EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Irritating W-10  (Read 6009 times)

Tom Hoffman

• ---
Irritating W-10
« on: January 02, 2016, 11:58:12 AM »
I have been very irritated about the W-10 issue.  I have tried to ignore the almost forced upgrade to W-10 by MS. 

I am not a comfortable user of computers to any great degree.  So the constant pop up of the W-10 screen with its dire implications of future doom if I failed to up grade has really rubbed me the wrong way. 

I had to have my laptop W-7 worked on for an internal hard drive change and as I was paying my local computer Guru, I asked him if I should go ahead and up grade.  His response was interesting,  he has up graded his machines (6) and has only had a single trouble free up grade,  He is monitoring his kid's and his other ones and is getting ready to reinstall W-7. 

As I have not up graded I asked him how I could stop a potential forced up grade some time in the near future as W-10 seems to be amping up the strident call for immediate up grade.

My Guru gave me this cute little link to install to get rid of the pop ups and any pre existing files installed along with some of the recent updates that we all seem to get.

I installed it and it does seem to have done the job.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I hope this is helpful.

Tom...
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Irritating W-10
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:02:19 PM »
Or you could just get a Chromebook and never pay the Windows tax again.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 12:15:43 PM »
Probably ;D ;D ;D

However I can't type or read on one of those itty bitty things.  I have a lap top with a huge monitor and a full size key board. 

Damn near blind as it is.  Fat fingers don't only hit one key any more.  Hell I can barely dial a rotary phone as my fingers don't fit in the little holes any more.  I have to hold a pencil in my mouth to dial my cell phone. ;D
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:25:37 PM »
Or you could just get a Chromebook and never pay the Windows tax again.

I know you are fond of those Chromebooks, Tom, and I'm certainly not a "fan" of Windows, but I'm curious what you do when there is no internet available.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
I know you are fond of those Chromebooks, Tom, and I'm certainly not a "fan" of Windows, but I'm curious what you do when there is no internet available.
I never have that problem. My phone is a hot spot so I always have Internet. But if I did there are a lot of apps that run offline now. It was people's biggest complaint when Chromebooks were new but Google has done a lot to solve that issue.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »
Probably ;D ;D ;D

However I can't type or read on one of those itty bitty things.  I have a lap top with a huge monitor and a full size key board. 

Damn near blind as it is.  Fat fingers don't only hit one key any more.  Hell I can barely dial a rotary phone as my fingers don't fit in the little holes any more.  I have to hold a pencil in my mouth to dial my cell phone. ;D
My Chromebook has a 13 inch monitor and they make them as large as 16 inches. Mine has a full size keyboard.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Gord N.

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 01:53:21 PM »

I had to have my laptop W-7 worked on for an internal hard drive change and as I was paying my local computer Guru, I asked him if I should go ahead and up grade.  His response was interesting,  he has up graded his machines (6) and has only had a single trouble free up grade,  He is monitoring his kid's and his other ones and is getting ready to reinstall W-7. 

Sorry to hear of your problems Tom.

In contrast, I have upgraded 11 different machines since August of last year, running a mix of Win7, Win8 and Win 8.1.  Every update has gone smoothly.
This is three of my own (plus two re-built spares that I loan out) and 6 for clients.  My own Laptop is a 6 yr old Lenovo which was running Windows 7 Pro.

Did your "guru" mention what particular problems he was having with his various machines.  Sometimes it is just a matter of not cleaning up the machine properly first, then upgrading.  He also may just not have liked Windows 10 and was passing on his opinion which sounds a bit biased.  However, there is no doubt that others, plenty of others have had problems with their upgrades.

I have mixed feelings so far as to if I want to stick with Windows 10 or revert to Windows 7.  (I'm not bound by the 30 day reversal option since I always make a full image backup before doing an upgrade...or any client repair for that matter) So I can still return any of those computers to their previous state.

Most of my clients do not "stress" their computers much, mostly dealing with email and surfing the net is all they do. 

I have kept my main computer (this one I am using now) on Windows 7 Pro and will likely do so until there is no other choice (other than Linux) 8).

Good luck with yours and Windows 7 will be around for for a long time yet. (2020 or perhaps longer)

Gord

eliallen

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
I know you are fond of those Chromebooks,
I think he has stock. :) ;)

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »
I think he has stock. :) ;)
I wish I had stock in Google. :o
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 06:29:13 PM »
I've updated all three of my computers to W-10 without a ripple as well. And my daughter's too, so four altogether. They all came from either W7 or W8.1.

But there surely are some things that can cause problems, and perhaps Seilerbird's guru was using one of those problem things. Device drivers, oddball software, whatever.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 07:06:07 PM »
Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 on my laptop went very smoothly. All old software, and even my old printer, worked just fine.

A couple of W 10 upgrades later and Nikon Transfer (software to transfer pics from my Nikon camera to computer) no long auto-launches when I connect card reader with card installed to computer. I may try a reinstall of Nikon Transfer, but it's really not a big deal to just go ahead and launch the program because once I launch it it shows all the pics on my card right away. So, it's just the auto-launch that's not really working on that software.

10 seems to be faster than 7, but not a huge amount faster.
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali. 6.6L Diesel. 4x4
Arctic Fox 22G.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 07:22:09 PM »
I had one glitch with W10, and it turned out to be fairly wide spread. While trying to scroll through files, the list would automatically pop back to the top before you could click the file you wanted.  The fix was later posted on the MS site.  It seems that if you go into the preference menu, and uncheck a box that will automatically select a background color on your screen, the problem goes away.

Must be some sort of conflicting code causing the issue. But at least the fix was easy.  There was another fix that worked too, which I first employed. You had to sign into the computer using an administrator account instead of a user account.  I reverted back to a user account once the background color bug was discovered.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

oldme

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 07:22:30 PM »
4 upgraded to W10 without problems.
2 laptops and 2 desktops.
2 were W7 while 2 were W8.

The only thing I ever have problems with is sometimes after an update, I have to reset
permissions to network the 4 computers.

BobNSam

• ---
  • Travel/golf/reading/bridge in any order
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 08:11:15 PM »
Total of 7 updated...2 w7/w8.1 pro to 10, 2 W7 to w10, 1 w8 to w10. All without issue. Personally only problems with edge and some w10 impact on other browsers.
Glad I updated.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE
2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ
Road master tow stuff
DirecTV with Genie/Trav'ler Antenna
2+2 USAF Retired (2IDGITS)

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 09:36:26 PM »
Looks like this thread has gone off in a direction not intended.  My chief irritation with MS and W-10 was and is the method chosen to try and compel users to change.  Constant harassment at the beginning with intrusive pop ups telling of our LIMITED TIME TO SWITCH FOR FREE.   

You of course remember the old  saying about the "Free Lunch" which seems to be born out by the hidden things in W-10 that we are not told about, that perhaps in the future may come out to bite us in the butt.  I have become very suspect of most stuff I am told is good or bad for me any more,  I guess I am suffering from an acute case of "Curmudgeon Syndrome" evidenced by the fact that I have gotten to be terribly grumpy of late:

Curmudgeon Definition:

An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions but often worth listening to.
The "voice of experience" is often the "voice of wisdom"and  "sometimes the voice of ignorance"

Oh' well, have a good night.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:43:14 PM by Tom Hoffman »

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 09:46:11 AM »
I don't know why, but my W8.1 Surface Pro 3 has never nagged once. Option resides in the tray, but silently.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 10:12:15 AM »
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that MS is not out to get you. ;) :D
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 10:18:19 AM »
I've upgraded three Lenovos (one desktop and two Laptops).  The only problem was the requirement to de-select switched graphics in BIOS on the laptops.  All started life with Win-7 PRO.

I have one additional win-7 HOME laptop that won't upgrade.  It gives an unknown error message and drops back to Win-7.  I can't seem to find the problem.
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 10:37:12 AM »
Interestingly, my Guru told me that not all persons computers have been getting the cute little pop up
W-10 notification.  My wife's has yet to be notified and is unaware of all the brouhaha.

I wonder why that is???

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »
Interestingly, my Guru told me that not all persons computers have been getting the cute little pop up
W-10 notification.  My wife's has yet to be notified and is unaware of all the brouhaha.

I wonder why that is???
Because computers have their settings set differently. Notifications are handled differently according to the way the notifications are set. All you have to do is change your notifications settings and it won't bother you anymore.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

rockman

• ---
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 02:15:06 PM »
I upgraded to W 10 (I use the term upgraded loosely) and wish I still had W7, but I am past the 30 free return.  I has been a major PIA.  Started with wiping out everything I had on my computer.  All folder, files etc.  Glad I have Carbonite.  The last update managed to keep me off the internet for a while with every web site I accessed being re-directed to secure.frontier.com.  Apparently every web site no longer has a valid security certificate.  Oh wait, today they do . . . GRRRRRR  Once back on line, you cannot call Microsoft, you have to contact them online, wait, my problem was I couldn't get online . . . .  I use Firefox, but every time I get an update windows tries to take over more territory on my computer & I have to launch a counter offensive to retake lost ground.  Given the option I would stay the heck away from W10
Nick, Marian & our 3 fur babies
(make that 5, now have 2 kitties that go with us)
1995 Thor Residency 36M
460 Ford w/Banks Exhaust System
Hydraulic Jacks

Howard R

• ---
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 10:57:13 PM »
I too fail to see what I have to gain by being forced to upgrade to W10 ... my programs work ... my printers work ... I more or less know how things work ... ah, da????    Years back I had to trash a scanner because of upgrading the Operating system ... no new drivers that I could find.

I am really getting tired of the nag screen ...   >:(

Howard

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 35R
V10   F53
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Minnesota

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 05:31:01 AM »
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 06:20:20 AM »
That article is way out of date.  The only reliable method I've found of controlling the update to Windows 10 is the GWX Control Panel.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 08:23:50 AM »
Looks like this thread has gone off in a direction not intended.  My chief irritation with MS and W-10 was and is the method chosen to try and compel users to change.  Constant harassment at the beginning with intrusive pop ups telling of our LIMITED TIME TO SWITCH FOR FREE.   

Have to agree with you 100 percent.  I have spent what seems like hours deleting those 'update' files that are nothing more than shills for inputting that Windows 10 install stuff.  I am old and set in my ways and proud of it.  I loved XP.  After suffering through a couple years of Windows ME, anything would be an  improvement.  Next new desk top had Windows 7 and I have come to like that very much but when it became obvious that I could not haul it in the coach, we bought another (wife already had one) laptop with Windows 8.  I am still not comfortable with that yet so going with Windows 10 just has no interest to me.  I am just one of those email and read web site guys so can see no benefits.  So I will try your file to delete all that W-10 upgrade hype.  It seems to have finally disappeared from the desktop W7 (after it told me this computer was not eligible for the free upgrade) but has increased in intensity on the w-8 laptop.  Good thread - shows a lot of different opinions.  Oh I also do not use Facebook or Twitter - which means I am now a nonperson on all those sites that only allow comments through a social media site.  Suits me fine.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
That article is way out of date.  The only reliable method I've found of controlling the update to Windows 10 is the GWX Control Panel.
Seilerbird's link has the current GWX Control Panel download.  Works great.  Just used it and the W-10 icon has gone bye bye.
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 09:12:37 AM »
Oh I also do not use Facebook or Twitter - which means I am now a nonperson on all those sites that only allow comments through a social media site.  Suits me fine.

Bill, My sentiments exactly.  I am just paranoid enough to believe hanging your "Life" out for all to see on facebook or any other idiot social media site can't be good in the long haul.  I have yet to figure out why people feel it's OK to do it. 

rockman

• ---
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 09:33:04 AM »
Oh I also do not use Facebook or Twitter - which means I am now a nonperson on all those sites that only allow comments through a social media site.  Suits me fine.

Bill, My sentiments exactly.  I am just paranoid enough to believe hanging your "Life" out for all to see on facebook or any other idiot social media site can't be good in the long haul.  I have yet to figure out why people feel it's OK to do it.

Same here . . .
Nick, Marian & our 3 fur babies
(make that 5, now have 2 kitties that go with us)
1995 Thor Residency 36M
460 Ford w/Banks Exhaust System
Hydraulic Jacks

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 10:04:14 AM »
I agree. We hang enough out on forums.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 10:50:39 AM »
Bravo 8)
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

nvrver

• ---
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 01:40:07 PM »
I still using my Windows 7 home premium version and I have never had anything from MS telling me I need to update to Windows 10.  Infact I have been wondering why I have not received anything.  I think I would like to update to Windows 10 and have been waiting to receive something.  Two sides to every story!  Dick nvrver
Charter Life Member Good Sam
RVing since 1984
2006 Winnebago Class C, Ford V-10
2013 Honda CR-V EX AWD
Member WIT - Washoe Winnies

eliallen

• ---
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 06:52:23 PM »

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »

I believe most posters on the forums post for specific info, or to try and be a help to fellow RV'rs.  Very few spew every idiot thought that floats randomly between their ears.  My wife seems compelled to hang the most inane thoughts and pictures and videos that she comes across. 

I have told her time and again I want nothing regarding me posted on Facebook.  I would be perfectly content to be completely invisible to the Family and Friends who have to patronize it.

I feel my curmudgeon syndrome manifesting once again. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:08:12 PM by Tom Hoffman »

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 07:15:09 PM »
I'm at the other end of the spectrum.  I like Windows 10.  A lot.  And I use FaceBook every day to stay in touch with friends & family all over the world.

I'd advise you to get a Mac but my luck with Macs is pretty bad lately.  I had to restore my Mac Mini (Christmas gift) twice before I got it set up the way I wanted.

Chrome is a good idea, but I've been in the business too long (since 1968) to put much trust in 'the cloud'.  It's OK as a backup but I wouldn't put my only copy of anything in it.  I'm also not fond of Google or anybody else capturing every keystroke and storing it 'in the cloud'.  First thing I'd do with a chrome book or box would be to put it into developer mode and load Ubuntu Linux.

Seriously, if you bite the bullet, ignore the negative hype, and spend a couple of weeks with it you'll probably like it.  If you're nervous about going back do a full disk backup to an external drive - I use ToDo backup (free) from www.majorgeeks.com.  No time limit on going back that way.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:36:54 PM by 8Muddypaws »
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 08:03:23 AM »
I'm at the other end of the spectrum.  I like Windows 10.  A lot.  And I use FaceBook every day to stay in touch with friends & family all over the world.

This is probably the most common statement I see from those who support and use social media and I don't criticize them for it.  But you know what?  I do the exact same thing with email and Skype.  I see good things and bad things about social media in the news but it seems lately that the bad is starting to outrun the good.  For a society that whines about privacy every five minutes, I have a hard time equating privacy with anything that happens on social media. 
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 09:08:54 AM »
One rule applies, "If you're not paying for it, you're the product".
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 09:57:02 AM »
People use social media for a lot of other uses than describing every moment of their life.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 04:57:34 PM »
Tom,

Do you do your photo editing on a Mac?  Which app?

Russ
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 05:08:15 PM »
Do you do your photo editing on a Mac?  Which app?
No I use Lightroom in Windows 10. However since I started using my Samsung S6 I have found that I rarely need to do much editing. The colors come out almost perfect every time and I rarely need to crop. It is the only reason I keep my Windows computer around, everything else I can do in my Chromebook. There are rumors that Adobe will be making a version for Android and for Chromebook and when that comes true I will be able to sell my windows machine. I do like W10 a lot but I like Chrome a lot better.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Timster

• ---
    • Computer Repair
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 09:00:12 PM »
Being the new guy here on these forums I'll chime in on this subject as I am in the business.

I own a well established computer repair shop and based strictly on what  I have seen and people that I have talked to is that for the most part users are having a good experience and a flawless upgrade to Windows 10. Everything went smooth, without a hitch and their computer even seems to run faster.

On the other hand there are a fair amount of people that have had issues to some degree with the upgrade process or have troubles after the upgrade is complete. A wide range of issues that vary from user to user. Including the same exact issues that the members talk about here.

Most of the people I speak with, when it comes to the Windows 10 thing have no issues. The people who do have issues.... well I get to share in their frustrations as their Windows 10 headaches end up on my work bench.
A big issue I see is that users have an existing problem with their computer before the upgrade. Whether it be errors, running slow, popups etc... So in their mind they think that upgrading to Windows 10 will magically make all of those existing problems go away. That is a bad reason to try and upgrade as those original problems will most likely cause deeper issues after the upgrade.

Now there is another fair bit of users that have no original issues at all before the upgrade and they decide to give Windows 10 a try and wish they never did. This is in no way the fault of the user.

So I do see quite a few computers coming through my shop that have not played well with Windows 10 and I would say that most of those had no previous issue.

My point being is that if I am seeing these issues come through my shop at my one location it makes me wonder what the ratio really is of good experience vs bad experience really is and why is Microsoft using it's users as guinea pigs. I would have thought that they would have released this major upgrade AFTER it has been thoroughly tested just as they did with Windows 7.

Then there is the big change in the license agreement in Windows 10 that I will not get into.

I think Windows 10 is a great looking operating system and has some unique features. I am not sure of Microsoft's future intentions by releasing Window 10 for free. Call me skeptical.
*2013 1400RB Aspen Trail Travel Trailer
*TV: Nissan Exterra
*Home: Savannah GA
http://www.TimsComputerFix.net
Love RV Adventures

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 05:55:42 AM »
My point being is that if I am seeing these issues come through my shop at my one location it makes me wonder what the ratio really is of good experience vs bad experience really is and why is Microsoft using it's users as guinea pigs. I would have thought that they would have released this major upgrade AFTER it has been thoroughly tested just as they did with Windows 7.
There are just too many different types of computers and too many different third party programs that conflict and that makes it impossible for MS to test every configuration. If they tried they would never release anything. Meanwhile you are not seeing a representative sample of computers coming through your shop. There are too many users like myself whom have never taken a computer into a repair shop.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Timster

• ---
    • Computer Repair
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
There are just too many different types of computers and too many different third party programs that conflict and that makes it impossible for MS to test every configuration. If they tried they would never release anything. Meanwhile you are not seeing a representative sample of computers coming through your shop. There are too many users like myself whom have never taken a computer into a repair shop.

When Windows 7 upgrade was released issues where far less common. I do agree it is impossible to test all scenarios. As I stated I know that most users also have no issue.
Love RV Adventures

Gord N.

• ---
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »
When Windows 7 upgrade was released issues where far less common. I do agree it is impossible to test all scenarios. As I stated I know that most users also have no issue.
Hi Timster:
This is not intended to be a criticism of you or your business.  The statistics surrounding your contention that "most users also have no issue" are at best, subjective (mostly provided by people with a vested interest, or by Microsoft itself) and cannot be considered a reliable guideline, being that it is so early after the release of Windows 10.
As I stated in an earlier post, I have not had any problems with upgrades either for myself or clients BUT that is only speaking for a small town where I conduct my business.
Similarly, you may be able to speak for Savanna, GA area, but beyond that you are mostly relying on the opinions of others I would think. 
Conversely, there are people who just don't like it, or are frustrated because it made them change from the familiar to the unknown. Those people have a voice as well, and have said so on this forum. Opinions may change over time, but there will always be dropouts and cop-outs. 
If it is any consolation to them, I too am 'slipping back to my Windows 7' OS for lots of things.   

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »
Most users do not have an issue. If they did there would be a mass migration away from Windows. They do have competition.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Timster

• ---
    • Computer Repair
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 04:59:28 PM »
Hi Timster:
This is not intended to be a criticism of you or your business.  The statistics surrounding your contention that "most users also have no issue" are at best, subjective (mostly provided by people with a vested interest, or by Microsoft itself) and cannot be considered a reliable guideline, being that it is so early after the release of Windows 10.
As I stated in an earlier post, I have not had any problems with upgrades either for myself or clients BUT that is only speaking for a small town where I conduct my business.
Similarly, you may be able to speak for Savanna, GA area, but beyond that you are mostly relying on the opinions of others I would think. 
Conversely, there are people who just don't like it, or are frustrated because it made them change from the familiar to the unknown. Those people have a voice as well, and have said so on this forum. Opinions may change over time, but there will always be dropouts and cop-outs. 
If it is any consolation to them, I too am 'slipping back to my Windows 7' OS for lots of things.

Agreed, that is exactly why I opened the my post with "strictly on what  I have seen and people that I have talked to"

I have no bias for or against Windows 10. I do have a issue with the EULA that Microsoft has attached to Windows 10. Other than that my statements are strictly based on what I have observed in my area in my line of work. I will say that I am in contact with many other repair techs around the world who see these exact issues in their shop.

In my line of work all I am going to see are the users that are having issues. Not the ones that are having no issues. I do realize this.
Love RV Adventures

Hosted by Over The Network