Flood Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

07BHDS

I have a 07 Jayco 31BHDS and we had a flood here in my area. It got about one to one and half inches of water inside it. I'm meeting with my insurance company on Monday. Wondering if anyone has had this experience? Is the camper at all salvageable or is it a waste of time. I've heard horror stories of floors coming apart and other things. Thought it might ruin my electrical but everything with seems to be working okay. Would like to hear opinions of what to do. Thanks

Probably didn't get high enough to do much, if any, electrical damage, but the floors and the bottoms of the sidewalls will be thoroughly soaked if they were under water more than a few minutes.  Hard to know if they will suffer rot or mold/mildew in the future.  If they don't total it, I would ask the insurer what guarantee they will provide against future problems that may result. If you change insurers in the future, will the present company still guarantee that the "fix" was in fact adequate?

If I were you, I would pray that they total it. If they don't, you could end up with very serious problems down the road as Gary said. Mold, falling through a water soaked floor if it just particle board, wood rotting inside the walls on the entire trailer.
Oh and one other thing, welcome to the Forum. 

On the phone the adjuster has already said they typically just total them out. Meeting him tomorrow and we'll see how it comes out.  I just hate it because I've done so much customization to this camper. Custom rear bumper with storage racks, relocation of the spare tire in the tongue, custom diamond plate storage boxes and complete commercial silicone sealant on every metal joint and around windows. The things that you don't get paid for. I'm always reading here and getting ideas just my first time I felt the need to post. Thanks for the responses.

Hopefully your insurance will give you the option of buying it back for salvage value. If you think they won't you should have the time to pull all your modifications off to install in your replacement. I would argue that the insurance claim is only covering the replacement value and your modifications are worth some money too.
I'm just on here learning about RV's and you guys help me a ton with that. But I do know a thing or two about fighting for my money from an insurance company. Throw around all the key words like diminished value( witch varies from state to state), If they try to fix a car for you with all the carfax reporting these days, you could end up with a car that still runs and drives but nobody will ever buy from you. Good luck.

If you have receipts for your upgrades you can argue that at least some of the costs are included if they total it.

You have the right to dispute the value of your camper and by all means do so. Insurance companies are not in the business to give money away and will typically offer you the minimum.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I would expect the insurance co. will simply scrap the thing.  Ask, but they should allow you to remove anything you want, including curtains, stove, toilet, water heater, mattress, etc.

Well I now own a salvaged camper.  I couldn't have ask for an easier experience. They gave me more than I had anticipated for the camper and what I had looked up for sale and Nada Value. Then I turned around and bought it back for pennies on the dollar.  I do have some work to get done but that process has already begun. I had never filed a claim of any kind in my lifetime so I didn't know what to expect but this went very good in my book. Thanks for all the advice on this.

07BHDS said:
Well I now own a salvaged camper.  I couldn't have ask for an easier experience. They gave me more than I had anticipated for the camper and what I had looked up for sale and Nada Value. Then I turned around and bought it back for pennies on the dollar.  I do have some work to get done but that process has already begun. I had never filed a claim of any kind in my lifetime so I didn't know what to expect but this went very good in my book. Thanks for all the advice on this.

Good for you. Thanks for getting back to us. Good luck on your rebuild. Please keep us informed as to how it's progressing.

Work is under way. Carpet has been chemical cleaned and drying out. I pulled the back bed, the dinette benches and sofa out of the camper. Very little delamination of wood so far. Went underneath and cut the belly liner to allow trapped water to drain out. Yes there was trapped water in the insulation. I plan to do more removal tomorrow of the wet insulation and liner. I know it's there to keep the camper floor dry going down the road but it also won't let water drain out.
Got a heater, dehumidifier and fan running inside and seems to working very good.
More updates to come.

Once dry, maybe spray foam insulation underneath?  Better sealing.  Higher R value.  Gets into hard to reach places.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom