Is This A Good Buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Homeskillet said:
Okay, but how do figure out which gears I have?

Look for the list of RPO codes in your truck.  It is probably printed on a sticker inside your glovebox... that's where many of them are located.  See the attached image for what the sticker/list will look like.  That's just a general image I pulled from Google.  One of those many codes will tell you which gear ratio is in your truck.  Google "Ford truck RPO codes" and you will find a list (probably from a Ford truck forum somewhere) of what they all mean.

Once you determine your gearing, look up your Ford year/model in the Trailer Life Towing Guides to find out the manufacturer's towing capacity.  Keep in mind that if the TL guide states a 7600# capacity (I'm just making that number up), it doesn't mean you can automatically tow a 7600# trailer.  There are other weight factors, like any/all cargo in your truck, your hitch, etc. that should be factored in.  But that will give you a good, solid starting place.

Attachments

• rpo.jpg
    rpo.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 10
28' long, gross weight of 6040.  The OP's F150 will handle this one.

https://elpaso.craigslist.org/rvs/5383791844.html

8 years old, under $10k  (and the price will be soft), and looks to be in decent condition.  Full time livable?  That's up to the user....for some people, anything under a 3000 square foot home is too small....others full time in stuff smaller than this.  Add a screen room in the summer, and your living space opens way up. 

http://www.rvguide.com/specs/keystone/travel-trailer/2008/passport/280bh.html

Is it a 40' diesel pusher motorhome?  Nope....but it ain't $75K either.  Put a new set of tires on it, repack the bearings, recaulk the roof seams, and it's ready to hit the road.  A year or two down the road, unload it for 90% of what you paid and upgrade.  Remove those bunks and put in a small office space. 

92GA said:
I just did a quick search in my area for a travel trailer that I could be comfortable to full time in and under 7000 lbs. Didn't find any, and there are a lot of trailers for sale. The newer TT that could be towed with his truck would have to be ulta lites and with what they want for them he wouldn't be any better off.

Homeskillet, how long will you be parked in one place at a time? You may very well be suited to a TT rather than a MH. Problem may be finding one you can be comfortable in that you can tow.

It varies from place to place how long we're in one place, but we average approx. 4-6 weeks in an area.

To find a TT that my truck will pull would take quite a lengthy search - and not be as near as spacious due to weight limits (i.e., the more spacious the rig, typically the heavier it is).

Hence, the MH quest.

Supposed to meet w. a salesman Tuesday @ Camping World.  And, to be honest, my salesman has actually steered me away from a few MH already.  He appears to be sincere & a good guy (I'm a pretty good gauge of sincerity).

Will let y'all know if we make a decision to buy!  Y'all have all been an unbelievable help!

Thank you all so much.

Well, at least you have a good understanding of what your needs are.  Hopefully, you can find a good unit that will meet those needs.  Let us know what you find!  :)

Homeskillet said:
Supposed to meet w. a salesman Tuesday @ Camping World.  And, to be honest, my salesman has actually steered me away from a few MH already.  He appears to be sincere & a good guy (I'm a pretty good gauge of sincerity).

Trust us though, his goal is to sell you something from his lot, using his financing, and oh he will be happy to get you signed up with Good Sam insurance and a service plan too.

That's doesn't make any particular salesperson "bad" since selling stuff for their employer is their job.  But just make sure you realize his true motivations.  There are a lot of places to buy RV's so don't feel pressured just because you have a sit-down with the guy.

Just like the camping journey, the RV buying process should be taken nice and slow.  ;)

From what I've seen price wise at CW, they are near the top of high retail. This coach would be near $50,000 at CW.  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/2005-Winnebago-Adventurer-29501.htm  There is a reason ppl sells a lot of coachs. It just might be worth your while to give ppl a visit, or at least a call. I don't know if they help arrange financing or not, but I believe you can save some money there. That coach is over $20,000 below low retail. Here's another http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/2004-Damon-Challenger-30220.htm  it's over $7000 below low retail.
Modify message

92GA said:
From what I've seen price wise at CW, they are near the top of high retail.

Indeed they are.  We shopped there first...nice selection of very nice units.  Then we checked out a few other places.  We finally wound up at a mom & pop shop where we fell in love with a trailer, and it came home with us.  I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was than Camping World for a comparable unit.  And the service during the warranty period, while not perfect, was good, and they tried hard.  I only had one major issue, and they hit it and fixed it correctly the second try.

Shop around (a lot) before you sign on the dotted line at CW.  There may be much better deals on a comparable unit to be had.

Perhaps I've missed it in scanning through these posts, but have you test-driven ANY of the RVs yet?  Maybe you have and I've just missed it.  I strongly recommend driving and spending some time in each of the three types you are considering, Class C, Class A Gas and Class A Diesel.  Then you will figure out which type is the best "fit" for you.  Once you've done that, figure out what age range will match up with your budget.  Newer is only better up to a point.  All RVs are constructed pretty similarly and use the same components (furnace, water heater, plumbing, electrical, etc.).  They all need repair at some point and there is no guarantee a 2012 model will need fewer repairs that an 2005 model.

I would also consider selling the truck and getting a different vehicle to tow, unless you have a particularly good reason to need a pickup truck.  There are a number of smaller cars that make excellent "toads".

Reading all of the posts on this thread gives me the right to offer my opinion, only kidding there lol!  But onwards and upwards.  To the OP, I would seriously look for a nice used 31ft. 5th wheel to tow with your Ford.  With expected sit times of 4-6 weeks this will give you the best option of using the vehicle you now have, as much or more room than the beautiful Georgetown you once considered, a much easier tow/hook-up/un-hook and camp set up than a standard trailer.  Their are many models out there used in the smaller sizes because RV's are like everything else, once you get used to it you want newer and bigger.  Boaters call it "two foot-ites" and RV's would be more in the 4-5 ites.  Don't bother with all of those that spell gloom and doom on your financial picture should a tragedy up set your preverbal apple cart.  If we all lived life like that we wouldn't ever cross the street.  The old saying "live for the day, plan for tomorrow".  Trust your instincts.  You know better than anyone how you handle debt and earnings potential.  You have at least 30 years of experience using yourself as the model of how things will work out for you.  When my wife and I bought our first class A 10 years ago my son asked "don't you ever want to retire?".  My response was what guarantee do I have that I'll make it to retirement, no less into my 70's or 80's like my mom, 87 today, dad, died at 46.  You'll do JUST fine with what you and your pretty Mrs. decide, than go and enjoy the fruits of your ministry. 

Thank you again to every-single poster!  Y'all have been an unbelievable help!

I haven't posted in a few days because we've been in the deciding phase.  Well, today my salesman (whom I truly believe is sincerely trying to help us) called w. a seeming excellent deal.

It's a 2006 National Seabreeze MH 1350 Model, with approx. 50,000 miles on it.  Exceedingly clean!  The down payment would be $4,000 & the monthly note would be about $400/Mo.  Financing about $38,000.

Here's the link, but you have to scroll to the Model 1350 layout & specs:

http://www.pacnats.com/Links/NRV%20Brochures/2007/Sea%20Breeze.pdf

Water heater:  6 Gal.
Gray Tank:  65 Gal.
Black Tank:  47 Gal.
Fresh Water:  85 Gal.
LP-gas:  24 [Liquid Volume Gal.]

The unit has a 5,000 Lb. hitch towing capacity on it.  Will this be enough to tow my Ford F-150? 

And, does anyone know if the Ford F-150 is all-4-wheels-flat-towable?

Finally, would we be okay to dry-camp overnight @ a Walmart, etc. in a rig like this w.out running out of water, gas overnight (i.e., save on hotels)?

Again, I cannot thank y'all enough for your help in this matter!  You've already saved much much $$ & heartache!

I like the National brand, and almost bought a 2000 Surf Side a few months ago. The guy backed out and I bought my Daybreak. Do you have a link to the actual coach? Good luck with it if you buy.

Finally, would we be okay to dry-camp overnight @ a Walmart, etc. in a rig like this w.out running out of water, gas overnight (i.e., save on hotels)?

You should be able to dry camp for a week without running out. However electricity might be another issue. Two day is usually the max for me.

Maybe this was mentioned in a previous post, but is the F150 2wd or 4wd?  If 4wd with a transfer case that can be shifted to neutral, it should be towable. If 2wd, it is likely not towable without disconnecting the driveshaft.  Check the weight as well. I would guess that is probably right at 5000 lbs.  I know my 1500 Suburban is 5500 lbs.

And, does anyone know if the Ford F-150 is all-4-wheels-flat-towable?

That depends on the specific model and year. My 2007 4WD Lariat Crew Cab with electric switching of 2WD/4WD isn't towable, and weighs over 6,000 lbs. But there are lighter models and some can be. Check the owner's manual or the Remco site to find about towable for the specific unit.

Thew Seabreeze is usually a pretty nice coach. Not upscale, but good value for the price.

5000 lbs tow capacity is very marginal for your F150 - check the curb weight of the 150 to verify. Most of them are in the 5000-6000 lb range and would be too heavy.

As others have said, the F150 has to be a 4WD model with a transfer case that has a selectable neutral position. That's the only one that can be towed.

Your salesman is probably very empathetic, but his primary motivation is providing income for his family, not your happiness and well-being.

You need to see it in person before making any decisions.  It sounds nice from what you describe, if you can really afford to spend that much.  Although towing your F-150 would be a stretch weight-wise.

Keep praying.  This may be the one!

First, the brochure sure makes it look good!  There are several very nice features.

Second, is the HITCH or the  TOWING CAPACITY limited to 5,000#?  The brochure had a GVWR of 20,500# and GCWR of 26,000#, or a 5,500# difference.  I believe the hitch could be reinforced to carry 6,000#.  As long as the GCWR is in line and the hitch is not overloaded, you should be okay.  I'm sure others will chime in to verify or correct me.

Third, go to    http://www.remcoindustries.com      Input the specifics about your truck, and they will tell you if it is towable or not, and what is required.

You can easily stay at Wally World for a couple nights in this rig.  You can stay even longer running the generator as long as the black & gray tanks hold out.

If I remember correctly, you are already a traveling minister, but staying in hotels - for $2,000 + per month, PLUS limited ability to "eat in".  If this is the case, a $400 payment for housing will be a walk in the park.

Once you buy a MH, there is a  completely new set of questions about how to live in one!  At that point, start a new thread about living FT in your MH.

Ughh - okay.  So, we're now looking at travel trailers since the truck will not tow & the wife doesn't want to follow me.

Here's the latest deal we're looking at:  http://www.campingworldofavondale.com/travel-trailer/2016/pacific-coachworks-northland/476948

Down payment would be around $3,000.  Payment would be around $250/Mo.  But, the dry weight of this unit is at 6,500 Lbs.  Factor in clothes, etc.  We're probably at around 7,000 Lbs.  Our truck will only pull 7,600 Lbs. 

Wouldn't this be a little too close for comfort in weight?  Or will the equalizer & sway bar assist with that?

And, the holding tanks are rather small, but there's only so much I can do w. an F-150.  Something will have to give somewhere to keep my current truck.

Tried to work w. pplmotors, but just not going to happen.  Too much red tape. fees, etc.  Much easier to do in state.

Sorry to be such a bother - but y'all have already spared me much money & heartache!  Thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom