Petite female needs info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a "pushing 70 year old woman", 5'4" and drive our 36' diesel pusher with a tow car.  I've hooked everything up alone, driven hundreds of miles alone, unhooked and parked the thing alone.  So...my thoughts:

The tow dolly is much heavier and harder to move and hook up than a car with a 4 wheels down set up.  I would not use a tow dolly for either the front wheel set up or fully loaded on a trailer.

The "Sterling Tow-master tow bar" is very light weight, easy to hook up and handle.  That's why we got it.  It was light weight for me.

Do your research, as mentioned, there are several cars that are automatic towable 4 wheels down.

I'm sure with what you are considering as a tow car you will not be over the rated weight; but be sure and run the numbers.  Some Class Cs are only rated to pull 3,500 lbs.; while other Class Cs and Class A's can tow 5,000 lbs.  Diesels can pull much more.  Be sure and check the hitch rating.

This is sometimes overwhelming; but if you do your research you'll prevent some frustration and aggravation or having to redo something.

Have fun.
Marsha~

I had not considered a truck but might.  I like the little Versa I have now, lots of head room, plenty of room for 4 people.  So much great feedback.  I am going to spend the next 3-4 months looking and getting a feel for what I want and feel I can handle. 

If you like the Versa, take a look at the Versa (or Versa Note) with manual transmission.  If you are okay with a basic car without power windows, etc., there are some great deals available on new or slightly used manual Versas.  And, they can be towed 4 wheels down.  I just bought a 2014 Versa Note with 2800 miles that I plan to tow.  So far, I really like the car.  It is so light, that I probably will not feel it behind the motor home, even in the mountains.

Thanks, one of my neighbors has a used one for sale, I may get it looked at. I have really been happy with mine.  I would like to know how you like it as a tow

You should only look at 4x4 Jeeps, which are all towable with 4 wheels down.

Based on what I see in the footnotes of the various dinghy tow guides, even that does not appear to be 100% true. See the caveats below

I see these caveats in the Motorhome Magazine 2015 Dinghy Tow Guide:

Cherokee: Models with 2-Speed Power  Transfer Unit only.

Grand Cherokee: Quadra-Trac II/Quadra-Drive II Four-Wheel Drive models with  4-LO range only.

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorhomemagazine.com/2015DinghyGuide.pdf

I have no first hand knowledge - just reporting what is shown in generally reliable sources.

There is several Videos showing the Grand Cherokee shimming very badly when being towed.

It is some thing about the front suspension set up that doesn't like to be towed.

Other than that, any jeep with a mechanical transfer case can be towed with out problems, manual or automatic simply by placing the transfer case in neutral.
The new electric controlled ones I don't know.

Flagirl said:
Thanks, one of my neighbors has a used one for sale, I may get it looked at. I have really been happy with mine.  I would like to know how you like it as a tow

I have not towed mine yet, it will be March before I will have an opportunity to use it as a toad (weather permitting).  I like the fact that there are no fuses to pull, all you need to do is put it in neutral (and run the engine five minutes after towing it for 500 mile).

When I was shopping, I found several used Versa sedans with very low mileage for less than $10,000.

We had a dealer recently advertising leftover new (2015) Versa Notes for $9995.  If I needed a toad or was sending a kid off to college.....

Tom/Barb said:
There is several Videos showing the Grand Cherokee shimming very badly when being towed.

It is some thing about the front suspension set up that doesn't like to be towed.

Other than that, any jeep with a mechanical transfer case can be towed with out problems, manual or automatic simply by placing the transfer case in neutral.
The new electric controlled ones I don't know.

We've had a 2014 Grand Cherokee, which was towed across the US from AZ to PA and back to AZ to PA with no problems, then got a 2015 Grand Cherokee which has been towed from PA to WA to AZ with no problems. Will be towing it to Alaska from AZ and back this coming summer. I've seen the videos of the ones that had the problem and suspect was due to more operator error than vehicle fault.

Flagirl said:
I don't have one but if it is like my CR-V it follows along like a little puppy, I don't know it is back there. I think you will find towing 4 down as the best way for you. Moving a tow dolly or a trailer around isn't going to be easy for you. Hooking up and un hooking a car that you are toeing 4 down is easy with no heavy lifting or getting down on the ground to hook up straps. I used a dolly for a couple of years.
I would take the time to look at other cars that can be towed that are automatics as you will be driving it most of the time. You will have to decide what works for YOU. I have a 2014 CR-V witch right now is the last year you can tow one 4 down.
When you start looking at RVs I would recommend looking at floor plans to see what will work for you. You might find PPL's web site helpful as it shows lots of different floor plans.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/class-a-motorhomes.php
Bill

Chet18013 said:
We've had a 2014 Grand Cherokee, which was towed across the US from AZ to PA and back to AZ to PA with no problems, then got a 2015 Grand Cherokee which has been towed from PA to WA to AZ with no problems. Will be towing it to Alaska from AZ and back this coming summer. I've seen the videos of the ones that had the problem and suspect was due to more operator error than vehicle fault.

Hear is some factual information on  that problem from the FMCA web site.

Fiat Chrysler today (January 20, 2016) released the following information exclusively to Family Motor Coaching magazine.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC (FCA) has announced plans for resolving a problem that sometimes occurs when 2014-16 Jeep Cherokees are towed four wheels down behind a motorhome. 

FCA released a statement in response to inquiries by Family Motor Coaching magazine and concerns of a number of Jeep owners who reported problems when flat towing their Cherokees. The owners reported that the vehicle sometimes wobbles significantly, raising safety concerns. The wobble reportedly has occurred at slow speeds and at highway speeds, and has happened with a variety of motorhomes and towing systems. The only way to stop the wobble, owners have said, is to bring the vehicle to a complete stop.

The FCA statement said: ?Under certain operating conditions, such as traveling excessively bumpy or poorly maintained roads, the flat-towed vehicle may not consistently track in line with the tow vehicle.? The cause, according to the statement: ?The vehicle?s Electronic Power Steering (EPS) system is inactive while the vehicle is being flat-towed with the ignition in the ?off? position. Accordingly, the vehicle does not benefit from the system?s function.?

A Jeep official said the company knows of several dozen Cherokee owners who have experienced the problem. For those owners, FCA will ?provide a complimentary jumper wire harness and switch to ensure the vehicle?s EPS system has power to function while it is being flat-towed. These components have been engineered and validated by FCA US LLC and will be made available to all customers through MOPAR, as early as January 29. In addition, all Cherokee owners will be contacted directly by FCA US and provided with updated instructions for flat-towing. These instructions supersede all previous instructions. Also, the vehicle?s online owners manual will be updated.?

Family Motor Coaching brought the problem to the attention of Fiat Chrysler in September 2015 after an FMCA member contacted the magazine and provided a link to a video showing a Cherokee wobbling as it was being towed behind a motorhome. FCA assigned engineers and technicians to investigate and resolve the problem.

For more information, Cherokee owners can call the Jeep Customer Assistance Center at (877) 426-5337.

Chet18013 said:

Is there any other vehicle that can be rigged in a manner that would cause this using off the shelf towing equipment? Just curious.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Hear is some factual information on  that problem from the FMCA web site.

Fiat Chrysler today (January 20, 2016) released the following information exclusively to Family Motor Coaching magazine.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC (FCA) has announced plans for resolving a problem that sometimes occurs when 2014-16 Jeep Cherokees are towed four wheels down behind a motorhome. 

For more information, Cherokee owners can call the Jeep Customer Assistance Center at (877) 426-5337.

Are we talking about Cherokees or Grand Cherokees? Our is a Grand Cherokee and does have the electric power steering. Anyhow, thanks for the heads up  and I'll be checking this out.

One thing you can consider is to buy a cheap used vehicle to tow. You can get some jeep or other straight shift. YOu probably wont need a great car while rv'ing.

Jeeps in general don't need to be manual shift.  I believe this includes all Wranglers. Check the owners manual.

Ernie

Chet, don't ask me I gave you the phone number.
Bill

Instead of a motorhome have you considered a travel trailer and a pick up truck. There are two single widows in our park that travel that way. One is next door to us with a Casita trailer and an older 1/2 ton pickup. She loves it. This what my wife will do if she decides to continue RVing when I'm gone. No worries about hooking up tow bars for toads, not being able to back up if needed. The disadvantage is you would have to get out of your truck and walk back to the trailer if you had to use the facilities.

Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
Chet, don't ask me I gave you the phone number.
Bill

Bill, called FCA customer service and they know nothing about it. Can you please give me the FMCA link. I couldn't find it. I'll take a copy of the link in and show the dealer and see if he can shed some light on it.

Thanks

Chet18013 said:
Bill, called FCA customer service and they know nothing about it. Can you please give me the FMCA link. I couldn't find it. I'll take a copy of the link in and show the dealer and see if he can shed some light on it.

Thanks
http://community.fmca.com/topic/8903-important-towing-information-2014-2016-jeep-cherokee/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom