F 350 hard start when cold fix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wfwilson

Hi all. I wanted to share a solution to a problem I have been dealing with for over a year.
I have a 97 f350 crew cab long bed with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel.

It has been checked by two shops. The glow plugs and relay are fine, the injectors are fine, compression is great.

In the fuel bowl there is a filter heater, there was so much sludge under the heater that the heater had failed but showed no code.  My water in fuel light came on and when I tried to drain the water away nothing came out, I removed the filter and the heater, cleaned the bowl and drain valve, installed a new heater and filter.

Cold start problem is fixed.

I thought I would share in case any of you guys run into the same issue.  the heater is about 45 dollars, there are two types of filer tubes one is help down by two screw the other is threaded,  left hand threads so be careful ! 7/8 crows foot wrench is needed for removal of the threaded tude type

Thanks for the heads up. New information and experience will help someone, somewhere along the line.
Glad you got your particular problem taken care of.

Nice find!

Mine was being a pain. Had to crank it too long for it to start. Hot or cold didn't make a difference. I figured it was losing oil pressure in the heads so I started with the easy sources of leaks - the oil plugs on the heads. All were good, so I dug deeper and found bad o-rings on #2 injector. I replaced all of the injector o-rings and it runs sweet once again.

Back
Top Bottom