Mini Rally in Anza Borrego State Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
We  picked a wonderful day to hike the Palm Canyon Trail in  Anza Borrego State Park.  Not only was the weather picture perfect and company delightful,  but we saw Bighorn sheep up close and personal.  What a day!

Attachments

• P1020913.JPG
    P1020913.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 64
  • P1020924.JPG
    P1020924.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 54
  • P1020929.JPG
    P1020929.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 54
  • P1020932.JPG
    P1020932.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 56
  • P1020933.JPG
    P1020933.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 46
  • P1020935.JPG
    P1020935.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 47
  • P1020937.JPG
    P1020937.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 46
  • P1020938.JPG
    P1020938.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 44
  • P1020945.JPG
    P1020945.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 54
More  photos of the good times we had .  This was the first visit to Anza for Margaret and Henry.

Except for the wind the last day it was a perfect mini rally.

And when I  can't decide which  photo is  best ,I'll just  post them both.  And you guys can decide which one is best!

Attachments

• P1020869.JPG
    P1020869.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 55
  • P1020870.JPG
    P1020870.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P1020874.JPG
    P1020874.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 59
  • P1020875.JPG
    P1020875.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for sharing Betty. Love to see the pics.

Edit: For clarification, since I've received a couple of messages, "Staffer Tom" is me; It's one of several staff and non-staff accounts I have here on the forum. They're used primarily to check on issues reported as "not working here". It's one of several accounts I have on my tablet.

Great pictures, especially the Bighorn sheep.  Was Terry really that close or did he use a telephoto lens?  Amazing!

We were really that close!  Amazing and still can't believe our good luck to see them so close! 

Really really  really windy here  today.  Glad it was so nice yesterday for our hike.  You never know about weather in the desert.

I'm so jealous of the bighorn sighting. We've never seen any there up close or personal.

Wind's picking up here in Q. You could have kept it in ABDSP.

Wendy said:
Wind's picking up here in Q. You could have kept it in ABDSP.

Oh trust me it is still here.  Gusts of wind @ 36 mph.  Blowing sand all over.  Eyes full of dirt, nose running, slight cough.  God I love the desert! But I am grateful that most of our days were picture perfect and made a nice  impression on Henry and Margaret. 

A good day to stay inside!

You are making us jealous, last year about this time we were preparing to head west to Q, and while we saw the Wishards in NS this summer, we haven't seen Bette, Terry, Ardra or Jerry since Q.  But, we really don't miss the desert, it is in full winter mode here today, with severe storm warnings, and heavy rain.  We left the house around 10:15, the rain stopped, sun came out and temps went to 77 F, got to love Florida, even if people were running around with winter toques on.  ;)

Ed

We almost took the alternate route on our return down the canyon but decided to go back the same way we came.  As a result we came upon three wonderful bighorns.  Two actually crossed the path about half way between Terry and us (J&A) so they were about 20 feet away from us.  Totally amazing!  They really didn't pay much attention to us except to make sure the "coast was clear" for getting to the other side of the path.  The third just kept grazing and occasionally checked us out.  No need for telephoto lens!

One of the park brochures talked about the bighorns being used to humans and therefore pretty nonchalant being near them.  On the other hand, dogs are forbidden on the trails because the local wildlife sniff their scent and read it as a predator.  When that happens, they avoid going to their normal water holes and feeding areas until the "predator" scent goes away.  There are other reasons too, but I thought the predator scent was interesting.

By the way, when we left our campground in Borrego Springs this morning we had blue sky and sun.  As we neared where Brewers and Wishards were camped the dust and wind picked up and visibility was down to about a football field.  It lessened just about the time we got to their corner.  But side winds were bad on I-10 and visibility was really poor until we reached Blythe when both improved.

ArdraF

Betty - What great photo. My favorite is 938. Classic shot. I have had many encounters with Desert Big Horn Sheep and gotten within five feet of them. They really don't pay any attention to you since they have been protected for so long they have lost all fear of humans. It is always a special event when you get to see wildlife up close and personal. I am jealous, I miss the desert.

So  today in  Anza the weather turned beautiful again. No wind at all.  Love the desert as  you never know.....

We ventured out on our own to see more sculptures and ended up on an off road trail.  What a fun day !

Attachments

• IMG_8064.JPG
    IMG_8064.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8085.JPG
    IMG_8085.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8089.JPG
    IMG_8089.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 43
Great photos, Betty. Jeff and I were there several weeks ago and hiked Palm Canyon. Didn't see any sheep but we kept looking. We also had high winds the last day we were there. We live about 2 hours from Borrego so we go there often.

Betty, where was all that water?  The most we saw was in Palm Canyon and you've almost got a river there!  ::)

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom