dimensions for garage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parkit

Hi folks,
I am building a new house and want to add a garage to accommodate the majority of RVs or trailers.  What height and width should I build my garage?
Thanks!
<parkit>

I am in the design phase for our property, and I am designing my RV Garage to be 25' wide x 60' deep x 16' high with a 12'w x 14'h overhead door to enter. This will accommodate just about anything RV.

My Beaver is 8.5 ft. wide, 45 ft. long, and 12 ft. 8 in. high. Build to accommodate that and you'll fit almost any RV. Don't forget to allow additional room for working on the rig, accessing the basement storage bins, working on the roof of the RV, workshop space, etc.

Larry N. said:
Don't forget to allow additional room for working on the rig, accessing the basement storage bins, working on the roof of the RV, workshop space, etc.

and opening all the slides.

my Voltage is 13'6" high and 40 ft long 8 ft wide - with the slides open add another 5-6 ft wide which would be 14 ft min width without wiggle room

I will not recommend a size for the building but make sure you do a 14 x 14 door. 

I'd agree with Steve -- I forgot opening the slides. And 14' may not be quite enough, though it's close on mine, if the slides are just about touching the walls when fully extended.

A width of 25'-0" (inside dimensions) allows me to open up all of my slides and will give me a full 5'-0" on each side to work around the coach. A length of 60'-0" (inside dimensions) allows for a 45' coach and about 7'+ in the front and back of the coach. I will have a sewer connection, water, and a 50A pedestal (I am currently a 30A coach) connection inside the RV bay.

I would agree that a 14'-0" wide door is a good idea...but not necessary for easy ingress/egress.

Wow, I would sell my mother to the Cossacks for a garage like that. ;D Unfortunately, zoning bylaws wouldn't allow it on residential property assuming I had the money.

A 12' wide garage door looks awful narrow when approaching with a typical 8.5 ft (102") wide rig, and that 8.5 ft does not include mirrors that project out on a motorhome or an awning on any RV.  You will probably have only about a foot clearance on each side, and that is easy to mess up on.  I strongly suggest going a bit wider than 12 ft for a motorhome.

If your lot is suitable for it, it is nice to have doors at each end of the garage.

Last year we were considering a home in Lake Havasu that had two RV garages and one had a pull thru garage that connected to an additional lot.

Attachments

• rpalo2.jpg
    rpalo2.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 66
parkit said:
Hi folks,
I am building a new house and want to add a garage to accommodate the majority of RVs or trailers.  What height and width should I build my garage?
Thanks!
<parkit>

I don't remember hearing anyone say, they built it to large.
Ours is 30x60 with a 20' wide door. I sure do like it.
If I were doing it over, we would probably go a little longer.
It is nice to hook up the tow vehicle the night before and have everything ready to just drive out the next morning.
This has worked for us with a honda toad, but at the moment we have a 20' trailer, and we have to park it beside the rv until ready to leave, because of the overall length.

I live in an HOA neighborhood, and can't store my RV at the house
I'd like to buy some land someplace and build a barn to store my RV, maybe my boat, and such...
We've dreamt of doing this on a lot or some country acreage someplace, that we could from time to time double it up as a destination close to home...
So I haven't come up with a solution really, but I have thought it might be nice to have some strategically placed windows or doors so that the barn could be opened up to let in some natural light and maybe give a bit of a view out.

I would think this also might be of interest to a person storing it at the house, for the possible use of the RV as guest housing.

Just some food for thought....

One of the benefits that I see of enclosed storage is keeping the sun off the rig. Less paint fade, less fabric deterioration. If one had large windows for guest use as Brad muses, then the benefit of sunlight reduction is gone. Also large windows lower the security factor. I think for me, I'd rather have secure enclosed storage and a set of hookups outside next to the RV garage for occasional guest use.

I'm a fan of large dark cavernous storage space with lighting to be used when needed. I'm also a fan of large wide doors. I worked in too many fire stations built in the 1920's with small doors. Sometimes less than 6" of clearance on either side for the mirrors. Obviously the RV will go in and out the door fewer times, but you only have to misjudge once to make the wider door cost effective. Make it right (wide) when you're building it, not after you bang up your rig.

Ken

good point, but I guess I wasn't clear
I'm picturing more like a small number of big barn doors or shuttered window openings... not glass windows.... strategically placed where you might have windows in an RV
Basically, I'm thinking something like a cross between an open pole barn that would provide roof coverage only and a fully enclosed barn, than can be shuttered closed, or opened temporarily.

I knew a couple that upon retirement built a large building with living quarters in it, and attached indoor RV storage, with full hookups. They had a large motor home.

They set up the living quarters for the couple only, and used the RV for additional accomodations when they had guests over. I can't tell you the dimensions but it was set up nice.

They were intending to use it for a home base, and planned to spend a lot of time on the road.

I logged on here today to ask this very question, so I'm glad to see all the responses.  We've found a barndominium plan we like, but the rv garage is 18' wide x 54' long on the plan.  Wouldn't be hard to change the width.  Right now our trailer has no pull outs but I'd like to plan for the future too.  With that much length, will we regret just having 18' in width?

We had a 34' motorhome when we had our RV garage built.  Two years later we bought a 40' motorhome.  Thank goodness we built as long, wide and high as we did!  Go for the max just in case you upgrade in the future.  Doing it originally is better than trying to retrofit.

ArdraF

I can attest that Ardra and hubby Jerry have a "huge" air conditioned RV garage. I wish we had the same.

Back
Top Bottom