Automotive OBD2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denmarc

Knowing that OBD systems can be a PITA, I hope this simple question is a no brainer. The battery in the DW's 2011 Honda CR-V is starting to show signs of fatigue with the weather getting cold. I don't like playing games. I will be replacing the battery. Here is my question...

Do I really need to purchase a memory saver? Any reason why I just can't hook up an external battery via jumper cables to the auto's cable terminals before removing the battery? Therefore, retaining the computer and radio memories?

Am I missing something that makes my question sound too easy?

Some jump boxes have cigarette plug adapter use that. If you don't have one you can make one out of a old 12v cig. plug in the 12v power in the dash its safer. Just make sure every thing is off. And be careful with the pos. batt. terminal wrap a rag over it will be hot!

denmarc said:
Do I really need to purchase a memory saver? Any reason why I just can't hook up an external battery via jumper cables to the auto's cable terminals before removing the battery? Therefore, retaining the computer and radio memories?

Sounds simple enough to do if it was done with 2 people.  One person holding the cables in the air and the other swapping out the batteries.

Is it a big concern? A few radio presets and maybe a day while the computers re-learn your driving habits? It's not like it goes belly up when the engine & body computers reset.

You are both on the same page as I. I just couldn't figure that it could be that easy with proper care. Thought maybe there was something I overlooked that would make my idea the wrong thing to do.

Gary, I understand that it's not like the Honda will blow up or shut down. However, I am also to understand that the computers takes longer than a day or two to accommodate ones driving habits. Not that a few more days would make that much of a difference under warmer circumstances. My concern is ease of retaining the memory with such an easy solution without any additional purchase.

In other words, is a memory saver necessary?

William52 said:
Its a Honda better have radio code handy. You will need it if power to it goes dead.

The root of my question.

Gary, BTW...
If my DW doesn't have her radio tuned to her stations after battery replacement, she will hunt you down!  :mad:

Wow!

Google "auto memory saver" and choose shopping.

They have pigtails that plug into the cigarette socket and a 9V battery for under $10. And cables that plug into the OBD port and the 12V outlet of a "JumpStart" type battery pack.

I guess anything that keeps some volts available to the electronics will keep them from resetting to factory default.

Manual for my VW lays out a series of maneuvers that have to be completed for the on-board computer to get back to efficient driving settings after disconnecting the battery. Things like X number of stop and go, then a certain distance at 45mph or more continuous, then some hard acceleration. Basically it will get through the check list in a few days normal driving.

Hello you can use a spare battery and jumper cables, or make sure you have radio code and write down radio settings and put them in after you change battery if something goes wrong with changing battery. A Honda will run fine if you change out the battery with no battery minder. If you do not know the radio code call Honda dealer parts dept they can tell you which buttons to push to tell you the code. If you Ned more help PM me And I will explain or get code for you. I will be in my shop on Monday

Bill

Let me put it this way.. So long as you do not slip and short something out.. YOUR PLAN IS GOOD.

It will work just fine..

Page2  You can get a Jump Start pack at most auto places. This is a plastic case with a short pair of cables and battery clamps. it has an AGM battery inside, usually in the 20-30 amp hour range but the better ones will jump start most anything. 

I have used several of these over the last 20 or 30 years.  750 amps (Peak amp reating) is good for jump starting cars and light trucks, Might do a gas motor home, WIll do the generator on same.

Smaller ones can do what you need, plus run a portable work light or fan and likely start the generator. 

In short.. VERY HANDY DEVICES.

If the radio presets are that important to Mama, then you had better save them. A memory saver cable device is only about $10 on Amazon, but anywhere from $15-$50 at local auto parts stores. No difference in them as far as I can see. Heck, you could make one with a 12v plug and some clip leads.

FWIW: Did your car run poorly when you drove it home from the dealer? It didn't know your driving style then either.

When our was replaced in the CRV I just replaced it normally.
No memory Saver needed. A waste of money.
Reset any missing radio station and a 10 min drive had all the other items set.

denmarc said:
You are both on the same page as I. I just couldn't figure that it could be that easy with proper care. Thought maybe there was something I overlooked that would make my idea the wrong thing to do.

Gary, I understand that it's not like the Honda will blow up or shut down. However, I am also to understand that the computers takes longer than a day or two to accommodate ones driving habits. Not that a few more days would make that much of a difference under warmer circumstances. My concern is ease of retaining the memory with such an easy solution without any additional purchase.

In other words, is a memory saver necessary?

No not really some cars are worst than others Honda radio code is not a problem as long as you have it. May need to relearn windows/sunroof that's abt.it. Others seats,mirrors can be PITA The 9v batt sometimes don,t  work and never load it(open a door) Zap!

Edit: fixed quotes  -scottydl

It appears the general consensus is what I was thinking. I'm going to get a new battery today and give it a try. I see absolutely no reason why a spare battery and some jumpers wouldn't work. The spare battery is in my garage and the jumpers are in the back of my truck. What the heck! No additional cost over the new battery with the same results. If all goes well.

Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the replies.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Is it a big concern? A few radio presets and maybe a day while the computers re-learn your driving habits? It's not like it goes belly up when the engine & body computers reset.

That's not the only issue.  The radios have an anti theft code that has to be entered after a power loss.  If you don't have the code handy it's a complete PITA to find it.  In some cases it requires removal of the radio to get serial numbers, then calling Honda, and maybe a service charge.

When I change batteries I use jumper cables.  Other unexpected things can happen too.  I learned that the hard way when my F250 locked the doors (with the keys inside) when I removed both batteries.

denmarc said:
It appears the general consensus is what I was thinking. I'm going to get a new battery today and give it a try. I see absolutely no reason why a spare battery and some jumpers wouldn't work. The spare battery is in my garage and the jumpers are in the back of my truck. What the heck! No additional cost over the new battery with the same results. If all goes well.

Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the replies.
Marc just get 12v some way on the car thur cig/12v plug when changing batts. Radio code on door on lower glove box.

William52 said:
Radio code on door on lower glove box.

Here is the update:

William52 and my DW got the job done. Installed the new battery using the external battery and jumper cable scenario. Found that I had to think steps ahead before removing any cables. Wanted to be sure jumpers would not impede removal of battery shroud and battery before removing terminals.
After installing the new battery, jumped in the car and turned on the key to start. Guess what?...
Radio needed the damn code!
I started to spew many words not mentionable here! Thinking I screwed things up, I cowered and asked the DW if she remembered where the dealership got the code off the vehicle a few years back.
Boy, did I get an earfull! Reluctantly, she went out to the garage with me. I followed like a whipped puppy. With her memory and William52s mention, we found the code to unlock the radio. All presets were still intact.

All is well now. Not sure if the external battery and jumper cable idea was a good one or not. Everything else on the car that is preset is the same. Seems like the radio is just super sensitive to any change in input voltage. Just my guess.

Thanks to everyone. If nothing else, it was an experience that may help someone.

Lou Schneider said:
Wow.  All this nonsense is making me happier and happier with my pre-2000 car.

You're not kidding, Lou! I was going to look for something a bit newer to replace my '98 Dodge pickup come Spring.

Getting to the point where you need to have an engineering degree in auto technology just to change the oil.

denmarc said:
Here is the update:

William52 and my DW got the job done. Installed the new battery using the external battery and jumper cable scenario. Found that I had to think steps ahead before removing any cables. Wanted to be sure jumpers would not impede removal of battery shroud and battery before removing terminals.
After installing the new battery, jumped in the car and turned on the key to start. Guess what?...
Radio needed the damn code!
I started to spew many words not mentionable here! Thinking I screwed things up, I cowered and asked the DW if she remembered where the dealership got the code off the vehicle a few years back.
Boy, did I get an earfull! Reluctantly, she went out to the garage with me. I followed like a whipped puppy. With her memory and William52s mention, we found the code to unlock the radio. All presets were still intact.

All is well now. Not sure if the external battery and jumper cable idea was a good one or not. Everything else on the car that is preset is the same. Seems like the radio is just super sensitive to any change in input voltage. Just my guess.

Thanks to everyone. If nothing else, it was an experience that may help someone.
  You should be glad you don't drive a BMW! Can be worst...Code was there? Some dealers put them elsewhere?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom