Replacing original drawer slides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
herekittykitty said:
I'm sorry, but I'm calling B.S. on that. NO ONE has to do that with the drawer slides in their homes; why should we have to do it in an RV?
In this case, the drawers in question got 8 months of FT use before two of them died.

The more I think about it, the more I think I am going to call Winnebago.  :mad:

Call it BS if you want. That's your prerogative.  In my home and RV, I lubricate all my slides, all hinges and anything that has ball bearings like my swivel rocker/glider once a year and have never had a failure. Just to prove me wrong, why don't you drain all the oil out of your engine and then take it for a test drive. Let me know what happens after maybe 5 minutes of no lubrication.  I dare you. No I double dare you.  ;D

Karen,

There are extremists all over this land, but most aren't so vocal. Most of us wouldn't want to live in the oil drenched atmosphere that is being suggested (as I did on that pigboat submarine) so, do what the realists do: if it gets wind, rain, heat, rapid rotation or other external forces, lubricate it. If it's a drawer slide that you open three times a day, it should last your lifetime and the next owner's too without lub. Then you won't have all those oil stains on you clothes or oil dripping off of the guests silverware.

If you learned your preventative maintenance skills in a gas station or as a pier rat, just carry on.

Rene T said:
Just to prove me wrong, why don't you drain all the oil out of your engine and then take it for a test drive. Let me know what happens after maybe 5 minutes of no lubrication.  I dare you. No I double dare you.  ;D
I just did that.
The engine temp got really high and then it made a lot of noise and then it stopped running.
What should I do now?

Quillback 424 said:
If it's a drawer slide that you open three times a day, it should last your lifetime and the next owner's too without lub.
See? That's what I say.

Though I'm not going to try to talk *cough* some people *ahem* out of doing what already works for them, I have a business to run.
People to see, places to go, a cat to feed.

I'm an old lady and I figure by this time in my life, if one were supposed to be lubricating the drawer slides in one's home, I would already have heard about it.  :D

Rene T said:
Good preventive maintenance yearly would go a long way. A few drops of oil every year or so would help dramatically.
I've made many a kitchen cabinet over the years with full extension slides and expensive undermount ones, never had anyone call back because of failure, not to say they didn't fail down the road but not within a few years. Some I know are 15 years running. I don't think they even recommend lubricating, full extension slides are pre lubed with grease, not oil but, I didn't buy the cheapest I could find. Cheap side mount slides will have roller failure when the weight rating is exceeded as will ball bearing full ext ones. Never lubed a cabinet hing, seen them wear over years of use. If there's no brand name stamped on them they must be ashamed of their product . I see what quality my MH parts are, not top of the line by far

Karen, imagine for a minute that you are a fireman. You are working a 24 hour shift. The Chief decides that all eight of you at the station need something to do besides sleep during those 24-hours.

So, he assigned two to cook and three to wash that fire truck every day. That leaves three firemen with nothing to do. So, the Chief decides that each of the three will lub the kitchen drawer roller bearings every eight hours; 8 am, 4 pm and 12 midnight. After a year, it is discovered that this Firechief had no roller bearing failures and a Friday was set aside to award the Chief with an accommodation. But, the mayor found out and decided to Proclaim that Friday as "Firechief Rollerbearing Day."

Soon, the Governor heard about it and Proclaimed... .

So it goes.

I'm amused that the person with the broken drawer slides is arguing that her way is better than the people without broken slides. See the irony in that?

No "thanks for the thought, but I don't want to do that". Instead a snarky comment. I would have thought at your age you would have heard how to measure and select a drawer slide, but you started out by saying you didn't. Now you've become an expert on drawer slides. Good luck with that.

Of course you have good company with Quillback who is an all or nothing advocate. No drop of oil for him, it's a whole can on each slide. I suppose if you don't have the skill to do it right, it's better to not do it at all.

http://www.stepbystep.com/how-to-lubricate-zippers-and-drawers-41564/

http://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/what-would-you-use-to-lubricate-drawer-slides-263700-.htm

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20726

http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=17569.0

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/lubricating-drawer-slides-open-bearings-185665/

Ken

Quillback 424 said:
Then you won't have all those oil stains on you clothes or oil dripping off of the guests silverware.

Larry, could you expand on that a little? I don't ever remember getting oil stains on my cloths or my guests never complained about oil dripping off their silverware. I assume you have written proof. I have proof that I've never had a failure.

bucks2,

While you were lubing those slide rollers at the fire station every eight hours, I was advancing in Technical Training from, instructor, signal training for a  major railroad to asst. mgr, mgr, sr. mgr and finally director of multiple training programs... or, was it while you were sleeping?

I notice that you always held three jobs during your working years, which included pumping gas and changing tires. Perhaps if you were recognized as a talented individual in your fireman career you could have moved up to at least Assistant Firechief in that great growing Northwest? At least as Assistant Firechief you wouldn't have had the midnight shift for lubing those kitchen drawer roller bearings.

HereKittykitty...
Snarkey crowd here!
Been a remodeling contractor for 40 years so I learned a thing or two 'bout working on homes... and RV's... built my share of kitchen and bath cabinets also... nuff of that though... you can use 16" slides with no problems, If buying from Home Depot use the standard grade units no need for the expensive one's unless you want 'em... simple to install and will work perfectly! If you need help just e-mail me and I'll come over... whoa, then again...

Keith

Quillback 424 said:
Karen, imagine for a minute that you are a fireman. You are working a 24 hour shift. The Chief decides that all eight of you at the station need something to do besides sleep during those 24-hours.

So, he assigned two to cook and three to wash that fire truck every day. That leaves three firemen with nothing to do. So, the Chief decides that each of the three will lub the kitchen drawer roller bearings every eight hours; 8 am, 4 pm and 12 midnight. After a year, it is discovered that this Firechief had no roller bearing failures and a Friday was set aside to award the Chief with an accommodation. But, the mayor found out and decided to Proclaim that Friday as "Firechief Rollerbearing Day."

Soon, the Governor heard about it and Proclaimed... .

So it goes.

I guessin' the tax payers in that town, you know, the one with the goofy fire chief, would be pretty miffed when they got the $10,000 bill for all the oil them there idiots were wasting on them there slides don'tcha think?
Just sayin'

Keith

OK guys, fun is fun ... but how about we get back to Karen's original question about replacing her kitchen drawer slides?

You are so right Lou. All she was asking about was the plastic stopper and the conversation migrated into lubing the bathroom door hinges.

I sure will be glad when Spring arrives. Maybe then we all will quit nit-picking at each other and go back to being the "friendliest site on the web". Just answer the OP's question(s). If you want to get on each other's nerves, use PM's. Then it won't bother the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom