Basement Storage Height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wthensler

Hello Everyone,

I'm a complete newbie and don't even own an RV yet, but I'm thinking of a Class A DP, something in the low to mid 30 foot range since it's only my wife and me (and our two parrots).

Here's the rub:  I'd like to be able to bring my dobsonian telescope with us so we can enjoy the dark sites out west.  The scope breaks down into pieces, but the largest piece is still 31.5" high x 33" width.

Are there possibilities to store this in the basement?  I haven't been able to measure door heights, but they all look to be smaller than the scope height.  Do storage heights vary with RV size or manufacturer?

Or do I bite the bullet and content myself with toting the largest scope that'll fit into a standard compartment?

Thank you.

Our 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire has a storage out side of the frame rails that will accommodate that size.

Attachments

• storage 4.jpg
    storage 4.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 62
Hmmmmm, this last pic looks promising.  :)

I wonder if this feature is specific to the Newmar?  Is this from a mid 30's Class A?

Tom/Barb said:
Our 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire has a storage out side of the frame rails that will accommodate that size.

OMG (as my daughters would say), my basement hasn't been that empty since the day I bought my coach. I too could carry the telescope, but then I'd have to get rid of the full size Weber kettle.  ::)

Sun2Retire said:
OMG (as my daughters would say), my basement hasn't been that empty since the day I bought my coach. I too could carry the telescope, but then I'd have to get rid of the full size Weber kettle.  ::)

That's actually pretty funny, that picture was taken the day we bought the coach. It filled quickly. and it is 8 foot wide, and 12 foot long pass thru. In there now is an inflatable boat, motor, camp supplies/equipment, tool boxes, extra water, fuel. lots of stuff.
You will find in any situation "STUF" will grow to fit the container.

Do storage heights vary with RV size or manufacturer?

Yes, yes, yes!  By manufacturer, within their lines, and even within the same model such as a 32 footer vs. a 34 footer.  The same applies to beds, showers and just about everything else that has to do with RVs.  The manufacturer decides to make the same model in two or three sizes and there will be all kinds of differences because they have to fit a lot into a very confined space.

ArdraF

Even in larger coaches (40 or more feet) the bay door openings are typically in the 26-29" range in height. Width is greater, and depth should be no problem at all EXCEPT that the frame rails intrude further in. I doubt if you will find many (any?) that can handle 31.5 x 33 thru the bay door opening. Especially in the size range you are looking at, which in itself will be fairly rare (diesel pushers tend to start at around 38 ft in length). There have been a few 32-36 ft models, but not many, and they are not common on the used market either. Currently the Tiffin Allegro Breeze has a 32 ft model.

Yes, that's kinda what I had my eye on (Tiffin Alegra), but as we haven't even set foot in an RV yet, we'll have to look at different lengths.

I've always been. 'bigger is better' kind of guy, so the larger ones wouldn't intimidate me.......just liked the idea of something a bit more compact.

But we're going to start looking this weekend.

I get it about the height issue.  In retrospect, fitting an expensive RV around a telescope may be a crazy idea (though trust me, the scope wasn't cheap either !), so I could downsize the scope if we found an RV that we loved.

Finally, I lurked on CloudyNights website, and this very issue had come up.  In that case the problem was solved by towing the scope on a trailer, which I prefer not to do.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

I don't know what the telescope weights but a carrier to fit the tow connection will usually be rated to carry 500 lb. You could even have a toad (Jeep or similar) and put the scope in a carrier on the Jeep or on a roof rack.

Ernie

Here's another thought:  Most DP coaches have a spot for a washer/dryer unit.  The cabinet for that should be of ample size to hold the piece you describe.  If you purchased one without the washer/dryer or removed it, you should be able to accommodate the telescope.  Whether or not you would miss having a washer/dryer is another story and I don't intend to start that debate.  ;D  A search on this forum should reveal plenty of opinions on both sides of that issue.

FWIW, I have an older Itasca Horizon 36LD, with the "36" theoretically indicating 36' long, but I think it's actually a bit under 37'.  These are pretty common on the used market.  Winnebago/Itasca also made the coach in a 34' model, but that model seems to be much less common.  I haven't measured, but I doubt the storage bay would accommodate those dimensions.

wthensler said:
Hmmmmm, this last pic looks promising.  :)

I wonder if this feature is specific to the Newmar?  Is this from a mid 30's Class A?

We own a 2000, 40' Newmar Mountain Aire, those pictures are of the right side mid coach basement doors.

Thanks all,

When the time is right, I'll be looking for something 2-5 years old.  There have been many good suggestions, all of which I'll take into account.  I now know what my options are.

I don't really have a budget.  I'm thinking $120 to $ 170 range.

Not looking to buy new, but not more than a few years old.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

You have asked a very important question for your satisfaction!!

It seems many people "just buy", with no idea what they are getting themselves into.  I STRONGLY urge you to educate yourself first, by reading this forum (or others) regularly.  You need to know more about the RV than your salesman.  Thankfully, it is not hard to do.

As my signature says, I am still in the learning phase.  This forum has been grand!!  I have had questions answered that I was not smart enough to ask 6 months ago.

Ask all the questions you need to understand.  We are here to help.

If you can't find an RV with a large enough cargo bay, you might have to decide between a toad and a trailer. An inexpensive small cargo trailer could carry the scope mostly assembled. And a couple of bikes to get around on.

wthensler said:
I don't really have a budget.  I'm thinking $120 to $ 170 range.

Not looking to buy new, but not more than a few years old.
If that is 120,000 - 170,000 there are a lot of great coaches out there in this price range.

Her's an example ::

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2006-Newmar-Mountain-Aire-4304-114965436

To clarify, the correct answer to the budget question is in the range of 120,000 to 170,000.  I've been doing quite a bit of reading, and read where someone was lusting after a Newell. Went to there website and saw where these go upwards of $ 2 MM !!

Most Class A RV's I've seen are towing some type of vehicle or trailer, which would make sense if one wants the freedom to travel around in a more agile fashion for day trips.  Was hoping to avoid a trailer, and if it comes down to it, I may simply get a smaller scope and the largest reasonable cargo bay without sacrificing the RV we really decide on.  But the views through my existing 24" scope in dark skies are jaw dropping  8)

Yes, I know ownership will not be cheap.  Living your dream often isn't.  And I will continue to read and perhaps start to go to RV shows.  Out purchase timeframe is just under a year, so if buying used there is plenty of time to learn.

One thing I've already noticed; all the folks here seem quite content with the lifestyle annRV can offer :).  We hope to experience the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom