now I am feeling old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RoyM said:
I graduated from high school in 1967, a couple of class mates are now great grandparents. Yikes!!!

In 1968 I was the YOUNGEST person ever to graduate Rose D Warrick High (By 3 months) and like you several of my calssmates are in the Great Grandparent status now..  Kind of scary .. I'm just a grandparent, got well over a decade before "Grand" can be added, likely 2 decades give or take a couple years.

They were still using cast iron, cartoon bomb looking, kerosine lamps, to mark road work/hazards when I started driving. The flashing lights on saw horses came out a little later and then the barrels with the flashing lights followed.

Bill

I felt like I was getting old when I saw the 50th Anniversary ad for the Super Bowl.
I realized I was 18 then I watched Super Bowl #1.

I was just reminiscing with my wife about reading Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias when I was little and couldn't play outside due to weather. A kid today wouldn't even know what that is. Online encyclopedias aren't the same. You can't really leaf through the individual volumes and read about Zanzibar followed by zymurgy.

Bill

driftless shifter said:
I was just reminiscing with my wife about reading Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias when I was little and couldn't play outside due to weather. A kid today wouldn't even know what that is. Online encyclopedias aren't the same. You can't really leaf through the individual volumes and read about Zanzibar followed by zymurgy.

Bill
You had encyclopedias ? wow, we were so poor we couldn't pay attention.

I gave it up 30 years ago when a lovely young college girl was introduced to me and she effused, "Oh, we studied about you in music history!"

Dan
06View J 

driftless shifter said:

Bill
We had Funk and Wagnalls. Dad bought them a volume a week at Safeway.

I saw a cartoon a few years back that showed a teenager looking at a set of Encyclopedia Britannica. He says to his friend, "Dude, somebody printed the whole thing out!"

driftless shifter said:

Bill

Your post reminds me of the time back in 1963 when I was sold a set of Grolier World Books by a door-to-door salesman for about $350 (which I could not really afford).  My thought was that I was buying them for my son who was 3 weeks old at the time (as my wife so forcefully reminded me).  But you know what - all four of my kids delighted in reading those books over and over through the years.  In fact the youngest one has them at his house now and I keep reminding my wife that my 'investment' may not have so stupid afterall.  Of course, those kids didn't have computers, smart phones (or even cell phones) to claim their attention.

Bill

My Dad bought me a set of World Book encyclopedias just before I started 1st grade. I enjoyed them until I graduated, then I passed them off to my neices and nephews.

Maybe this is why our generation seems to know more than the inter web kids. We had  encyclopedias that absorbed us with interesting and useful things instead of an information superhighway that just seems to entertain with quite a bit of useless shite. Didn't have no steenkin popups and such.

Bill

fredethomas said:
The term "Old" shifts as we get older.  When we are 40, 60 seems old,  when 60, 80 seems old,  now at 80+, 90 seems old.

For how I feel day to day, the term "old" shifts with my gout flairups.
Some days I feel like I'm in my 40's, other days I feel like I'm in my 90's.

I'm actually 55.

Paul McCartney wins the award.......
He was denied access to a Grammy award party because the door guy "didn't know who he was"...
I think somebody's out of a job.

Dang it...I'm surrounded by OLD FARTS!  8)

I'm a member of a computer forum where many are complaining about the impeding end of life...turning 30.  :eek:

Like many here...30 is so far in the rear-view mirror, I barely remember it.

My son turned 40 this year... ???

Back
Top Bottom