Yet another question about 5th wheel and 1/2 ton...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prairiegirl

I have been reading about 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickups and trying to understand about GVWRs and trailers.  Mostly I've being looking for 3/4 ton.  But could I pull a 25.5 foot 5th wheel with a GVWR of 5800 lbs with a 2004 Ford 150 extended cab and long bed with a payload of 7700?  I have seen a lot of used 1/2 tons in my price range(cheap), but not so many 3/4 ton.  I thought about going into debt, but I decided to stay cheap and keep my budget of $5000 and save to buy a newer truck in a couple years.  I probably will be taking a half dozen trips a season and no mountains beyond the Ozarks. Should I keep looking for a 3/4 ton?
Thanks, Mary

That trailer is going to push the payload limits of an F-150. The pin weight will be 20% of the total or almost 1200 pounds, add 200 lb for the hitch and you are in F-250/2500 territory. A properly equipped F-150 will easily handle a tt (bumper pull) in that weight range so it might be a better route.

Thanks Roy.  I know I need a 3/4. I just needed to hear it.  I have the fifth-wheel so that isn't going to change. If I need to wait for the right 3/4 ton I'll just have to have faith that I will find one before spring.  I can save a little more for the truck.  :)

Hi PrairieGirl,

We've been through that too, and once we knew a 3/4-ton was unavoidable,  we started considering a full one-ton: the price difference re: a 3/4-ton isn't large, and you end up with a much more capable package right from the start (as they say, you can never have too much truck when towing),

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

You'd be marginal.  It's probably doable, but you may find the towing characteristics to be less than pleasant.  The payload is where you will run up against the limitations...pin weight of the trailer and hitch will likely be north of 1400 lbs.  Occasional use on flat land at low elevations for short distances....keep your speed down...you'd be OK.  Don't even think about towing in the mountain west.

I'm guessing that a 2004 Supercab Longbed has the 5.4L V8 engine (as opposed to the 4.6L). If so, it has a 5W tow rating of at least 9200 lbs and  can pull that trailer well enough.  Where it gets marginal is on the payload and rear axle capacity. As others have already said, that 5W will put at least 1200 lbs on the truck and probably more like 1400 with the hitch weight. Most half tons truck have a payload in the 1400-1700 lb range, so you would be getting close to its limits.  I think it would be OK, but no more than OK. Mountainous regions with long or steep grades would likely be slow on the climbs and stressful on the downhill side.

My bottom line is that that particular half ton is probably ok for your intended use, but not all half tons would be. Some half ton truck configurations will definitely come up short, but the better equipped ones will be adequate if not great. Use the Trailer Life Towing Guides to assess the individual truck you are looking at. You can view them, all the way back to 1999, at http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

If you are looking for a gently used 2500 the market in Idaho Wash and Montana is flooded with them - with the low oil prices and low Canadian Dollar US dealerships are picking up lease returns from Alberta some of these trucks were leased for 6 or 9 months and returned after only 2-3 use some have as little as 500 miles, my biggest customer has sent over 600 2014 and 2015 trucks south of the border. Mostly gas but some diesel, the majority are white or silver but some mixed other colours most are mid range options ie LT rather than LTZ or SLE rather than a SLT etc. All are 4x4 most have a wooden box liner and a back up alarm so they are easy to spot lol

Thanks to all for information.  I will wait for 3/4 ton truck.  I would put Chevy at the top of my list.  Thanks for the link Gary.  I wish I could understand all of the information about weights, towing, lengths and everything else.  I have figured the pin weight of the empty trailer at 1450 (25% of GVWR). I am continuing to slowly work on trailer, so if I don't have a truck by next summer I'll have a great summer room in my backyard.  ;D  ;D

Mary

Really depends on how large you want your 5th wheel to be,,

There are several companies selling 1/2 top specific 5th wheels..Scamp in the states and I cannot remember the company in Canada..I really like the 19 foot until my DW...sorry Dear Wife ....wondered how our dogs could get in and out of our bed easily...

Single axle, light, sweet...

But could I pull a 25.5 foot 5th wheel with a GVWR of 5800 lbs with a 2004 Ford 150 extended cab and long bed with a payload of 7700?
The truck won't have any issues pulling that small 5800 GVWR 5th wheel trailer or carrying the hitch weight.

Half ton trucks come with GVWR ranging from 6200 up to 8600 lbs. But more importantly RAWR s from 3600 lbs up to 6000 lbs.  The trucks rear axles will be carrying most if not all of a 5th wheel trailers hitch weight so pay close attention to axle/tire and wheel capacities. If your looking at '00 era trucks be on the look out for these 1/2 ton trucks............

The F150 HD with its 8200 GVWR and 4800 RAWR with load E tires and wheels and 2000-2500 lb payloads.

Another is the '00-'06 1500HD chevy 6.0 engine 4L80E tranny with a 8600 GVWR 6000 RAWR and load E tires and wheels. This truck can have a 10k lb tow rating with over 3000 lb payloads.

The  1500 Mega Cab Dodge 5.7 hemi with a 8510 GVWR and 6010 RAWR also with load E tires and wheels. This truck sits on a 2500/3500 chassis with payloads up in the 2500 lb range and 8900 lb tow ratings.

These are older 1/2 ton trucks to watch for when towing 8k-10k lb trailers.

I have figured the pin weight of the empty trailer at 1450 (25% of GVWR)

That would be a safe estimate for the fully loaded trailer - 20-25% of the GVWR. The empty pin weight is almost surely somewhat less, perhaps as low as 850 lbs, but you don't tow an empty trailer.

Do you already own this 25.5 ft, 5800 GVWR trailer? There certainly are half ton trucks that could pull that reasonably, but you do have to pay attention to the truck specs.

Here is how this works for both F250/350 SRW not DRW. They both have a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. Out of that 10,000 pounds you subtract the weight of the truck a 150 pound driver and a full load of fluids. What is left is payload capacity. You have a basic truck add heated seats sunroof and a diesel motor and all that eats into the payload. When I was done with the options I was able to carry 2,160 pounds. subtract a passenger and my weight over 150 and any thing like a hitch or extra tools and that 2,160 goes away fast.My F250 does a great job pulling my Montana 5th wheel. I went SRW because I didn't want to buy 6 tires at a time. LOL I also wanted to be able to go to the store and park the truck. It's still a big truck for the spaces but it will fit. I also got the 6.5 foot bed with no slider and my 5er is just fine with plenty of cab clearance. I have a 14,000 pound trailer and 20% pin weight is 2,800 or so. Now I know my trailer doesn't weigh that much dry weight is 10,000 but the max weight is the 14,000 so I use that number to be safe. I don't carry a bunch of stuff I don't need because I see no need for extra lights I wouldn't use. I was carrying 2 camp stoves but only used 1 so out it went. I do carry a full tank of fresh water for in case I need water. I fill it up completely so it doesn't slosh around in the tank.

I already have the trailer--a 1989 heartland prowler 25.5.  I am talking to a gentleman now who has a 1997 Ford 250 LXT HD with 141,000.  It has a tow package, I believe that he towed a TT. It has extended cab(needed for dog seat); dual tanks; Long bed; 460 gas engine with automatic and the body looks great.  I will see truck on Monday as it is the holiday weekend and 2 hours away.  I have money in budget to add air bags, 5th wheel hitch, trailer brake controller, new tires--if needed or other repairs.  I hope I can buy it, if not I will look for the trucks listed above. Happy New Year everyone.
Again, Thanks
Mary
(If I get truck I will post pictures.)

(added that truck is 250)

Old Timer said:
Here is how this works for both F250/350 SRW not DRW. They both have a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. Out of that 10,000 pounds you subtract the weight of the truck a 150 pound driver and a full load of fluids. What is left is payload capacity. You have a basic truck add heated seats sunroof and a diesel motor and all that eats into the payload. When I was done with the options I was able to carry 2,160 pounds. subtract a passenger and my weight over 150 and any thing like a hitch or extra tools and that 2,160 goes away fast.My F250 does a great job pulling my Montana 5th wheel. I went SRW because I didn't want to buy 6 tires at a time. LOL I also wanted to be able to go to the store and park the truck. It's still a big truck for the spaces but it will fit. I also got the 6.5 foot bed with no slider and my 5er is just fine with plenty of cab clearance. I have a 14,000 pound trailer and 20% pin weight is 2,800 or so. Now I know my trailer doesn't weigh that much dry weight is 10,000 but the max weight is the 14,000 so I use that number to be safe. I don't carry a bunch of stuff I don't need because I see no need for extra lights I wouldn't use. I was carrying 2 camp stoves but only used 1 so out it went. I do carry a full tank of fresh water for in case I need water. I fill it up completely so it doesn't slosh around in the tank.

My F-350 SRW has a GVWR of 11,500 not 10,000.  That is what makes the 1 ton different.  It gives you 1500 more pounds of payload than a 3/4 ton.

The F350 has a GVWR of 11,500# !!!!!  The F250 has a GVWR of 10,000#.

To answer your original question...

GVWR is the max your truck and everything it is carrying can weigh.  This includes the weight of the truck, passengers, pets, cargo, hitch and pin weight.  Pin wt is typically 20% - 25% of 5er weight.  The 1450# is a good, safe estimate.

With this camper, you should have no problems with GCVWR (truck + camper).  Rear axle weights should not be an issue, either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom