Questions for RV Reps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knc42

My wife and I heading to the RV show here in Columbus in a couple of weeks and I wanted to put together a few questions that should be asked.

We are just starting our search and I don't want to bog down a rep with a ton of questions during a busy show when I'm not quite ready to buy.

I was wondering what are some of the main questions that should be asked when looking attending a show.

Thanks,

Steve

I don't think there are many questions you should be asking since RV salesmen would all lie to sell an RV to their own mother. In order to shop for an RV you need to know what kind of RV class you are looking for, what length and what options. You will need to look at an awful lot of RVs to get these questions answered. Most beginning shoppers have no clue as to what they really want other than "an RV". It would help you a lot to try renting a few different RVs and going on weekend camping trips. It would be expensive but a lot cheaper than buying the wrong RV.

I'd start by figuring out what you want to do with the RV. Weekends, full time, long time (trips of 1-6 months at a time) vacations (2-3 weeks). Then talk with whomever is going with you and figure out what you'll be doing while you're using the RV. It could be sightseeing (go to Mt. Rushmore and back home) or it could be in depth travel (go to Sedona and spend 2 weeks looking around visiting places within 100 miles, then moving 200 miles and doing it again for that area) or it could be going to Grand Canyon, Zion, Petrified forest, Tombstone, Nogales, and Albequerque (a whirlwind trip of many places all for 3 hours each).

Figure out what you plan to do in the next 5 years and what you'd like to do in 10 years. Here's where I differ from many. I want to buy ONE rig and keep it for a fairly long time. I don't want to buy a rig this year, use it to find out what I like to do and then sell it to buy another one. Then decide what I really like, sell #2 and buy another to do what I want. By thinking it through and planning ahead you can make a pretty good guess at what kind of rig you should buy.

If you take longer trips you'll most likely want to tow a vehicle for sightseeing, groceries, entertainment, etc. Will you need to carry 3 kids and 2 parents? Or just 2 adults? The kind of toad (tow vehicle) you get will need to accommodate the people you plan to take. You'll then have that check point on your list to look at hitch capacity. Some are as low as 3500 lbs, some as high as 10,000 lbs or more.

The RV will need to be powered to tow the vehicle. The RV will need to have sleeping and eating accommodations for that many. Will everyone be happy in a small space? Does someone need to have more space? There is no sense in buying a 28' rig if the other half is claustrophobic inside while you're looking at rigs. You may need to buy bigger just so that person is comfortable with the space available. Are you going to use the rig out west where there are mountains? Or in the east where a freeway overpass is considered a high spot? Location of travel will sometimes dictate size of engine. While you can crawl up every mountain in 2nd gear with the gas engine howling next to you...... do you want to?

What level of comfort do you want? What level of quality do you want? What speed do you want to travel? These are money questions. The more comfort, quality and speed all cost more money.

There are more questions than this, but this will get you started down the right path. When you go to the show take your camera and a notepad. Write down which rig, make, model, and size and take pictures of things you like and dislike about each one. Write notes about things not obvious in picture. Notice the heating system, water system, water heater, sink size, clothes storage, crawling over someone to get out to the bathroom at night, where would the coffee pot go, does everyone have to go to bed when the kids do because the living room becomes a bedroom, and so on. Write those things down. Put those notes in a 3 ring binder for review later. Look at high quality and low quality. Look at bigger than you think you want and smaller. And talk. Be honest. Are you planning to make sacrifices now that you'll regret later? If you're going to buy a rig with the idea that you'll get something different "on the next one", then why are you buying this one that you know you're not happy with?

And yes, few have unlimited money to buy everything that they want. But by thinking thru the process you'll be much more likely to buy something that you'll be happy with. At least that's how we did it. And as a last thought, look at the new ones at the shows, but plan to buy used. You can save a lot of money buy buying a 3 year old rig rather than a new one.

Ken

To a salesman there is one and only one problem.. A contract without a signature on the signature line.

Everything else is NO PROBLEM!! clap you on the back and smile smile smile.

So like someone said.... Best not to ask too many questions.

look for a floor plan you really like.. I recommend bath and a half (2 holes no waiting) models myself,, rather glad I got one back when I was with wife. 

If buying a motor home ask about engine and transmission and chassis,, Though my salesman go it wrong on mine (I got what I wanted he just did not think I would) so once again.. Information from a salesperson may be... wrong.  not always a lie, Just wrong, there is a difference.

I would suggest you seek out the RV people there and not sales staff for questions most have been there done that esp. the older folks We did not get that old cause we dumb. LOL They(sales) there for $$$. And browse this forum for a knowledge base and of course everything said from these other good folks. Good luck Will

When do you plan to attend the show? I assume this is the  RV & Boat Show at the Expo Center Jan 8-17? No promises, but I might be available to attend and give you a few pointers/tips &/or meet for coffee ahead of time to figure out what might work for you. My better half and I are currently discussing/negotiating when we'll head West (home).

Leave your wallet home so you won't be tempted on buying something without really looking at alot more.

The part about talking to current RVers is good because they'll tell you what is good or bad about certain features.  For example, RV manufacturers seem to think lots of mirrors makes their product look larger.  Most of us women tell them mirrors are okay in the bathroom and/or bedroom but forget about having them surround the kitchen sink.  Why?  Most of us don't want to look at ourselves that much but - worse - water from the sink splashes and who wants to spend all their time cleaning up water spots.  The manufacturers want new buyers who have never been in a RV so they make them as home like as possible which might mean a feature that really is a nuisance or not feasible in a campground.  The reason so many new RVs now have hard flooring (tiles, vinyl, etc.) is because they used to have lots of carpet and frankly most of us got tired of cleaning our carpets all the time.  Think about WHO will be living in this small space.  Are kids going to be tracking in sand or mud when it rains?  Look for a floor plan that suits you but also look for something that is easy to live and play in.  Look at storage for all your "stuff" - food, kitchen tools, clothing, toys, pet items (food, bed, toys, cage), tools, bicycles, hobby items, etc.  Look at how you'll be using those things - is the kitchen big enough to prepare a meal for the entire family?  Can you prepare all meals with just a microwave? A convection/microwave? Or do you want a propane oven as well?  Is the shower large enough?  Is the bed long/wide enough?  Is the toilet room large enough?  Lie on beds, sit on toilets, stand in showers, sit on sofas, sit in the dinette (chairs or booth?).  You may like to spend most of the time outside, but will there be enough room for everyone and pets if it rains for several days and you're cooped up inside?

RVs are a very personal item and none of us can help you make the decision.  What we can do is bring up things that you may not have considered or that may be an issue that you can't recognize at this point.  Your head will spin but it will slow down as your own ideas as to likes and dislikes start to form.  Once you have a better idea about likes and dislikes you can start lists with columns for "Must have", "Don't want", "Might want."  Some people come away from a show thinking a certain item might be good but wonder here on the forum where we all have opinions and will present pros and cons.  Before going to the show look in our Library (button above left) where we have all kinds of lists to peruse.  Then have fun at the show.  And leave your checkbook at home!

ArdraF

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.  I know it was kind of a broad question.

Tom,  I'm not sure what day we will be at the show but my guess is  Sunday 1/10.

We are still a few years away from considering anything.  We still have one more kid to finish school and just starting to discuss options for the next phase.
In the mean time, we will definitely rent first to see if we even like the RV life at all and narrow down needs, wants, etc.

I'm not sure what day we will be at the show but my guess is  Sunday 1/10.

Alas, it looks like we'll already be well on our way west. We've enjoyed the unseasonably warm weather here in the greater Columbus area for 3 of the last 4 weeks, but have commitments back in California. Hopefully we can find a good route around MO without adding too many miles or days of driving.

We are still a few years away from considering anything.

Good you have plenty of time to research what you need; I was concerned you might be ready to buy without having had the opportunity to do the research. Personally, I don't discount everything I'm told by RV salesmen; It doesn't take too long to separate the folks who will tell you what they think you want to hear. Some manufacturers will have technical staff at a show, and they're usually a good source of information.

As Ardra mentioned, we have a lot of good info in our forum Library, in addition to the many discussions on our message boards. We also have some useful stuff in our Resources for RVers and our Glossary of RV terms (buttons in the menu above). bucks2 also had some good advice.

Thanks again and have a good trip.

I'll check out the other resources too.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom