Irritating W-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

I have been very irritated about the W-10 issue.  I have tried to ignore the almost forced upgrade to W-10 by MS. 

I am not a comfortable user of computers to any great degree.  So the constant pop up of the W-10 screen with its dire implications of future doom if I failed to up grade has really rubbed me the wrong way. 

I had to have my laptop W-7 worked on for an internal hard drive change and as I was paying my local computer Guru, I asked him if I should go ahead and up grade.  His response was interesting,  he has up graded his machines (6) and has only had a single trouble free up grade,  He is monitoring his kid's and his other ones and is getting ready to reinstall W-7. 

As I have not up graded I asked him how I could stop a potential forced up grade some time in the near future as W-10 seems to be amping up the strident call for immediate up grade.

My Guru gave me this cute little link to install to get rid of the pop ups and any pre existing files installed along with some of the recent updates that we all seem to get.

I installed it and it does seem to have done the job.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I hope this is helpful.

Tom...

Probably ;D ;D ;D

However I can't type or read on one of those itty bitty things.  I have a lap top with a huge monitor and a full size key board. 

Damn near blind as it is.  Fat fingers don't only hit one key any more.  Hell I can barely dial a rotary phone as my fingers don't fit in the little holes any more.  I have to hold a pencil in my mouth to dial my cell phone. ;D

SeilerBird said:
Or you could just get a Chromebook and never pay the Windows tax again.

I know you are fond of those Chromebooks, Tom, and I'm certainly not a "fan" of Windows, but I'm curious what you do when there is no internet available.

Larry N. said:
I know you are fond of those Chromebooks, Tom, and I'm certainly not a "fan" of Windows, but I'm curious what you do when there is no internet available.
I never have that problem. My phone is a hot spot so I always have Internet. But if I did there are a lot of apps that run offline now. It was people's biggest complaint when Chromebooks were new but Google has done a lot to solve that issue.

Tom Hoffman said:
Probably ;D ;D ;D

However I can't type or read on one of those itty bitty things.  I have a lap top with a huge monitor and a full size key board. 

Damn near blind as it is.  Fat fingers don't only hit one key any more.  Hell I can barely dial a rotary phone as my fingers don't fit in the little holes any more.  I have to hold a pencil in my mouth to dial my cell phone. ;D
My Chromebook has a 13 inch monitor and they make them as large as 16 inches. Mine has a full size keyboard.

Tom Hoffman said:
I had to have my laptop W-7 worked on for an internal hard drive change and as I was paying my local computer Guru, I asked him if I should go ahead and up grade.  His response was interesting,  he has up graded his machines (6) and has only had a single trouble free up grade,  He is monitoring his kid's and his other ones and is getting ready to reinstall W-7. 

Sorry to hear of your problems Tom.

In contrast, I have upgraded 11 different machines since August of last year, running a mix of Win7, Win8 and Win 8.1.  Every update has gone smoothly.
This is three of my own (plus two re-built spares that I loan out) and 6 for clients.  My own Laptop is a 6 yr old Lenovo which was running Windows 7 Pro.

Did your "guru" mention what particular problems he was having with his various machines.  Sometimes it is just a matter of not cleaning up the machine properly first, then upgrading.  He also may just not have liked Windows 10 and was passing on his opinion which sounds a bit biased.  However, there is no doubt that others, plenty of others have had problems with their upgrades.

I have mixed feelings so far as to if I want to stick with Windows 10 or revert to Windows 7.  (I'm not bound by the 30 day reversal option since I always make a full image backup before doing an upgrade...or any client repair for that matter) So I can still return any of those computers to their previous state.

Most of my clients do not "stress" their computers much, mostly dealing with email and surfing the net is all they do. 

I have kept my main computer (this one I am using now) on Windows 7 Pro and will likely do so until there is no other choice (other than Linux) 8).

Good luck with yours and Windows 7 will be around for for a long time yet. (2020 or perhaps longer)

Gord

I've updated all three of my computers to W-10 without a ripple as well. And my daughter's too, so four altogether. They all came from either W7 or W8.1.

But there surely are some things that can cause problems, and perhaps Seilerbird's guru was using one of those problem things. Device drivers, oddball software, whatever.

Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 on my laptop went very smoothly. All old software, and even my old printer, worked just fine.

A couple of W 10 upgrades later and Nikon Transfer (software to transfer pics from my Nikon camera to computer) no long auto-launches when I connect card reader with card installed to computer. I may try a reinstall of Nikon Transfer, but it's really not a big deal to just go ahead and launch the program because once I launch it it shows all the pics on my card right away. So, it's just the auto-launch that's not really working on that software.

10 seems to be faster than 7, but not a huge amount faster.

I had one glitch with W10, and it turned out to be fairly wide spread. While trying to scroll through files, the list would automatically pop back to the top before you could click the file you wanted.  The fix was later posted on the MS site.  It seems that if you go into the preference menu, and uncheck a box that will automatically select a background color on your screen, the problem goes away.

Must be some sort of conflicting code causing the issue. But at least the fix was easy.  There was another fix that worked too, which I first employed. You had to sign into the computer using an administrator account instead of a user account.  I reverted back to a user account once the background color bug was discovered.

4 upgraded to W10 without problems.
2 laptops and 2 desktops.
2 were W7 while 2 were W8.

The only thing I ever have problems with is sometimes after an update, I have to reset
permissions to network the 4 computers.

Total of 7 updated...2 w7/w8.1 pro to 10, 2 W7 to w10, 1 w8 to w10. All without issue. Personally only problems with edge and some w10 impact on other browsers.
Glad I updated.

Looks like this thread has gone off in a direction not intended.  My chief irritation with MS and W-10 was and is the method chosen to try and compel users to change.  Constant harassment at the beginning with intrusive pop ups telling of our LIMITED TIME TO SWITCH FOR FREE. 

You of course remember the old  saying about the "Free Lunch" which seems to be born out by the hidden things in W-10 that we are not told about, that perhaps in the future may come out to bite us in the butt.  I have become very suspect of most stuff I am told is good or bad for me any more,  I guess I am suffering from an acute case of "Curmudgeon Syndrome" evidenced by the fact that I have gotten to be terribly grumpy of late:

Curmudgeon Definition:

An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions but often worth listening to.
The "voice of experience" is often the "voice of wisdom"and  "sometimes the voice of ignorance"

Oh' well, have a good night.

I don't know why, but my W8.1 Surface Pro 3 has never nagged once. Option resides in the tray, but silently.

Ernie

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that MS is not out to get you. ;) :D

I've upgraded three Lenovos (one desktop and two Laptops).  The only problem was the requirement to de-select switched graphics in BIOS on the laptops.  All started life with Win-7 PRO.

I have one additional win-7 HOME laptop that won't upgrade.  It gives an unknown error message and drops back to Win-7.  I can't seem to find the problem.

Interestingly, my Guru told me that not all persons computers have been getting the cute little pop up
W-10 notification.  My wife's has yet to be notified and is unaware of all the brouhaha.

I wonder why that is???

Tom Hoffman said:
Interestingly, my Guru told me that not all persons computers have been getting the cute little pop up
W-10 notification.  My wife's has yet to be notified and is unaware of all the brouhaha.

I wonder why that is???
Because computers have their settings set differently. Notifications are handled differently according to the way the notifications are set. All you have to do is change your notifications settings and it won't bother you anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom