white super fluffy rubber backed bathroom rug about 2 by 3 feet.

This is at the front door inside. We wiped our feet and paws on it generously. It trapped the sand beautifully.

Now technically this is bringing sand inside...

But the beauty of it was we could shake the rug out once or twice a day. Amazing the amount of sand it trapped for us. We didn't seem to have a problem with sand inside otherwise and we were at the beach at least once a day and most days multiple times. Also most of the campground was pretty sandy too, so sand was everywhere.

Just shake it away from the front door.

jsetti

• ---
  • Tranquility On the Move IV
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2016, 08:48:10 AM »
We boondocked at Malaquite National Seashore (Padre Island) in 2013.  We were not on the beach but in the campground. The sand was not the problem for us it was the salt.  I'm still cleaning sea salt out of the window wells.
Jean Corsetti
Full-Timer with DH Steve and
Fur Babies Annie & Max
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ

DearMissMermaid

• ---
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »
I tend to choose the camp sites further back from the beach. Much quieter and not near as much salt, if any.

I use Blue Beacon Truck and RV wash $28 to clean my RV outside after the beach trip anyhow.  8)

Sand, salt, bring it on! I LOVE being at the beach. I was there 4 weeks in the spring and I am counting down the 11 weeks when I  go back for a month. They make me move every 2 weeks, but this time I managed to get 2 sites side by side so moving will be a snap.

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 03:59:32 AM »
They make me move every 2 weeks, but this time I managed to get 2 sites side by side so moving will be a snap.

Is the practice of making a camper move sites every couple of weeks common? News to me.
Mark

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 05:58:16 AM »
Is the practice of making a camper move sites every couple of weeks common? News to me.

Some places do, and it doesn't make a lick of sense to me why they do that.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 03:40:09 PM »
Why? What practical purpose does this practice serve? If one pays for 3-4 weeks, why make them move to another site beyond two weeks? Makes no sense.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 04:21:49 PM »
it's because campers can easily become permanent tenants,  so they keep them moving every two weeks ....

even BLM land is that way.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:26:18 PM by TonyDtorch »

Happy Prospector

• ---
  • RV'ing The Great American Southwest aka-Quartzsite
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
We use the old bathroom rug mat trick, one outside one inside, they catch most of the sand. For the dog, before he comes in we run a 18 volt leaf blower set on low and blow air over his feet and lower legs- he loves it.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Kevin, Lifetime NRA Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler
920 Watt of Solar
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700
Bob, The Yorkie Terrier, Helping me
prospect for gold till the money runs out

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 05:34:47 PM »
I can picture us trying to use a leaf blower on our Goldens.  Kind of like one of those Keystone Kops scenes.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

denmarc

• ---
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 01:36:42 PM »
it's because campers can easily become permanent tenants,  so they keep them moving every two weeks ....

even BLM land is that way.

The ease of letting the camper become permanent is on the owner.
My point is if the camper is willing to pay, and no rules are broken, the persistent rotation of the site is more of a "flip of the coin" than otherwise.
Maybe it's a matter of playing the odds. But it still doesn't make sense to me.
Mark

Dr. Seuss

MiGal

• ---
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »
I've used baby powder, but a cheaper alternative is corn starch. We had a cottage on the beach on Saginaw Bay (Michigan) for most of my life, and the corn starch was actually the best. It feels so silky on the toes. Use exactly as you would baby powder (with a puff).

Sam!

• ---
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2016, 04:04:16 PM »
great tips here and have helped a lot,

but last trip while keeping an eye on the sand intake i was stumped when i found and nice pile of sand in front of the toilet.  :o
now how do i tell the family to prevent this?
1997 Serro Scotty 25' Diesel Cummins 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel SRW
2000 Tacoma Dezert trux
San Diegan

Hosted by Over The Network