Which 1 Ton Diesel is best for towing the DRV Full House?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdenney

I am investigating the 1 ton/diesel combinations from Ford and Dodge.  Pulling capabilities are obviously at the top of the list but any words of advice on the diesel powerplants?

Many thanks!

craig

cdenney said:
I am investigating the 1 ton/diesel combinations from Ford and Dodge.  Pulling capabilities are obviously at the top of the list but any words of advice on the diesel powerplants?

Many thanks!

craig

Duramax with Allison Trans gives you smoothest combo with the nicest ride

Cummins gives you most power and towing capabilty

Ford is a work truck probably the toughest if your off road a lot and like solid axles

everyone has an opinion this is just mine all three are good all three are ASSEMBLED in north america using parts from god know where

Est. Dry Weight 18,800 Lbs. | GVWR 24,000 Lbs is a big unit

i will not comment on this post further, i will not comment on this post further,i will not comment on this post further, i will not comment on this post further,i will not comment on this post further, i will not comment on this post further,i will not comment on this post further, i will not comment on this post further

i promise  ;D

Cummins diesel no question and with a 3500 you can get the AISIN tranny which is an awesome combo and depending on who you talk to is as good if not better than the Duramax, but I hope considering the size and weight of those DRV's though you are looking at a 5500 platform. 

You will need a lot of truck for that 5er. 24000# GVWR, and up to 6000# pin weight! Sweet hauler though. Those figures are assuming a new trailer. I'm not sure what the older ones weigh.

Either the Ram 3500HD or the Ford F-450 (Ford's HD) are more than capable of pulling that.  Both have a tow rating of just over 31k.  I have a neighbor out where we hunt who has the F-450 pulling over 30k regularly and he said the truck could do more no problem.

Anyway just pick the one you like and enjoy. 

I'd go with the ford over a dodge, but likely a GM over a ford.... but that's just me.
and the ONLY reason dodge is on the bottom is I have yet to see or rather hear a dodge truck I liked.  They sound like sewing machines to me...
just personal taste

blw2 said:
I'd go with the ford over a dodge, but likely a GM over a ford.... but that's just me.
and the ONLY reason dodge is on the bottom is I have yet to see or rather hear a dodge truck I liked.  They sound like sewing machines to me...
just personal taste

You would go with Ford and all the diesel issues they have had?  Unless you are referring to some of the older, pre 2000 Ford diesels if I recall correctly, they seem to have had more troubles and very expensive troubles than the Cummins or Duramax.

blw2 said:
hey, where is moparman???
Come to think of it I haven't seen a post by him lately....

He seems to have gone AWOL.  Haven't seen him in a few months. 

Everyone will have an opinion of which one is "best".  Best is a highly subjective term....so drive all three and buy the one you LIKE the best.  All three will get the job done nicely.  I drove all three...and they were close enough that I bought the one that I thought was best looking.

And the first person that puts "Cummings" on here is getting a good Frizlefrakking!!!  :)

steveblonde said:
i will not comment on this post further, i will not comment on this post further,i will not comment on this post further, i will not comment on this post further,i will not comment on this post further, i will not comment on this post further,i will not comment on this post further, i will not comment on this post further

i promise  ;D

I'm going to bait you with everything I have!!  And get TonyDTorch in here too....I'll get a two for one special.....  ;D :p

STEVE    YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS !!!!!  POKE  POKE  POKE

The best advice:  Drive both and get the one your wife likes better.

STEVE .......overweight......

I'm a GM/Ford Dodge Ram diesel fan boy. I would get the white one with the options I like.....or maybe the new bright blue one...... or dangz to many to choose from.

Just get the truck brand you like as their all good diesel powered trucks for pulling RVs.

Save yourself a heap of stress ..go larger..  at least a 450/4500.  Just because it can pull, doesn't mean it is going to do the other necessary things well...  and we RV for enjoyment, right ?

5500 would be better, at least according to a DRV I met at a campground recently.  He indicated he had a 4500 and was wanting, so he moved up to a 5500 and reports the tow is so much better.  But to be sure before buying, check the number ie. GVWR of the proposed trailer as well as the pin weight which should run between 20-25%, then match it up to the proposed truck. Good luck with the purchases, the DRV makes one fine 5th wheel.

Frizlefrak said:
I'm going to bait you with everything I have!!  And get TonyDTorch in here too....I'll get a two for one special.....  ;D :p

Ok I took the bait.

I have to admit..... I rode in a new Dodge 3500...(or Ram)  and it was very nice,  and for once it was it was quiet !

....and,  the Chevy's are dang good looking,

but that King Ranch Ford ! .....WOW !..........  a 1 ton diesel Limo pick-up............I want one.

blw2 said:
hey, where is moparman???
Come to think of it I haven't seen a post by him lately....
Brad I asked that question a few months ago. He just seemed to drop off the face about late October.

Mike is still active on his site, so he's still breathing.  I hope he starts posting here again,  he provides some good info.

Back
Top Bottom