Going full time with 4 kids, would love advice and tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pfeifer6

My husband and I have been camping since before we had kids and slowly progressed from tent to pop-up to TT and are in the process of purchasing a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 4100. It's a toyhauler with some winter options (heated underbelly and such) with plenty of room for our four young kids. We're going full time for a year, possibly longer, starting in two weeks. Obviously we've done research and all of that but I would love to hear tips or advice from current full timers.  ;D Our kids are 9, 7, 4 and 1 and we'll have a dog and pet snake with us too. (Couldn't leave "slither" behind but was able to pawn off "Mr Sparkles" the beta fish on a friend  ::))

Thanks in advance....

WOW!  Congratulations and good luck
Have a friend full timingnwith three kids and he is totally out of room.  I assume your plan is home schooling?  What about toys for the kids? 
Honestly, unless this has been forced on you, I think your going to go stir crazy.

I expect you know what you're getting into and, in fact, you are not that unusual.  We've met several families with four or five children full timing in toy haulers (two were Seneca's) with the back converted into a bunk house. One in particular had the rear door set up to be supported level with the garage and sheltered by a tent room. They held classes there and the children ate there in inclement weather. Seemed to work really well.

Ernie

If you look through this Fulltiming board you'll find some other discussions by people who were planning to do the same thing.  I should think it will be quite a challenge, but also quite an educational experience for the children.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
If you look through this Fulltiming board you'll find some other discussions by people who were planning to do the same thing.  I should think it will be quite a challenge, but also quite an educational experience for the children.

ArdraF

Thanks, I'll look! :)

Ernie n Tara said:
I expect you know what you're getting into and, in fact, you are not that unusual.  We've met several families with four or five children full timing in toy haulers (two were Seneca's) with the back converted into a bunk house. One in particular had the rear door set up to be supported level with the garage and sheltered by a tent room. They held classes there and the children ate there in inclement weather. Seemed to work really well.

Ernie

I like the idea of doing school outside, we will do it as much as possible haha. I've been homeschooling for 4 years already so that part is not a big deal.

There a blogger/vlogger with a Youtube channel, a young couple with 3-4 kiddos who full time in a 5th wheel.  I watched a couple of the mom's videos and they were pretty useful and insightful!  I'll see if I can find the channel link.

You can park next to me though. I enjoy seeing kids enjoying the outdoors instead of having to be connected to a cell phone, tablet, or video game. We were all kids once, remember?

To me, it is a lot of trade-offs.

developing friendships with other kids vs family ties

seeing different parts of the country vs having roots

having room for "stuff" vs making do with what you have

It is a different world compared to what I was raised in 60 years ago. I am not one to pass judgement on different ways of living. I just want to wish you good luck and happy times.

We are doing the same thing, though 2 kids ages 10 and 3. So only one official homeschooler. How has your journey been so far? We are looking to start June 1st.

Not sure if Scotty is talking about the utube site "Keep your daydream" or not, but they are a family full timing. They have one full season on utube and have started into their second season. They highlight all their destinations and cover lots of info concerning the issues facing them. I like watching their videos and subscribed to them half way through last season. Check them out.

Back
Top Bottom