Insure a Canadian made and registered fifth wheel in Texas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanTex

I own an RV lot in a park in Texas where I have parked my fifth wheel.  The trailer is fully operational, wheels on, no permanent hookups, no skirting. Problem is that USA insurance companies won't insure it since it is registered in Canada and Canadian insurance won't insure it because it is stored in USA.
Seems to me that the solution is to register it in Texas.  Is this the solution, and if so what do I need to do to accomplish that.

You will need to contact a local DMV office in Texas and ask that question.  I'm guessing you will need to get a Texas title as well as registration tags, and that may be tantamount to officially "importing" the vehicle from Canada, since it will now [legally] be permanently in the USA.

Now you will be paying duty and an inspection fee. You may also require a Texas dl.

It's not a car. You won't need a Texas DL. I don't believe there is any duty. BUT: Have you tried to insure it as a mobile home. Might have to remove the wheels. You would then buy a homeowners policy from a Texas agent. Insurance as a trailer is not that great. No content coverage.

Sounds like the mobile home approach should be pursued...perhaps the insurance industry concern is that the rig could become mobile again in short order and the travelling liability must be much greater than a trailer immobilized on a lot. Thanks for the idea.

moisheh said:
It's not a car. You won't need a Texas DL. I don't believe there is any duty. BUT: Have you tried to insure it as a mobile home. Might have to remove the wheels. You would then buy a homeowners policy from a Texas agent. Insurance as a trailer is not that great. No content coverage.
I was wondering if that may be a requirement for registering it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom