Need double tow 5th wheel options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hanr3

Hello,

I'm a long time tent camper, over 40 years, however the wife prefers a Hilton on wheels.  8)
We also like to fish and want to camp/fish. Double tow. I have done some research and came up with the below information.
3/4 ton truck- diesel with 8' bed and extended cab is about 20' long, short bed is about 1 1/2' shorter.
16' boat on trailer is about 20' long,
we live in Illinois and it appears we can double tow up to 60'? although one website said something about a special license for up to 65'. Haven't been able to confirm the 65'.

Trouble I am having is finding a 5th wheel in the 20'-24' maybe 27' range. Depends on how much overhangs the bed of the truck? Looking for some numbers on overhang, and/or 5th wheel manufactures in the 20'-24' range?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

You only need to worry about the length behind the truck which is how fivers are measured (floor length) but you are right, at 60' you don't have a lot of room for a trailer. If momma wants a Hilton on wheels she won't be happy with a small fiver. Can you consider a boat carrier over the cab and hood? My buddy has one, his is home made and a bit crude but with an electric winch it works for him.

For measurements, go to a dealer with a tape measure.  Measure from the back bumper to the pin.  Also measure the tow vehicle from the pin attachment point to the back bumper.  Truck length + camper length to pin - pin to bumper = combo length.

Some campers come with a receiver, others do not.  Verify the 5er can handle the double tow weight.  Camper frame and / or hitch receiver may need reinforcement to be safe.

For double towing, some states allow it. Others do not.  Where it is allowed, length limits vary.

Make sure you check with EVERY state you will travel in for their rules.  If you plan to stay in Illinois, this is simpler.

One person here, who will probably chime in shortly, solved this problem.  He pulls the camper with the 3500 and his wife follows with the boat behind the 1500.

this site tells you if you can legally in Illinois which you can apparently

http://towingworld.com/towinglawsbystate.cfm?state2=IL

it also says max length 60 feet so that cuts your options down a lot, as Roy says a boat carrier over the truck would work

https://www.usrack.com/responsive/fifth-wheel-truck-rack.php

or

http://boatloader.com/
this one is slick i've seen it in use its gives you a larger capacity for a boat
cheers

cheers

While I appreciate the responses, none have answered my question. Who sells a 5th wheel in the 20'-24' range? Maybe I didn't ask the right question?

I know your trying to help, and appreciate it. There are plenty of other threads on state laws, etc. I haven't found any on double towing that are applicable to my question. I'm not the first guy who wants to tow his boat and trailer to the lake.  In fact, I know I'm not the first guy to think of it. Each state has laws regulating it.

Replies to the comments made thus far.
Yes, Illinois is 60'. This IS my restriction. My boat is 20' long, most 3/4 ton truck configurations are 18.75'-20' long. That leaves 20' between the rear bumper of the truck to the rear bumper on the 5th wheel. There is a 16"-24" required space between the 5th wheel cabin and truck rear bumper for swing. 

I will be traveling around the US, mostly chasing Crappie.

I'm trying to do the math without a truck or trailer. I don't want to be the guy who buys it only to find out it won't work. I have to find a truck / trailer combo that falls under 40'. When I hook up the boat I will be at 60'. I can't measure what I don't have. I will not find a 5th wheel trailer that meets my needs locally to measure. I looked already.

First things first. 
Yes, I know some trailers may not be designed to tow a trailer. However there are ways to correct the problem, if need be. But I can't worry about that until I find a trailer that will meet the length requirement first. If the combo is too long, it doesn't matter if the 5th wheel can tow a trailer or not.
Yes, I know there are 5 states that don't allow double tow. Won't matter if I can't find a trailer to meet my needs.

Boat over truck is not an option. 20' truck with a 3,000 pound 20' long boat/trailer on top doesn't leave any room for a 5th wheel in the bed of the truck. Assuming the truck could carry the load of the boat and trailer and not max out. 

I've seen couples at the lake. Each is pulling something. Sorry, not my idea of a vacation together. No, the wife will not be pulling the boat. Not mentioned yet, however I suspect it will be eventually. No, I am not getting a slide in camper or motor home. I am not breaking camp to launch the boat. Nor am I breaking camp if we want to go out to a local establishment for food / entertainment.

All good suggestions, however most aren't applicable until I find a trailer.

Back to my dilemma- There are over 130 Brands of 5th wheels, someone must make a trailer for this market. Who?
Shortest I have found so far is 27', that's tooooooo long.

Does it have to be a 5th wheel?  There are small bumper pull trailers that are really nice in the length you need.

what you are looking for is going to be very hard to find, does it exist? maybe, to be honest - i think you need to do some more research yourself. Maybe go to a couple RV shows where dealers and dealer Reps are and speak with them they are more than willing to try sell you something. Also try searching rvtrader.com i looked at 22-26ft and under New  and Used  and came up with 661
cheers

fox mountain 235RLS 23 ft

here is the link for you

http://www.rvtrader.com/search-results?type=Fifth%20Wheel%7C198070&radius=any&lat=51.145674899999996&long=-114.25058419999999&modelkeyword=1&sort=geo_distance%3Aasc&length=22%3A26&page=1&

kwbush said:
ummmm Steve,  look at the previous post...  I didn't think they existed either, but there it is...

Keith
thats why i did the search Keith i came up 661 units - but and a BIG BUT will we find the correct one? @under 26 ft the options are limited and so are the floor plans there were like 500 ads for the same model lol, the poster is going to have to do some research himself to be happy. of the NEW units it seemed to be the same 2-3 units over and over again

please remember while its legal in Illinois to triple tow and most if not all the states close to it you cant triple  tow in some states - have you considered buying a larger truck so that you can put the boat over the cab or a smaller boat, @ 3000lbs it seems like a big boat. Not trying to be a smart ass but this was our exact same situation we had to settle on driving 2 trucks and actually it works great because we each get to listen to our own music at our own volume and have our own space while travelling. Then we have a huge trailer which we love and a huge boat which we love. So in the spring before boat season starts we go camping with just the trailer and the same in the fall when boating ends. there are sometimes we just take the boat out for the day and not bother with the trailer for US it ended up being a great solution

cheers steve

Scamp is the only one that small. Shadow cruiser built a really nice one years ago but no longer. You may be able to find one used however I looked about 10 yrs ago and only found 2.

Trouble I am having is finding a 5th wheel in the 20'-24' maybe 27' range. Depends on how much overhangs the bed of the truck? Looking for some numbers on overhang, and/or 5th wheel manufactures in the 20'-24' range?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Try these folks http://www.allencampermfg.com/Up-to-27--5th-Wheel.html

I double towed with a long bed chevy/ 26' Aljo 5th wheel trailer and a 3400 lb 18' bass boat for over eight years. My total was 62' 8" according to a troopers tape.

Measure from the trucks front bumper to the center of the trucks rear axle ( or pin location).
Measure from the trailers pin to the trailers bumper.
Measure from your boat trailer ball hitch to the farthest point aft which should be the boat motors skeg.
Now add them for a approx total length. This will get you close.

This site lists towing laws by state        http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm          This may be helpful.

Generally, states in the NE and SE do not allow double tows.  There are more than 5 who say no.  All states adjacent to IL say OK.

To reinforce what you already said, some states ONLY allow double tows behind a 5th wheel.  You are on the right track.
You are also very wise to "pencil whip" this before you spend lots of money to find it will not work.

What about a SHORT BED truck with a Pull Rite hitch?  Long bed = 8 ft.  Regular bed = 6 ? ft.  Short bed = 5 ft.  This may save a couple needed feet.  The Pull Rite hitch automatically slides the pin hitch point back every time the truck turns, then slides back forward on the straightaway.

My late father in law was a huge crappie fisherman.  I wish you luck finding what you are looking for.

Forget what I said about short beds.  They are only available on 1500 models, and only with a crew cab.  The regular cab long bed is shorter.

Keystone Cougar makes a 24 footer....Nice too!

Good Luck - on another note - guy pulled in today with a nice MH and a custom trailer - with a jeep on the lower level and the boat and trailer on the top level - hydraulic - lowered boat and trailer and hooked up to the jeep...pretty sweet.

Good Luck,

Jim

I have been considering this problem for a while also. I would like to begin double towing in the next few years. My state of WI has a 65' length limit. I have been looking at some small Jayco models, the shortest one is the 23.5RBS. A quick calculation brings you about 60' with a short bed truck, maybe a bit more. One thing to consider is are you able to shorten the tongue of your boat trailer a bit? They often extend more than is really necessary.

Thanks for the reply's and well wishes.

Thanks for the links of trailer models.

I can shorten the boat trailer length about 2' if needed. I installed a swing away hitch when I remodeled the boat. I have a 20' deep garage and the boat/trailer was too long, until I installed the swing away. I can make another hitch section that attaches to the swing away. Use the short version for traveling to the campsite, and install the longer version to launch/retrieve the boat at the ramp.

Back
Top Bottom