Downsizing Queen mattress to Twin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpgirl

I did a search & found lots of discussion about upgrading sleeping space, but did not see anything about downgrading. I'm hoping to full-time for a couple years in a 25' trailer & the master "bedroom" portion has a queen size bed. I'll be the only human living in the trailer & I don't allow any pets on my bed with me. I've slept on a twin bed my whole life & I think I'd rather have more floor space than the extra bedding. The under-bed area is just storage space, with little cubby holes to access. Has anyone here ever replaced a bed with a smaller one, and do you have any tips/suggestions?

Oh and I don't have the trailer yet. I'm getting it from my aunt who doesn't use it any more & I can't remember what make/model she said it was. It's vintage from the 60's but in great shape. So unfortunately I can't upload any pics of it right now to give you an idea of the space. :(

If there is nothing but storage underneath you should be able to shorten the width of the bed frame without too much trouble.  That would also depend on how it is installed ie a walk around or against a wall on one or more sides.  Once you have the trailer take a look at how the bed frame is made and if you can't figure out how to change it post some pictures of the frame and someone should be able to help.

Mike

Changing out queen bed to twin, need more floor space (Alpenlite Cypress 34RK 5th wheel/ 2 Slideouts). This is my permanent residence. Head of bed is against wall inside of slider. Want to place twin cross-wise in slider on that same wall. Currently have a twin with drawers that I plan to use. The box under queen bed opens from foot on hinged lid. I would like to tear this box apart. level with existing floor, using material from hinged lid to cover floor space and cover with area rug.
    There are two storage compartments underneath, separated by 2 ft. wide wood section running length of bed (hopefully there's nothing under this, but I think there probably is). This area also has a broken self-contained vacuum system, which can be removed along with other compartment. Won't really know until I tear it apart, but am wondering what I may be getting into. What do you think?
    P.S. Replacing 2-6 volt batteries, will not hold charge, charger must be hooked up at all times and still it loses power. Purchased deep cycle, but wrong batteries. Think I've got that covered now. Have heard new batteries might get my refrigerator going again as it requires 12 volt to work. Don't understand this as it's hooked permanently to 110 and the fridge is gas/electric, Dometic?  Any clues as to making life easier would be much appreciated, info on Alpenlite? I am a widow and this is my only home. 

Millie said:
    Changing out queen bed to twin, need more floor space (Alpenlite Cypress 34RK 5th wheel/ 2 Slideouts). This is my permanent residence. Head of bed is against wall inside of slider. Want to place twin cross-wise in slider on that same wall. Currently have a twin with drawers that I plan to use. The box under queen bed opens from foot on hinged lid. I would like to tear this box apart. level with existing floor, using material from hinged lid to cover floor space and cover with area rug. 

There's a pretty good chance that your bed houses the slide out mechanism underneath a plywood access panel. If that's the case, you can't rip this bed apart without leaving exposed mechanisms that need to be covered for safety reasons. Open up the access panel(s) before you go any further with this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom