Tranny noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnabanger

I have a '05 F-350 with a 6 speed stick. I have 140K on the clock. About 2K ago it started making a noise while shifting. It makes a whining bearing noise in the middle of the shift as I push it into second and third. I was told that it is the pilot bearing. can I keep driving it if it doesn't get any louder?

It may or may not be the pilot bearing. Pilot bearings usually make themselves known by difficult shifting, particularly into first or reverse while sitting still. Are you sure it only makes noise when actually trying to engage the next gear or does the noise start when you push in the clutch pedal. If the latter more likely the throwout bearing. If it's not the throwout bearing, and it's not difficult to shift , it may be an internal input shaft bearing. in my experience a throwout bearing will make noise for a looong time before utter failure. A pilot bearing will annoy you with difficult shifting and an internal bearing will complain and fail slowly. I'd let it develop unless you are a full timer, then you might want to pick your time and place for repair rather than leave it to chance. If you are on a trip and returning home in the near future my thoughts would be finish the trip and don't flog it. This is a good question to take to a Ford truck enthusiast forum as they will have people that have exploded these trannies and a lot more experience fixing them.

Bill

Thank you for your explanation of the possibilities. No problems with shifting yet and its not the throwout. It makes the noise even if I shift without the clutch.

Have you had the trannie serviced recently? Possible low on oil or wrong oil put in. Don't flog it and it may hold up for some time, let it develop. Follow up on visiting Ford truck forums as you will likely get a more definitive answer from a gear head that builds rock crawlers for fun.

Bill

Personally I'd let it develop. Pay attention to the noise and revise your plans if it gets louder rapidly or relax it it remains the same for 10,000 miles. It is getting' old, everything makes more noise as it gets old. Heck, I'm startin' to get old and I make a lot more noise getting' from horizontal to vertical.

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom