Dear Fellow Campers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

Dear fellow campers.

I am so very sorry for that short loud startling scream heard around the campground early this morning. I apologize for interrupting your slumber or unintentionally causing you to slosh coffee down your shirt. Please excuse me.

Glancing out my window early this morning, I see the usual umbilical cords that tether my motorhome to my current campsite. Water, electric, sewer.

Except, um, hmm...

Something long and dark next to my sewer hose. Oh my gosh! No one wants to see "stuff" next to their sewer hose. A leak?

Oh gawd no, please tell me there is nothing leaking from my sewer hose. I slid open my window to stick my head outside my wheel estate for a big sniff and a better look.

Hmm...

Can't smell a thing indecorous. Well, thank goodness for small favors.

But WHAT is that?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!

Is that snakes a mating?

SSSCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!

And that was the scream heard round the campground this morning.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the startled shriek.

Life is goof.

Attachments

• DSCF1173_Picture.JPG
    DSCF1173_Picture.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF1172_Picture.JPG
    DSCF1172_Picture.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 244
You are lucky; your gender is allowed an occasional girly shriek.

It sounds really, really bad when I do it - can't stand snakes.

Interesting picture.

Couldn't help but notice you have three sewer hoses hooked up. I can't remember ever having to hook up three, occasionally two, but three has me wondering.

Those aren't snakes. They're just a couple of large worms  ;D ;D ;D

mariekie4 said:
I know you are not in Southern Africa, but those snakes look just like black mambas to me! Eeeeek!!!! That wil be enough to freak me out. Mambas are extremely poisonous.

Greetings,

Besides being really poisonous, Black Mambas are extremely aggressive making them the most dangerous snake in the world.

Dear Miss Mermaid, snakes need love too! Most snakes are great to keep down the rodent population. Great pictures! Wondering if anyone can I.D. the snakes?

I would say it is probably a common black racer. :) http://majikphil.blogspot.com/p/floridas-non-poisonous-snakes.html

I think the first snake saw a great big red snake on the ground and was flirting with it, her snake spouse came up and very mad.  He used his best snake taunts and threats but big red snake kept his cool. 

Then both snakes became frustrated that the big red snake was giving the cold snake shoulder and began taunting him together. 

but I could be wrong

They are black snakes mostly harmless, not poisons and are not aggressive, they like warm areas and will often sun themselves on the grass or concrete, they eat rodents and other pest but will still cause a fright is you come on them unexpected.

I'm comfortable with snakes (used to have them as pets as a child), and my city-raised wife never saw a snake until we married and bought a place in the country. Fortunately she learned her attitudes from me, cause now we live in the middle of a national forest in Florida and have all sorts of snakes around. Many harmless, but not all, and sometimes BIG ones. We had a neighbor lady who said she was afraid of snakes but she attacked every one she saw with a shovel (really!).. She killed so many that now we are overrun with voles and moles and walking in my yard among the vole tranches is treacherous. She passed away a few years back and our snake population is recovering. Hoping the mole/vole population will begin to fall soon.

You won't have rats or mice if there are snakes around.

mariekie4 said:
I know you are not in Southern Africa, but those snakes look just like black mambas to me! Eeeeek!!!! That wil be enough to freak me out. Mambas are extremely poisonous.
I think the black part is the inside of the mouth? JS

Arch Hoagland said:
Couldn't help but notice you have three sewer hoses hooked up. I can't remember ever having to hook up three, occasionally two, but three has me wondering.

Where I am currently camped on a grassy lot, we can aim our rigs any which way we like. My rig is small so I parked mine facing a delightful view, which means the sewer and utility post ended up in front of my front bumper, so I needed all 4 sewer hoses to reach the sewer. In that picture, you can only see 3 of the 4, but I needed all 4 this time.

The hoses are the real thick Valterra ones with the super easy coupler from amazon.
http://amzn.to/1S9weWc
Mine are 10 feet each though I think they sell them in other sizes too. I just like the ease of having all the sewer hoses the exact same size so that this particular chore goes quickly.

It is actually illegal to kill snakes here in British Columbia. Fortunately, the only poisonous variety is the Pacific rattler which gives few problems unless surprised or provoked.

We used to live in the Pocono Mts of PA where the black snake is quite common. It is not uncommon for a large number of them to all get together in a big ball for an orgy while mating. Twice, I have come across this and once the ball of writhing snakes was about the size of a basket ball. Talk about a sight that would make you want to scream.

They will also do that for warmth. It is quite a sight.

William52 said:
I think the black part is the inside of the mouth? JS

I grew up in South Africa, and trust me you do not want to have an encounter with a black mamba. They are very aggressive and poisonous. Unless you have anti-venom, immediately after a bite, you die.
They are grayish in colour and you are right, the inside of the mouth is black.

Back
Top Bottom