Replacing original drawer slides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herekittykitty

It appears that two of the cheap-a$# drawer slides that came with my kitchen drawers have failed already.

Being relatively handy, but never having done this before:
(1) I assume I can just buy a sturdier pair of (side mount) slides for each drawer and replace the hardware. Any particular brand you'd recommend?
(2) I measured the existing slides and they are 15-1/2" long. Nothing comes in 15-1/2" long. Do I buy the 16" ones? Is this just a normal thing, or were these slides custom-made for my drawers?

Unscrew one and take it with you to the big box store. There are different mounting methods and you'll want one that matches what your cabinets are set up for. The fellow/lady with the vest will help you match up and get a good replacement. There are different grades of slides and if it were me, I'd buy the best I could afford so I didn't have to change them again. Cheap ones will break again.

Ken

I had in my mind (for what that's worth) that drawer slides in rv's were "special" in that when the drawers were closed the slide had a catch to hold it there. Without the catch, the drawer would come open on the road.

I've replaced a couple of mine with replacements from Lowe's, the hardest part was getting to the screws in the back to install. I'm convinced the factory built the cabinets the build the walls around then, maybe yours will be easier. Its usually the rear brackets that break. You can buy replacement plastic brackets at CW but they will eventually break also.

Like Ken said except I would take the entire drawer in and have one of their experts match it up with something. They'll also provide you with the best hardware to mount them. If you find something that works and you like them, you may want to replace all of your slides.

Re the "special" latching for RV drawers: that is usually separate latch rather than part of the drawer slide, but not always. If your drawer requires you to lift or other maneuver to pull it open, you have that type. Most, however, have a separate mechanical latch of some sort.

You may have "full extension" slides or the standard opening type. Full extension means the drawer slides further out so you can reach stuff in the back easily. If you don't have that type but want it, odds are you can upgrade.

The size depends on the cabinet construction. If there is room inside the cabinet opening for a longer slide, it is probably ok. Sometimes a little shorter is also ok. There is no simple answer to this one, unfortunately.

Drat. I was SO hoping for the simple answer - have them shipped from Amazon and install.  :eek:

My drawers have a separate latch, so that's not an issue. They're full extension side mounts. The part(s) I seem to be having problems with are the plastic piece that keeps the two pieces of the slide together. They don't look broken, but on the right side of 2 drawers, they're no longer doing their job, and on the left side of one of those drawers (with little room to maneuver, of course), I can't get that piece to let go, so I can't remove the drawer anyway.

I was hoping I'd be able to get a drill inside the cabinet to remove and reinstall the side pieces.
I should probably call Winnebago. Maybe the cabinetry has a longer warranty I don't know about...

Mine broke and I took one off and went to Home Depot.  The "expert" their said they didn't have one to match and went away to help someone else.  I looked around in the same bin and found a match with metal brackets.  Came in a set and not expensive.  They were fairly easy to install.  The screw holes matched but the back ones inside the cabinet took some patients to get the screws started.  Once the rear brackets are installed you slip the slides into the brackets until they are flush with the cabinet frame in the front then install the front screw.  These were lift to slide out type perfect for an RV.  Just go to the hardware section and find the bin with drawer slides then match the length and bracket type to the one you bring with you.  If your hands are smaller than my clubs it will be easier for you to install them. 

Drawer slides- hundreds of options.
The higher the quality, the higher the cost.

http://woodworker.com/c-Hardware-drawer-slides/

Length is one factor. If your simple replacing with the same product, no issues. If your going to change slides styles there are lots of options. I recommend a push to open.

You can order from Amazon, but you still need to figure out just what you want/need. You've already established you need "full extension" and "non-latching",  and "side mount", so it's pretty much down to length.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You can order from Amazon, but you still need to figure out just what you want/need. You've already established you need "full extension" and "non-latching",  and "side mount", so it's pretty much down to length.
THAT'S what I was hoping to hear.  :D
So it's back to one of my first questions: I measured the portion of the slide that's attached to the drawer, and it's 15-1/2". So does that mean I order a 16" slide?

Buy one that is the right one at the big box store. Order the rest from amazon. Unless you find a page somewhere that shows exactly how they are measuring, exactly how they're mounting, etc. you're buying a pig in a poke and hoping it turns out right without a lot of modification. Or you're stuck sending them back, ordering a different kind that you think might work and then maybe not getting what you want then either. Once you've matched them up in person, you know exactly the brand, model and length you need.

Ken

As long as you have room, ie your cabinet is deep enough( over 16 inches) you can use a 16 inch slide with no problem.  t will just stick out the back of the drawer.  It seems industry standard to only make drawers 15 to 16 inches deep.  I threw all my drawers away and built new ones that are 22 inches deep and out full extension side guides on.

The soln to your problem in quite easy and you will have no problems once you get the slides.  If you can remove the old ones, you can put the new ones back on.  You can also cut some guides to length, but very rarely will you have to do that.

KV are a good slide and most slide require 1/2" of clearance on each side until you get to the high end undermounts. I'm surprised a ball bearing full extension slide would last only a few years but, cheap seams to be the motto for motor homes.

Deano2002 said:
I'm surprised a ball bearing full extension slide would last only a few years but, cheap seams to be the motto for motor homes.

Good preventive maintenance yearly would go a long way. A few drops of oil every year or so would help dramatically.

Rene T said:
Good preventive maintenance yearly would go a long way. A few drops of oil every year or so would help dramatically.
I'm sorry, but I'm calling B.S. on that. NO ONE has to do that with the drawer slides in their homes; why should we have to do it in an RV?
In this case, the drawers in question got 8 months of FT use before two of them died.

The more I think about it, the more I think I am going to call Winnebago.  :mad:

I guess I've been doing it wrong all this time. I wash and oil the basement door hinges, latches, slide out tray rollers (especially the battery slide out trays, they get marine grease, generator slides get silicone). I also oil the inside door hinges (bathroom), the shower door hinges (hinges at home, the rollers in the MH) drawer slides (silicone on the ball bearing ones, bar soap or Lube Stick on wood on wood sliding drawers). I lube key locks with powdered graphite. I spray silicone lube in sliding window tracks. I put di-electric grease on electric cord plugs. I've even lubed the cables that release the front seat swivels and the ball bearing track that allows them to swivel. When the recliner gets squeaky it gets oiled on the joints underneath too.

But you're right. I don't HAVE to do it. I do it because I think it makes them last longer. I do it because I think it makes them work easier.

Now, that's not to say that Winnebago doesn't use cheap material. Maybe they do. My drawer slides were used full time for 3 years and now on their 6th year of half time snowbird use. None squeak, none rattle, none have been replaced, all slide easily. 

Ken

herekittykitty said:
I'm sorry, but I'm calling B.S. on that. NO ONE has to do that with the drawer slides in their homes; why should we have to do it in an RV?
In this case, the drawers in question got 8 months of FT use before two of them died.

The more I think about it, the more I think I am going to call Winnebago.  :mad:

Disregard.

Back
Top Bottom