British columbia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kateness

What is the best route to take with a Class A (30ft) from LA to British Columbia....incorporating scenery and interest along the way?

The best? For me, I'd say Hwy 101 to Pt Angeles, take the Coho ferry to Victoria (check to see that you'll fit the boat). See Vancouver Island then take one of the Canadian ferries back to the mainland and tour whatever else you want.

Ken

I agree. We've not rv'd it (yet) but that is our plan. We've traveled it, done Victoria and Vancouver island...you cannot go wrong with this advice...as long as you fit!
Happy travels!

I agree with the advice to travel up 101.
Check the BC Ferries web site for fares for your 30' RV and make sure you are ok with the cost of the fares. I seem to recall they are a little pricey.
http://www.bcferries.com/fares/
There are also Washington State ferries.
You can cross to Whidbey Island at Port Townsend, then Anacortes to Sidney on Vancouver Island. Again check the web for fares.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/fares/

Another option if you want to avoid the ferries would be 101 to 107in Washington, then head east on 12 at Montesano,WA to Olympia,then I5 north to the BC border.
Just time it so you miss the Seattle commuting hours.

Yes, ferries are expensive. They charge by the foot. My last trip was a short one from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale, 40 min trip, $175.00 Can. Truck and 30ft 5th wheel.

Kateness said:
What is the best route to take with a Class A (30ft) from LA to British Columbia....incorporating scenery and interest along the way?

Best?? really depends what you would like to see. We've made this trip several times. we like I-5 to Weed, then 97 north, stay on the east side and avoid all the traffic. Once in BC it's any road to what you want to see.

We like this one, it's a lot more scenic and you don't have to deal with traffic through Portland or Seattle. If you continue north from Osoyoos wave on the way by. ;D

RoyM said:
We like this one, it's a lot more scenic and you don't have to deal with traffic through Portland or Seattle. If you continue north from Osoyoos wave on the way by. ;D

I agree with this.  We are taking this route to Kelowna and Vernon BC this year.

Weather on the east side is much better than the west during the spring thru fall, but winter? not so much. but in the winter the I-5 corridor can get pretty nasty too. Mt. Shasta always have snow during the winter, as does the Siskiyou's passes. But the east side can get to 120 degrees in the summer, this can cause over heat problems in some vehicles.
In the spring when the orchards are in bloom is my favorite time to travel thru the Okanogan valley.
There are only two hills that would give anyone a hard time, Starting at Weed, you will be on gradual climb into eastern Or. then a pretty easy let down to the Columbia river crossing, then a hard pull (4%) out of the valley. then an easy run up to Blewett Pass, that is 3-4% rise for 5-6 miles, then a 5-6% down grade into Wenatchee. then it is an easy run to the boarder along the river.
side trips to Leavenworth and Grand Coolie are always fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom