Buying a used Tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am looking at a 2001 Jeep with 115k miles on it and it drives nice, has the tow package already installed. The previous owner used it as his Tow along vehicle with his Motorhome. My question is does the Odometer register when it is being towed? Then do I need to worry about the steering wheel locking while it is being towed?

Think I am going to buy it only because it was very well cared for but only if It will work with my Monaco towing it.

What kind of 2001 Jeep?  We had a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and toad mileage did not show.  Dick nvrver

I have a 2010 Chevy HHR with 85K on the odometer, but in reality probably well over 100,000 miles since it has been towed all over for the past four years. Usually towing does not show on the odometer. Also, 115K on the odometer of that car is high regardless of the cosmetics. I would look further, or buy new or barely used and have a tow package installed.

alarmingfriend said:
I am looking at a 2001 Jeep with 115k miles on it and it drives nice, has the tow package already installed. The previous owner used it as his Tow along vehicle with his Motorhome. My question is does the Odometer register when it is being towed? Then do I need to worry about the steering wheel locking while it is being towed?

Think I am going to buy it only because it was very well cared for but only if It will work with my Monaco towing it.
The clue is, does the steering wheel lock with the key off? If it does you will be required to tow with the key in the run position, to do this and still have a charged battery when you unhook, you will be required to disconnect the battery, or pull the main fuse in the fuse box.

Our 07 JK will lock the steering with the key off, so I have a battery quick disconnect, and a tow harness from http://www.cooltechllc.com

key in the off position the Odometer will not show milage. Same with the battery disconnected and key on.

thomasamski said:
Also, 115K on the odometer of that car is high regardless of the cosmetics. I would look further, or buy new or barely used and have a tow package installed.

not really, our 07 has 117,000 showing and twice that towed.

We have a fairly new cadillac srx that can easily be flat towed but I am considering getting a cheap, used jeep to tow when I get the MH. I don't know for sure but I don't see a need for a real nice car when rv'ing.

Jeeps with the inline 6 cylinder run forever, it's all the knobs and switches and stuff that fail. The 4X4 probably won't show towed mileage because mileage is probably measured by the tranny and you put the transfer case in neutral to tow, effectively disconnecting the transmission from the wheels. Check out this web sight.
http://webcontent.goodsam.com/DinghyGuide2001.pdf

Bill

The link Bill provided above is a little dated, it lists 2001 model year vehicles.
Try this link for more recent info: http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/ 

If they where towing it on all 4 yes it will roll up milage unless the speedo was disconnected.    But that's not a good reason  to pay more money as if it was a low milage vehical.  Towing still puts where and tare on the drive trane

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom