EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Insignia brand electronics  (Read 2823 times)

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
Insignia brand electronics
« on: January 07, 2016, 08:19:10 PM »
Any experiences/opinions on Insignia electronics (Best Buy store brand), especially flatscreen TV's?  I'm looking at an open box model at Best Buy, smart LED 48" Insignia.  For the stick house, not the RV... 48" might be a little large.  ;)  Price is good but I have no experience with the brand, and internet reviews are sparse since Best Buy is the only place that sells Insignia.  I'm not beholden to any particular brand name when it comes to electronics (or anything for that matter), but generally I stick with brands that have a history & good reputation.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Insignia brand electronics
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:23:44 PM »
Why not locate a small mom and pop TV repair shop and ask them which brand they see the least of and which one they would recommend?
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »
I would not buy any electronic device I could not find a large amount of user reviews on.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

William52

• ---
  • Common sense is not common anymore.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:20:57 PM »
I have seen a lot of them browsing looking for a coach. However abt.90% of the TV come out of China and most are made at the same place? Very few made in Japan anymore. I have had bad luck with Sharp and Hitachi. Good with Sony, Samsung and Panasonic. JS Good luck
2000 Pace Arrow M35N F53 V10 Ford  100,000 + miles purrs like a kitten. Yes I am old school.         2007 Honda VTX double dark side

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:08:15 PM »
I tend to agree with Tom about reviews for electronics. If there is a good body of reviews you can usually find out commonly recurring problems. In flat screens I have a Samsung plasma in the basement that has been trouble free for five years, a Sony LCD in the RV installed by the prior owner that is also excellent, and a Toshiba LED in the house with a nice picture but a number of problems with the "smart" functions. Subsequent reviews showed that other users had the same problems.
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

MartyB

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 03:09:30 AM »
I have one and so for it is great.  Mind you it has only been a year, but it has a great picture and hasn't broken down yet.  I picked it up fairly cheap as well at BB.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 03:30:57 AM »
There are a fair amount of reviews on Insignia (and they are largely positive), the only limitation being that the reviews only exist at best buy.com since that's the only place the brand is sold.  Insignia has been around for many years though, so that may say something for its reputation to some extent.  I'm sure Best Buy would drop the name in a heartbeat if it wasn't being sold and profitable.

I agree that it seems most electronics are nearly identical these days... flatscreen TV's, cell phones, and laptops all seem pretty much the same to me, the "typical user" of such items.  Sure there are professional or industrial purposes for some electronics, but I don't need that capability and I don't expect anything grand from Insignia.  Status quo is fine. ;)

davismills

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:57:56 AM »
I have two of them and at 6 years old, they're still going strong.
2011 Winnebago Sightseer
2011 Honda CRV
Lovely wife and ugly dog

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 07:21:59 AM »
Insignia is not a manufacturer of electronics.. It is the Best Buys house brand and the products are simply re-branded other company stuff... ONE of the companies they buy from is LG,  I have dealt with several LG products including my Dometic Microwave and one INsignia product and ... Well I'm convined LG stands for Lousy Goods.

I"m sure other products in the line are better however.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 07:41:41 AM »
I've never had any problems with LG. Back when a 32" flat screen tv cost just south of $1000, we had a Polaroid. It quit working shortly after we bought it, no help from Polaroid. Come to find out, Polaroid had issues with their power supplies and wouldn't stand behind their products. Just this past week, I saw Polaroid tv's advertised somewhere and was thinking"I wouldn't pay$5 for one of them". The only way I would have a Polaroid product now is if I received it for free.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »
I picked it up fairly cheap as well at BB.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Where is BB?
AKA  Pep N Mem

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »
I've never had any problems with LG. Back when a 32" flat screen tv cost just south of $1000, we had a Polaroid. It quit working shortly after we bought it, no help from Polaroid. Come to find out, Polaroid had issues with their power supplies and wouldn't stand behind their products. Just this past week, I saw Polaroid tv's advertised somewhere and was thinking"I wouldn't pay$5 for one of them". The only way I would have a Polaroid product now is if I received it for free.

LG used to be Goldstar. Remember the disposable microwaves and VHS tape players? However I have had a few LG flip phones and they hold up pretty well. I am hard on flip phones and won't own a big clunky smart phone. I'd destroy it in weeks. I could break a crowbar in a sand box if I put my mind to it.

Bill
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

nvrver

• ---
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 01:22:55 PM »
OP said Best Buy so BB must be Best Buy.  Dick nvrver
Charter Life Member Good Sam
RVing since 1984
2006 Winnebago Class C, Ford V-10
2013 Honda CR-V EX AWD
Member WIT - Washoe Winnies

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 01:26:54 PM »
OP said Best Buy so BB must be Best Buy.  Dick nvrver

Sorry, I didn't connect the two. Thanks.
AKA  Pep N Mem

oldme

• ---
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 01:47:46 PM »
I bought 2 from BB 2-3 years ago for two bed rooms at home.
So far no problems at all.

elwood58

• ---
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »
LG used to known as Lucky Goldstar. They were not known for their high quality. That said, I have been fairly impressed with their current products.
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
Residential Fridge with Ice Maker
Splendide Washer/Dryer
Pro Fill Battery Watering System
Oxygenics Shower with Mixer Faucet

Vintage Kar Kaddy Dolly

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 04:33:55 PM »
LG used to known as Lucky Goldstar. They were not known for their high quality. That said, I have been fairly impressed with their current products.

Yes, it was a very successful "rebranding."  Fortunately, it appears that the new name coincided with a significant quality improvement effort.
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

MartyB

• ---
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
I'm sorry.  I am generally lazy.  BB is indeed Best Buy.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 07:26:12 PM »
The worst TV I had was a Sharp Aquos.  Their top of the line premium brand.  Died for good after 18 months.  Parts to repair it cost more than replacing it with a Sony from WalMart.

The best is an LG.  In between there are Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, and a Polaroid that simply refuses to die.  It's the oldest too, it's old enough to be analog.  I still use it as a computer monitor once in a while.  Used it in an RV for about 10 years before the digital thing happened, and a couple of years afterwards with a converter.

I just read on wiki that Insignia is made up of last years LG models/parts.   Have you looked for prices on name brands at Amazon?

I've had very bad luck with stuff from BB.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »
Amazon is where I do 90% of my shopping lately, so yep I've researched there A LOT for various brands/models.  For what I'm finding with TV's, some of the major name brands are priced anywhere from $200-500 more (up to double the price) for reasons I cannot really determine.  Those big brands have big advertising budgets to support, so I'm not really convinced that they are better in the technology sense.

For almost everything I buy, I research Amazon reviews even if I end up not buying there.  This TV purchase is pure "want" as we have a Vizio 38" LCD flatscreen that has been working almost flawlessly for ~7 years now.  It was a refurbished model that I bought from a wholesaler on ebay.  I just want something a little bigger for our living room.  Newegg.com has a refurb 48" Vizio with features I want for $399, but then I found an open box Insignia that is almost identical for $319.  That got me wondering and I posted this thread.

It seems like everyone has something good or bad to say about every brand that exists, so I'm used to that.  So far, with Insignia I'm finding that some folks are hesitant for speculative reasons (I would put myself in that category too), but very few actual owners/buyers of Insignia have anything negative to say.

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
Just put an Insignia brand 40" in the guest room. I am impressed with it and the price was right at Best Buy. The salesman said Insignia and Vizio share a lot of the same parts which I cannot verify but I had a Vizio that lasted 7 years and now have a 65" Vizio. I also have a 24" Insignia in the bedroom in the MH which we have had now 3 years and it is still working fine. I bought it when our 42" Samsung in the Living area of the MH quit under warranty until we could get it fixed and then the 24" Samsung went out several months out of warranty.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 08:19:02 AM »
Ok, my history with Goldstar and LG
For a time I worked part time in a computer store..  The company who's product we sold did not make monitors so they bought them from another company (Magnavox I think) and they were good.. They put out a call for new bids and Goldstar won, They were crap, with over 50% return under warranty rate.. They went back to the original company.

Then the office where I worked full time bought a Microwave.. I warned them against goldstar but they bougut one anyway.. The ONLY home use MIcrowave I have ever seen without a "Start" or "Cook" button that must be pressed to start cooking,, Just open the door, Put your popcorn in, twist the knob when the corn is finished popping take it out, close the door and walk away.  Thankfully when the unit caught fire (They do that if you run 'em without anything in 'em) a co-worker was quick with the fire extinguisher or the office would have been "Well Done" (Happened on a different shift from the one I worked).

The VCR in my Motor home when new.. ZENITH, and LG brand, Never once pulled a tape properly, new or used made no difference, Replaced by a Panasonic (Cheaper than the simple repair,, Easy to do but requires a special tool I did not have). and later by DVR's which are playing Perry Mason as I type.   Microwave (Dometic but made by LG) turntable did not turn. Hole the shaft went in was too small and the motor shaft was too short so the motor never engaged the triple arm thing that turns the turn table.. I re-engineered and used a GE motor, that works fine.

In short 100% NOT HAPPY with LG products

And I left out the Insignia and Zenith Digital TV adapters that hang up if you do not change channels from time to time.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

oldme

• ---
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »

quadron

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »
My friend worked at Best Buy for 3 years, and he said that insignia uses the same parts as other major brands, but they use the Best Buy brand name instead, so they should be similar in quality to other offerings from other brands near the same price point, except that Best Buy can sell them $100-150 cheaper because they don't have to give the major brand a cut of the profit. That said, if you're worried, Best Buy usually offers a warranty, and I have had great experiences with the Best Buy warranty in the past for other electronics.

Hosted by Over The Network