Looking for Rear Sand Tires for my Manx Style Buggy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john owens

Have a 1964 Manx style street legal buggy. We tow it behind the rig but are heading for Pismo Beach in may and looking for some sand/flotation type rear wheels. Already have the front set. Looking online there seems to be a sparse selection...I do business with Car Craft in Riverside but would like some seasoned advice from youse guys!!!

Like Sam mentioned, paddle tires are dependent on several things.  Horsepower, weight and intended usage.

On our 120" turboed and sprayed mid-engine sandrail I was running 30"x13.5" x15" Extreme paddles that were competition cut but that was in a 400+HP car weighing less than 1000 pounds and I needed it to get moving instantly and had the HP to and the transaxle built to handle it.

I built a mild 1935 VW engine for a clients Manx several years ago as something to flat tow behind their coach and play in the sand a bit.  The transaxle was not what I would call "built" as I just freshened it up as per his request.  I suggested he run an Explorer style paddle and he has been happy with them.

Mike.

The first picture is of my Extremes.

The second picture is of the Desert Explorer that I would recommend based on the information you gave.

Attachments

• extreme.jpg
    extreme.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 9
  • desertexplorer.jpg
    desertexplorer.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 13
Paddle tires won't stand up to pavement when towing, you would need to trailer it. Or carry a set of street tires. You need fat street tires and air them down for sand.

Have you ever heard of "thesamba.com"? It's a huge VW site, mostly air-cooled. they have two forums that might be of interest for you. A kit car forum and an off road forum. You will get a lot more input there from people that live and breathe off road VW's. I had a Bounty Hunter Dune Buggy for 10 years. I didn't go off road much as I set it up as a street legal go-kart with a 2276 cc type 1 engine.

Bill

Hey Guys thanks for the info...I am liking the desert explorer, and looking deeper into that style there is a single rib tire that is inline with my budget. Last time we went to Pismo I had mud style tires and we got stuck when the shore sand starting getting thick, wife wqs not happy and is hesitant about going again. What happened to their sense of adventure?? Okay thanks to all who responded, this is really a great forom. Oh and I have heard and joined Samba, needed that when I was freshening up the carb,electronisc dizzy and adjusting valves...

driftless shifter said:
Paddle tires won't stand up to pavement when towing, you would need to trailer it. Or carry a set of street tires. You need fat street tires and air them down for sand.

Have you ever heard of "thesamba.com"? It's a huge VW site, mostly air-cooled. they have two forums that might be of interest for you. A kit car forum and an off road forum. You will get a lot more input there from people that live and breathe off road VW's. I had a Bounty Hunter Dune Buggy for 10 years. I didn't go off road much as I set it up as a street legal go-kart with a 2276 cc type 1 engine.

Bill

Maybe I was wrong in assuming, but I was assuming this is common knowledge and the original poster was going to either trailer the buggy, or change tires upon arrival.

I would never recommend running either of the ones I suggested on pavement.

Mike.

I don't leave them on even on the trailer...

Attachments

• 2015-11-12 21.34.40_zpsxnx1zzxm.JPG
    2015-11-12 21.34.40_zpsxnx1zzxm.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom