Traveling into USA from Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

soundmill

Hi All
We are planning our first trip into the USA from Canada this spring in our new Bounder 36e. We have travelled into the USA several years ago by car without issue but this will be a new experience for us. I have looked through several discussions on this forum for information on crossing the border. I've been to the CBP site but I can't seem to find anything specifically related to crossing in a motorhome. Do we need any specific documentation beyond our passports and ID? Are there any special vehicle insurance requirements or certifications we need to be aware of? Any advice/information will be welcomed.
Cheers

Welcome to the Forum.  As for your question, you will need the identical documentation as if you were travelling in a car, there are no special RV requirements.  Things you will need to know are that you cannot bring citrus fruit of any type, and you should check if there are any restricted product at the local border you will be using, for example potatoes are sometimes banned if there has been an outbreak of blight.  Exchange your money before crossing, it will be much easier, buy money orders if you want.
    Depending on where you are heading, you might want to look at something like Passport America, which provides a discount on campgrounds.  Google their site, and see if would be any benefit.

Ed

We cross many times from Alberta into the US with our RV and 90% of the time the guards will come into the motorhome, carefully look through your fridge and remove whatever cannot be imported. Just apologize and tell them that you didn't know. Each border crossing has slightly different produce rules depending on what the area grows.  Apart from looking in our fridge they also always checked the wardrobe (I guess we could hide a person in there) and the shower/washroom. It is all very businesslike. You just open the side door and after that stay in your seat. Have your engine turned off as soon as you pull up to the window. Take off your sunglasses. Know your licence plate number. Know a name of a campground/RV park where you will be staying or at least might be staying.
Have your passports handy. We've never in all the years we have been crossing the border with an RV (since 1970) been asked for insurance papers. BUT.....
on one occasion they surprised us by asking for a secondary piece of information (apart from the valid passports). When I could not produce a drivers licence with a photo because I had just been issued a new licence the border guard told me that a Costco card would make a perfectly fine ID as far as he was concerned. Go figure..... Zip your lips,do what they say in a pleasant way, and the whole border crossing is a piece of cake!

Elly

Thanks Hfx and Elly. Kind of what I thought but was just curious. I hate complications in situations like boarder crossings and like to be prepared.

Answer only the questions you are asked in a clear and concise manner, don't add any additional information. Know where you will be staying if you can but say so but only if you are asked directly.

I just Google and looked for a good resource. You should go through this page for complete information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_entry_into_Canada_by_land

If you check their website, it has a definite list of things you cant take. Basically, don't take any fruits or vegetables. I believe lamb and goat are prohibited as well. It is better to be informed than have them start removing things from your rv. Don't give them a reason to look further, or you might find yourself in secondary getting  a complete search. If you have pets, make sure all their shots are up to date, and you have the paperwork to prove it. We have never been asked to produce it, but you can bet they will if you don't have it. Even pet food with certain ingredients can become an issue. Take off hats and sunglasses, and answer only what is asked. Don't volunteer any information. They don't have any sense of humour, so keep your witty remarks to yourself. We have crossed quite a few times, and have never had anything other than a quick boarding to look around. They check your fridge, a few drawers, and as stated any place a body could fit in I guess. Good luck.

We were searched once, she confiscated a tomato we had forgotten about. Probably figured it would be better in her lunch. ;D As mentioned, answer their questions truthfully and don't volunteer information. DW had a habit of being chatty, I made sure she understood this was not the time and place.

This is an old topic, and the OP is no longer a member here. But hopefully, some of the info will be useful for others in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom