What Brand Of Truck Should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi folks.  Looking to retire and full time RV it in a few years.  Already have the 5th wheel picked out, Grand Design Solitude 379FL.

I am not a truck guy and have never owned one.  I know I am looking at a diesel F350, Ram 3500 or GM 3500 dual. All depends on who I ask on what brand they suggest. If I was counting votes I would say Ram 3500 has been the one I have been told the most to buy. Then Ford them GM. I find Dodge people say never buy a Ford and Ford people say never buy a Dodge. While only a few have said to go GM, I do not recall anyone saying never get one.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Just do you do not need to look it up the 379FL is 39 feet. GVWR of 16,000 pounds and a dry weight of 12,650. Hitch weight id 2600 and axel rating is 7000 (x2)

Drive all three, buy the one you like the best.  All have their pluses and minuses.  If ever something was highly subjective, it's which brand of truck to buy.

Your are looking at a big truck no matter what - you are into F350/3500 territory with that Grand Design.

I agree with Frizlefrack - all three build solid trucks, and each has its little pros and cons. Once having assured you are looking at trucks that can actually handle the gross combined weight and payload (the 5W pin weight), choose the one your wife likes best.

Another thought is to look at which trucks are pulling rvs the most.  Out here in WA, you will see more Fords and Rams more than GM. You probably won't go wrong with whichever one you choose. Make sure it has all the goodies you want and is the right color!! ;D ;D

I second the advice of test driving several trucks.

When people ask about class A or C the advice is "floorplan, floorplan, floorplan."

When asking about tow vehicle for a 5th wheel, I'd say "cab layout, cab layout, cab layout."

Test drive each. Reach for the controls. figure where the brake controller will be and reach for it. Where will you put your drink. Does the seat support your lower back. How's the field of view, any large posts blocking it. Are the mirrors big enough, do they shake, or are they solid. Does the door open wide enough, or does it tend to be in your way when you get in and out.

You will find one that is comfortable for you.

Howdy Gary, and TrevorAndSusan,

Gary RV Roamer said:
Your are looking at a big truck no matter what - you are into F350/3500 territory with that Grand Design.

I'd say more: they (TrevorAndSusan) are solidly into dually (DRW) territory. No way to safely tow 16K lb with a SRW even with a 1-ton PU truck, and it is good that they know it already. I know that because me and Mo would rather much have a SRW than a DRW (less "lateral excess" so we can easily wash it in standard car washes rather that truck washes, easier to park when not towing, and easier to do 4WD with, which is something we definitely want to try). But then, we plan on limiting ourselves to a 5thWheel under 30ft and 12K GVWR.

I agree with Frizlefrack - all three build solid trucks, and each has its little pros and cons. Once having assured you are looking at trucks that can actually handle the gross combined weight and payload (the 5W pin weight), choose the one your wife likes best.

TrevorAndSusan, I second Gary's advice, and extend it: do your math and make sure that (accounting not only with the trailer's pin weight but with what you will be carrying directly in the truck -- both on the bed as in the cab) neither the front nor the rear GAWRs are going to be exceeded. Leave a good safety margin, like 10%, and you're gold. 

That said, we've been discouraged of considering Chevy/GMs because we could not find official/published numbers for their dry, GVWR and GAWR weights; so we've been considering either the Ford or the Dodge. Checking diesel enthusiast forums and the like, the consensus seems to be that Dodge has the better diesel engine (Cummins) while Ford has the better everything else (body/chassis/suspension/etc). Also, I've heard that Ford -- perhaps due to the difficult mass problems situation with the 6.0 and 6.4 engines -- has an habit of trying to deny due warranty service as much as possible. A good thread (at a Ford enthusiast forum!) we came upon lately was this one:

Who cross-shopped a RAM 2500/3500? Why did you pick your [Ford] superduty?

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Im going to buck the trend here Jd Power rates the 2015 Chevy/Gmc (essentially it the same truck, same platform different styling cues ) Highest of the the 3 Ford,GMC/Chev , Dodge

Dodge - pros highest tow rating of the three, awesome styling, great motor the Cummins is awesome
Cons  - front end is weak ball joints need replacing every 10,000 miles,( google search - issues with dodge ram ball joints) poor electrics, low resale

Ford - pros  - Awesome styling looks great love it
Cons - 2016 brings a new Aluminum truck, not proven, no numbers, aluminum in a hail storm means MAJOR DAMAGE - wait a year for the kinks to get worked out, but i really really like it just wait

GM/Chev - Pros - Duramax Allison is the best combo made (fact), most comfortable ride of the three ( read Trucks Plus Magazine where they did a comparison of all 3 March /April 2015,i think?) , highest resale value, Highest Jd power rating of the three.
Cons- kinda boring styling, very predictable interior really needs updating even though its new.

YOU DO NOT NEED A DUALLY - all three are capable of towing 17,000 lbs 5ers, a dually DOES offer a monacum of better stability and weight capability, however all three manufactures have anti- sway built into their trucks, all three ( when ford brings out the new 2016) offer payload in excess of 4000 lbs. Yes a dually offers some advantages, ie payload and a little more stability, but they also have cons - 6 tires not 4, wider and harder to park, if you get a rock stuck between the rear tires it can get expensive. Lower fuel mileage, etc , lousy in the snow ( not that you will see snow) but really badass.

I have owned both single rear and dually, and currently own 2 trucks and get dealer pricing with all 3 manufactures because they are my customers. ( its my job i look after the oilfield) i pull a 15000 lbs plus loaded i can hit 16,000 lb toy hauler on a Single rear wheel Chev. I have owned Fords and Gmc , never owned a Dodge but i love the way they look, the interior, and the tow capability. In the last 10 years i have owned 10 trucks and outfitted for the oil field, in excess of 10,000 trucks.  Ford builds work trucks no argument, Dodge builds nice looking,relatively inexpensive, trucks with an awesome Cummins on a strong platform. Chev/Gmc combined sells more trucks than Ford. Gm/Chev builds a pavement princess, and is by far the most comfortable with the highest resale value.

And here are the Gvwrs etc

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicles/Commercial/02_PDFs/MY15-Trailering-Guide.pdf

http://www.fleet.ford.ca/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_15RVTTgde_Sep30.pdf

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/tow_chart/

Drive all three and see which you and your partner like best

Cheers steve

Hi Steve,

I respectfully disagree, for the reasons I list below:

steveblonde said:
Im going to buck the trend here Jd Power rates the 2015 Chevy/Gmc (essentially it the same truck, same platform different styling cues ) Highest of the the 3 Ford,GMC/Chev , Dodge
[...]
GM/Chev - Pros - Duramax Allison is the best combo made (fact), most comfortable ride of the three ( read Trucks Plus Magazine where they did a comparison of all 3 March /April 2015,i think?) , highest resale value, Highest Jd power rating of the three.
Cons- kinda boring styling, very predictable interior really needs updating even though its new.

I've heard a *lot* of good things regarding the GMC/Chevs... but the thing is, they don't publish (at least not that I could find) per axle dry-weights and GAWRs... and I think this makes it impossible to evaluate with 100% confidence whether they can really tow a certain trailer with a certain tongue weight, considering the other stuff you'd be hauling on the bed and cab.

To wit, in the Chev PDF you linked below, there's the following disclaimer:

"Fifth-wheel trailer kingpin loads are higher than conventional
      trailer tongue loads, so pay careful attention to the truck?s
      payload capacity and rear axle weight ratings
" (emphasis mine)

How are we supposed to do that if they don't publish per-axle numbers?

YOU DO NOT NEED A DUALLY - all three are capable of towing 17,000 lbs 5ers, a dually DOES offer a monacum of better stability and weight capability, however all three manufactures have anti- sway built into their trucks, all three ( when ford brings out the new 2016) offer payload in excess of 4000 lbs.

I'm really unsure about that. Using Ford and RAM published dry-weights and GAWRs, I did the numbers for their 1-ton SRWs and the rear axle was overloaded *long* before a towed 5thWheel reached 17k lbs, to say nothing of the total payload when you consider the rest of the stuff you're going to haul in the truck.

See the above disclaimer I quoted from the PDF you linked ... I don't really think it's safe to work with just a "maximum trailer capacity" number. For reference, here's a spreadsheet I built to help me with those kinds of calculations: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Nn5ZOIBVVPy55Iw7Vs0iB1glOR04eRRsweX5pGryes/edit?usp=sharing

And here are the Gvwrs etc
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicles/Commercial/02_PDFs/MY15-Trailering-Guide.pdf

No GAWRs and dry-weights per axle, right? Or am I missing something?

http://www.fleet.ford.ca/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_15RVTTgde_Sep30.pdf

Here's the doc with complete payload/dry-weights/GAWRs for the Ford (2014, haven't searched for the 2015/2016 yet):
https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS/topics/2014/14_SD_Pickups_SB_Updates.pdf

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/tow_chart/

Ditto, for the RAM:
http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2014_RAM.3500.Towing.Specs.pdf

Do you know where we could get a similar document for the Chevy/GMCs?

Thanks in advance,
--
  Vall.

One point is each an all have about 4 or more different load variations , axles, diffs, and more engines sizes and  trans. So look at the  GVWR(DOOR STICKER) on all you look at some will be different, Good luck

Howdy William,

William52 said:
One point is each an all have about 4 or more different load variations , axles, diffs, and more engines sizes and  trans. So look at the  GVWR on all you look at some will be different, Good luck

No doubt, that's why the documents I linked above for Ford and RAM give the numbers for  each *specific* vehicle variation, considering trim/4wd/2wd/engine/trans/etc... I've considered that in my calculations.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Vall - its a general number but based on options a 4x4 is not the same rating as a Z71, a rat (base model) is not the same as Loaded Z71 a long box is different from a short box a denalli is different from a Z71 a crew cab is different from a double cab some come with HD trailer packages some dont and on and on and on. So they are giving you general numbers the wording is just different on the Chevy site page 10 gives you GENERAL NUMBERS

"These charts specify the trailer weight rating for your vehicle equipped with a conventional hitch. (For fifth-wheel or gooseneck ratings, see page 11.) The maximum rating for a weight-carrying
hitch is listed in the General Trailering Notes below. Do not exceed the trailer weight rating.1
For more information, ask your Chevrolet dealer"

page 11 gives you COMBINED ratings because to make a chart for every conceivable option package would drive you crazy - case in point a FRIEND spent the last year doing all his "RESEARCH" and just bought a brand new 2015  Ford F350 never looked at the door sticker on the truck he just bought, and he wants a Grand Design Front living room HIS truck is only rated for 15000 lbs 

look at that little sticker on the drivers door jam that tells you "THIS TRUCK IS RATED TO CARRY XXXX

Chevy used to do it but then they quit because it gets too confusing see the 2013 rating

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Help%20Center/Download%20a%20Brochure/02_PDFs/MY13%20Silverado%20HD%20eBrochure.pdf
. Cheers steve

Brand of truck - Drive all three and ask your wife!!

Steve and I usually disagree on this issue, but IMHO, you need a dually.  None of the SRW models can handle over 17,000 # 5er without exceeding GVWR, GRAWR and payload.  Only Dodge comes close.  You have no safety margin.  Get the dually and know you have enough truck.

I guess at 35000 miles I should have put on my third set of ball joints.  At 35K I'm still on the original set on my RAM.

grashley said:
Brand of truck - Drive all three and ask your wife!!

Steve and I usually disagree on this issue, but IMHO, you need a dually.  None of the SRW models can handle over 17,000 # 5er without exceeding GVWR, GRAWR and payload.  Only Dodge comes close.  You have no safety margin.  Get the dually and know you have enough truck.

Unfortunately, the only way to get a brand new Dodge truck is to get into a time machine and set the dial for 2009 :p

Im not saying don't get a dually but i am saying you don't need one. The Grand Design your looking at has a weight rating of 16,000 lbs loaded  13,600 empty, you will tow most of the time at about 14,600 to 15,000 ( no water etc) Chev/Ram  3500 single rear wheel is rated to tow 17,100 lbs plus the Gw 379 has a hitch weight of 3000lbs ( when fully loaded at 16,000 lbs) which leaves you 1125lbs extra weight capacity plus  in a 2015 Chev 3500 - Dodge numbers are a little higher with the right set up. So just for arguments sake driver 200lbs, mrs 150 lbs, hitch 250 lbs. which totals 600lbs leaving 525lbs before you hit your limit, is it close yes , will the truck break no. Do you need a dually - no, can you use one sure why not , you could also buy a F650 you are within your limits with a 3500 chev/gmc and most dodges not a current ford ( but the new superduty will be a beast which judging from the previews looks to be awesome )look at the door decal i cant stress enough

https://www.granddesignrv.com/solitude-specs.php

Also plug in your numbers here

http://towingplanner.com/

Dont take my word for it plug in the numbers yourself

Cheers steve

I have owned and used both GMC, Dodge, and Ford trucks to pull trailers over the years.  Some of my comments might not be up-to-date but can give an idea of what to be aware of when thinking of buying.

GMC - My transmission went out just before 12,000 miles.  Dealer replaced it at no cost except time and inconvenience.  Hated the turning radius of the truck!

Dodge - Beautiful truck.  Cummings engine both quiet and low diesel smell.  Cummings engine worked without problem.  Unfortunately, the rest of the truck wasn't as good.  On mine, the computer-operated functions went bad after just a few thousand miles.  Dealer claimed he couldn't find the problem.  Got rid of the truck as a loss  :'(

2015 Ford 350, diesel, long-bed, dually currently owned.  Really enjoy this truck!  The dual tires and long bed give great stability when pulling my almost 38 ft 5th in cross winds and passing trucks.  The engine is quick(!!) in turbo and mileage has been surprisingly good when driving on the road hauling an over-12,000 lb trailer with LOTs of stuff! 

Cons:  Agree with earlier poster who commented that cab layout is important.  The F-350 is a work truck that offers much less inside cab storage capability - lots of gadgets though.  Parking this monster-in-length is difficult both at older campgrounds (narrow roads, tight spaces) and at shopping (takes 3 spaces parked diagonally or two spaces end on end.  Keeping track of DEF levels on the gauges could be improved.  Would I buy this 2015 F-350 diesel again?  Without a doubt but your experience could be different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom