Generator Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55wed55

Got a question for the 5th wheel owners out there. I bought a used 5th wheel and plan on traveling a lot after the end of June. (retiring June 31  :)) )Not selling our home but plan on being on the road a couple months at a time and might spend the winters down south. Looking at buying the two Honda 2000w generators that you can parallel together. The pair with the parallel cable is on sale for $1930.00 with free shipping and no tax until the end of the year.

My question to the fifth wheel owners out there is: do you have a generator and how often do you use it.

I know that this has a lot to do with the type of camping I do but I've only been out in the trailer about 10 days and only two of them I did not have hookups. These trips were local (Ohio and PA) and I have no idea where how things are across the US.

I hate to spend that much money and not get a lot of use out of them.

Thanks for your help.
Dave

Looks like you answered your own question. If you are unable to plug in and you need to use battery power you will need a generator, sooner or later.

It really boils down to your choice of RV parks. There are plenty of places you can go, across the continent, and always have electrical hook-ups, if that's what you want. But if you want to the freedom to stay anywhere at all, get the genset. At least a small one for battery charging.

I do a lot of camping off the grid and stay in Nat'l forest campgrounds that have no hookups. While I can go several days to a week without hookups, I have the generator to charge the batteries and run 120v if needed.  The only reason to have the 2nd generator is to run the air. Being ti Minnesota, I haven't really needed it yet as nights usually cool down or I've been in campgrounds with hookups when it got hot.

I think 2 are better because you now have 4000 watts. The Honda 3000 watt is the same price as 2 of the 2000s but, takes 2 guys to move it(heavy).  So for the same money you get more power.

As said, it really depends on what kind of camping you plan on doing. You should be ok for a night or 2 without power as long as you don't need air. It's cheaper to add an extra battery or 2 and an inverter than to buy generators for short term boondocking.

I have a pair of Honda 2000's.  When traveling, I don't need the generators unless staying more than two nights at a non-electric site or need the AC.  That almost never happens.

Great Horned Owl said:
You might want to take a look at the Champion, which is very similar, and is about half the price. Here is a review in Fifth Wheel Magazine. https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=sbc&.rand=2cca84v9es7rv#mail.

Joel

i have 3 generators a Honda 2200 which wont power the A/C a Champion 4500 i bought a couple years ago when i had my old trailer its on wheels but its heavy -very, very heavy when full of gas about 250lbs and i use/used ramps to put it in the rear of the truck now while it powers everything its NOISY very very Noisy 96db i think ( thats 2 strikes) - i keep it the garage at home now in case there is a power outage. I now have a big Toy Hauler - one of my requirements was it came with a genny and this one did, its an Onan 5500 and while its under the front cap its noisy if your sleeping above it, but not otherwise, you can stand right next to the trailer and have a conversation without raising your voice. The Champion is cheap for sure the Honda is expensive the Honda is quieter for sure. Yamaha also makes a nice genny its quiet and a lot cheaper than the Honda. We use ours alot and has come in handy more times than we could have imagined - we've been stuck in Walmart parking lots a couple time due to unforseen issues or timing and the genny saved the day. i say buy 1 a good one like the Honda or Yamaha put it in back of the truck and lock it up. If you dont use it sell it in a couple of years you wont loose much but it gives you flexability and freedom.
cheers 

I would suggest you start with one Honda or Yamaha 2000.  I realize a lot of folks us the cheaper units like a Champion but I can tell you from experience that the Honda is about as bullet proof as you can get and quiet enough not to irritate your neighbors.

The reason I suggest just one is until you know what your needs are why spend the extra $$$.  We boondock occasionally and Walmart camp whenever we are transitioning from north or south.  Although we do have an Onan 5500 installed we tend to only use it to exercise it and we seldom actually need air conditioning, therefore the Honda does everything we need for a fraction of the fuel.  I also have an extended run tank connected to the Honda so long run times are easy.

The Champion 2kW inverter generator has essentially the same noise spec as the Honda. There are also half a dozen other manufacturers with very similal units

So long as some people continue to insist that the Hondas and Yamahas are significantly better, they will continue to be significantly overpriced.

Joel

When we bought our 5th wheel trailer we planned to stay at campgrounds that have full hookups. I read on the forum that the best campgrounds for beauty and scenery in many campers opinion are government run. We have found in our travels that this is very true so we now spend as much time dry camping as we do at full hookup campgrounds.
With that said, I would not spend the money on a Honda or Yamaha generator, but go with Champion. Champion is half the price and the quality and support from their company is outstanding. Buy an inverter like a 2000 with 1700 running watts for 499.00. You can buy 2 if you want for the price of 1 Honda i2000.
The specs on the Honda and Champion are almost identical. 53 decibels at 1/4 power, Honda is a couple pounds lighter, but they are both right at 50 lbs. Check each website and you will see for yourself. Specs don't lie.
I also would only buy 1 to start unless you are sure that you will need your AC.
I have had mine for over 2 years and used the heck out of it. I just change the oil, plug and clean the filters as needed. You will also find that those folks that own Champion generators are pleased with their performance.
If you want to burn money needlessly, go with a Yamaha 2000 inverter. :eek:

Stan

Having a way to charge batteries is a good idea. We had a power outage a few days ago in the RV park we're in. 10 hours with out power and at one point it was looking like it could be a day or two as the line men were beginning to think it was a park problem not their problem. A lot of the trailer campers were out of luck. We, and several others with generators provided enough juice to neighbors to keep their 12V systems up but they couldn't use microwaves or coffee makes and such.They had TV if they had 12V Tv's or inverter power for them. There were a lot of extension cords borrowed and running all over the place. Our neighboring 5r didn't have any adaptors nor did we have anything that would work with his male 50 amp end or his rigs proprietary female end. We ended up putting my shop type battery charger on his single 12V battery for about 8 hours. So I would opt for at least one 2000 watt genny, and getting another one later if you find you want A/C.  Micro wave, hairdryer, coffee maker use may have to be monitored on a single 2000 watt genny, meaning operating one device at a time. Maybe one or another of them will be too much for the 2000 watt as well.

Bill

Not only do you want those two Honda's with parallel kit but if you own your house, and are not planning on selling it very soon, You want an electrician to install a proper generator transfer panel and inlet.. Have him make up a 30 amp cord to connect the honda pair to the inlet.

Wire the panel as follows.. Most 120 volt stuff including Fuirnace, Refrigerator, Freezer, Microwave, TV, Radio, Computers and accessories, and lights but NOT ALL YOUR LIGHTS.. leave at least one light off the transfer panel.

WHEN (not if) the power company fails you start and connect the hondas once they are running swith loads over to generator

Cost of all that work.. I did not total.

Click LIGHTS, CLICK Furnace, CLICK Fridge, CLICK Freezer, CLICK more lights, Click click click Kitchen outlets (Microwave) Radios, Television, Computers and so on..

Warm wife...... Priceless.

I can't use the Hondas for a home backup because the water pump and water heater are 240 volts.  A loud contractor type generator does that job.

That sounds like an awesome price for the pair!  Are they the 2000e?  A co-worker has that set for when they take thier trailer out and need power, they love them, very quiet.  If you camp when it is cold you will need them to run your furnace fan.  We had the work John was talking about with the second panel, transfer switch etc done for $750.  220 is just 2 legs of 110.  You can run your water heater if you wire it into the panel, but it might max you out.  We left out all the 220 stuff. 

PS where did you find them for that price?

Here a link to the place my friend got his set: http://www.maxtool.com/honda-eu2000i-eu2000ic-companion-parrallel-combo-kit Price is good and comes wit covers & cords

Cheers

55wed55 said:
Looking at buying the two Honda 2000w generators that you can parallel together. The pair with the parallel cable is on sale for $1930.00 with free shipping and no tax until the end of the year.

Can you possibly link me to this sale?  I can't find it anywhere but would very interested in taking advantage of it.

That deal ends tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the set. I don't have a problem spending a little more for the Honda. Right now we own 2 Accords (2004 & 2012), a Honda lawn mower and a Honda snow blower. Never had any problems with any of them.

I really would like to have the option to camp anywhere.

Dave

Honda makes a great product i love honda bikes and the generators are awesome please enjoy your purchase too bad they don't make a 3500 truck, so for now i will stick to my Chevy for that job lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom