Petite female needs info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flagirl

I am a very active, petite, 72 year young widow considering purchasing a small class A or C for part-time RVing (maybe full time, who knows!).  I want to be able to tow my Nissan Versa so that I can stay in campgrounds and sight see.  Will I be able to hook up and unhook by myself?  What tow system would you recommend?  I would probably go for one that stays with the RV when my car is not on it.

I live in Jacksonville now, grew up in Central Florida.  Still not sure I know what I want to be when I grow up :).  Can work, if I want/need to on line.  Have military campground benefits so RVing is affordable.

First of all, read you car's owners manual, see what it requires to be towed. some cars require a lot of added equipment to be towed 4 down, many times that equipment is more costly than a trailer to tow 4 up. but then you must contend with the third vehicle, license, maintenance, and all that. plus learning to back it up. but it does allow you to back up, 4 down doesn't.
Being petite, and alone, may be a problem, some of the towing equipment is heavy. I would suggest that you find a dealer who will allow you to try at the dealership on a used rig&car.
When part timing it is far easier to rent a U-Haul trailer then drop it when finished.

Thanks for the advice, some good points.  U-Haul is a great idea and if I decide later I want to RV more, I can always buy a tow trailer.  My car would have to have drive train disabled to tow 4 own and I do not want to do that.  In looking I saw some lighter weight tow trailers if I go that route.  Your idea of the try out is important.  Thanks for the info.

Flagirl said:
I am a very active, petite, 72 year young widow considering purchasing a small class A or C for part-time RVing (maybe full time, who knows!).  I want to be able to tow my Nissan Versa so that I can stay in campgrounds and sight see.  Will I be able to hook up and unhook by myself?  What tow system would you recommend?  I would probably go for one that stays with the RV when my car is not on it.
I would recommend the smaller class A over the class C. The reason is if you do go full time you will have more storage. On the tow bar I can recommend the Blue Ox line as the tow bar stays on the coach and is easy to hook up and un hook.
http://www.blueoxtowbars.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA5oy1BRDQh6Wd572hsfkBEiQAfdTPCrq08-Lc-YSDHk7ddBwhLGeaUEV1KB3_KIlzyZycpR4aAtq18P8HAQ
What year car do you have? If it is an auto I don't think it can be towed 4 down but you might be able to use a tow dolly. Is it all wheel drive?
You have the right idea I like to park the RV and go exploring with the car. Not only can you get places you can't with the coach it gets much better mileage.
Bill

The deciding factor on whether you can tow your Nissan Versa 4 down (easiest) or if you need to carry the front wheels on a tow dolly is the type of transmission in your car.

Manual transmissions generally can be towed 4 down without modification.  Automatic transmissions may be towable 4 down with the addition of a transmission lube pump to provide lubrication to the internal parts while the engine is stopped.  CVT transmissions cannot be towed 4 down, they need to have their drive wheels carried on a tow dolly.

To find out more about your particular vehicle, take a look at Remco Towing Product Selection Guide.  Enter your vehicle's information and it will tell you whether it can be towed as-is, whether it needs a supplemental transmission lube pump or if your car needs to be carried on a tow dolly.

I think I have decided a small A is the best way to go and to get a tow dolly.  The kit for 4 down towing would be costly and I drove a truck and pulled our 26 ft. TT or our boat so probably can handle a car.  Still looking for guidance though.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Before you decide on anything, read lots of threads on this (and other) forum.  You must be smarter than the salesman before you are really ready to buy.  Thankfully, this is not hard.

Life is too short to make all the mistakes yourself.  Come here and learn from ours!  Ask any question you want.  If you do not know the answer, it's not a dumb question.  RV's are very different from a house that is expected to hold still.

You can do it!! just get educated first, and avoid newbie OOPS!!

You can do it! 

We have a truck and travel trailer, but wifey is petite and can easily hook it all up solo.  I taught her how to do it all from the get go in case we were ever some place and I got sick or injured, she would be able to hook it up and pull it.  Took her under an hour to master it.  Same thing with a motorhome and toad....not a big deal.  Go for it!

I'm going to suggest that before you buy a tow dolly you pick up the tongue of it and move it around for a while.

There will be times when you have to disconnect it at campgrounds and store it somewhere else in the campground or underneath your RV.

I appreciate all of the advice.  After reading all of this, I am considering getting rid of my car and get a manual transmission to tow.  It seems like this would be the easiest option.  I still need to get out and look and see what feels the best.  Keep the suggestions coming!

You aren't limited to a manual transmission, many auto transmission cars are towable 4 down.

I think you will find 4-down towing to be the most convenient, but that doesn't mean you can only have a manual tranny.  Use the Dinghy (4-down) towing guides at the site below to see what automatic transmission vehicles can be towed without any modifications. There are plenty of choices, in various size, body style and price ranges.

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

For an towable automatic in the size range of your Versa, consider a Ford Fiesta or Chevy Sonic. Both have towable automatics. A couple-year old Honda Fit or CRV (prior to the use of the CVT transmission) would also be a good choice. Many, many RVers tow those.

If  you're active as you first post says, look at a Jeep as a tow car. They are probably the universal towed car. We're towing our 5th Jeep in 22 years of owning motor homes. They're easy to hook up, tow with 4 wheels down, and so popular that the hookup equipment is readily available.

A big plus with a Jeep is if you get to the South West you can have a lot of fun exploring the thousands of miles of 4x4 roads on BLM land that take you to some incredible places. We always find a group of folks here in AZ that love to explore.

Start out with an entry level class C and become familiar with managing an RV, dumping, hookups, and staying in campgrounds. All the while looking at motorhomes and talking to folks. Find out what they like and dislike about their rigs. You'll find that they will be more than willing to share the experiences with you. It usually takes about 2 or 3 different RVs before you have one that you really are happy with.

I would avoid a tow dolly at all costs. They are hard to manage by yourself and almost impossible to backup when hooked up to your coach. Many times I have seen folks struggling with them when they arrive at a campground that has tight sites.

I'll second the above with the exception of recommending a class C. For an individual or couple, a class A makes much more sense;  same price, much more storage, easier to drive, and just more room at the same length.

Ernie

The only advantage of a Class C is the familiar driver position. It eliminates one "learning curve" item on Day One. But after the short learning curve, you are still stuck with the disadvantages (space, storage , weight capacity) of the C.

The Jeep aficionados often neglect to mention that not all Jeeps are towable either. Neither the Compass nor the Patriot qualify for 4-down towing. Nor do the 2WD versions of the Cherokee & Grand Cherokee.

I would still be using a 5th wheeler if I had to use a tow dolly or trailer to transport my towed. I consider a 4 wheels down a MUST when traveling, The 4 down is easy to hookup and unhook with very little effort or strength required. It can be done in about 5 minutes with help and maybe a little longer by yourself. What if you can?t find a pull through camp site and have to unhook the trailer and back into the site? What would you do with the trailer while you use the car? You have seen the posts that tell how to tow any type of car. The pump system costs about $2000 extra which might be a deterrent if you are on a tight budget. I would get a towable car and go 4 wheels down.
I also think it is important to have a big limit on your credit card and a good amount of money readily available in the bank.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The Jeep aficionados often neglect to mention that not all Jeeps are towable either. Neither the Compass nor the Patriot qualify for 4-down towing. Nor do the 2WD versions of the Cherokee & Grand Cherokee.

Gary's right, altho I did mention 4x4 use of the Jeep. You should only look at 4x4 Jeeps, which are all towable with 4 wheels down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom