EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Canadian workcampers  (Read 1232 times)

rcorbett8

Canadian workcampers
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:59:17 AM »
What are the legalities and opportunities for Canadians in the U.S.  We don't need money, but  a free campsite in exchange for services rendered would be perfect.  Bob C.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Re: Canadian workcampers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 01:47:12 AM »
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 09:06:33 AM »
If it's strictly informal bartering labor for a campsite, you would stay under the legal radar. However, many workamping gigs pay wages and then charge you for the campsite. That may net out to be "free campsite for services", but it creates taxable income in the US and is a legal problem if you are supposed to be a non-working visitor to the USA.

Technically, any barter arrangement is taxable, but a tax loophole allows an employer to provide an onsite living arrangement under certain conditions. If the loophole conditions are met, the campgorund does not have to report the value of the barter as employee income.  Some workamping arrangements may qualify for that loophole, but many (most?) do not.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:08:04 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »
Strictly speaking, you CANNOT work, for "free" or otherwise, while in USA on a visitors visa, even the "verbal visa" most of us are admitted under, when we cross the boarder. You risk running afoul of both the IRS and the Immigration folks.

I suspect most potential employers are unaware of the intricacies and loopholes of the laws regarding this possible situation and you could be setting yourself up for a nasty experience.  JMHO.....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:30:09 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Hosted by Over The Network