Yellowstone Park Fishing Bridge RV and Getting around without a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone for the great advice.  I decided to tow my Honda CRV to Yellowstone and use Fishing Bridge RV Park as a base for the 7 days we are in Yellowstone. 

Better by quite a bit. Yellowstone is a traffic jam. Tetons are prettier, easier to score a campsite, and more and varied wildlife. And the trees are all standing up straight.

Never cease to amaze,  You have your opinion, and that is it your opinion, not a fact.  I like them both, but would never make that kind of blanket announcement that one or the other is better.  Both awesome places, and next to one another. 

PancakeBill said:
Better by quite a bit. Yellowstone is a traffic jam. Tetons are prettier, easier to score a campsite, and more and varied wildlife. And the trees are all standing up straight.

Never cease to amaze,  You have your opinion, and that is it your opinion, not a fact.  I like them both, but would never make that kind of blanket announcement that one or the other is better.  Both awesome places, and next to one another.
There is nothing wrong with posting an opinion. I did not say anyone else was wrong, I was just stating my preference. I never claimed to be stating a fact. You need to mellow out some Bill.

Sure looked like fact stating.  I am pretty mellow, but in my opinion, you come out with statements, maybe try using the shorthand 'IMO'.  Just little opinion on my part. 

How would it be to use a motorscooter to get around parks such as Yellowstone or the Tetons? I expect I'd have to hold back aways if the bison are on the move. What about Yogi and BooBoo?

I don't see the reason for putting IMO in front of everything I type here. That is all anyone here has to offer is opinions. I would not want to do Yellowstone on a scooter. Not because of the buffalo but because of the distances.

I had a motorcycle here the first year, I sold it between first and second.  You want a car.  Scooter or mc would work, but you would feel pretty exposed in a bison jam.  I wouldn't worry much about the bears, thay are not typically on the road (typically!) but bison use the road.  I was in a jam stopped, the herd was moving up the road on other lane.  I had kickstand down, motor off and was standing on opposite side, and ready to jump into the pickup bed in front of me. 

Nowadays I deal with them while aboard a snowmobile,still very cautious.

Tom, you are correct, you don't need to insert IMO, I just consider everything your opinion.  Easier that way, see how I am more mellow now?

nibroc said:
I've been on my bike in a bison jam--scary feeling--but when I go back I will have my bike to get around
Perhaps that (scary feeling) was trying to tell you something. Doing something stupid and getting away with it doesn't mean it isn't stupid to do it again.
Bill

Being in a bison jam can give you the creeps when on a motorcycle, but it has not been a problem.  I was more concerned with the obsidian in the road surface chewing my tires up.  The weather patterns over an entore season here makes a mc not the most prudent means of transport. 

If I still had a bike, and did not live here and was visiting, I woould ride it.  Heck I have to go to town to supplement grocery on a snowmobile and pass bison all the time.

I will say it again it is irresponsible to imply that getting close to the wildlife in the park isn't dangerous.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/15041.htm

http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/injuries.htm
Bill you may know how close you can get because you have experience, but there are to many people who want to get a "selfey" with the cute little bear cub or buffalo.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
I will say it again it is irresponsible to imply that getting close to the wildlife in the park isn't dangerous.
Driving a car is a lot more dangerous than getting close to wildlife. I have been a wildlife photographer for years and yes there is a risk involved in getting close but I don't feel it is anywhere near as dangerous as driving down the road. I bet there is a lot more people killed in Yellowstone in car accidents every year than there is by wildlife encounters.

SeilerBird said:
Driving a car is a lot more dangerous than getting close to wildlife. I have been a wildlife photographer for years and yes there is a risk involved in getting close but I don't feel it is anywhere near as dangerous as driving down the road. I bet there is a lot more people killed in Yellowstone in car accidents every year than there is by wildlife encounters.
I will say it again it is irresponsible to imply that getting close to the wildlife in the park isn't dangerous. What part of this don't you understand? Just because have been a wildlife photographer for years. Just like I told Bill, the fact you may know how close you can get because you have experience. This doesn't help the un knowing "city" person who doesn't know and who want to get a "selfey" with the cute little bear cub or buffalo.
With over 4 million visitors last year to Yellowstone how many have that experience?
Bill

No one is saying you should get close to wildlife but it is not near as dangerous as you are making it out to be. I will say it again, driving a car is a lot more dangerous.

SeilerBird said:
No one is saying you should get close to wildlife but it is not near as dangerous as you are making it out to be. I will say it again, driving a car is a lot more dangerous.
Every one who reads this will understand that the original point was  about riding a bike in a buffalo heard. It has nothing to do with driving a car (a much better option in this case) but on being safe around the wildlife.
Bill 

WILDEBILL308 said:
Every one who reads this will understand that the original point was  about riding a bike in a buffalo heard. It has nothing to do with driving a car (a much better option in this case) but on being safe around the wildlife.
Bill
So exactly how many people have been injured riding a bike near a buffalo herd? You must have the figures since you speak with such authority.

One word "Darwin".
It is a self-correcting part of nature let each individual chose his own way. Childish back and forth here only irritates other readers without helping the OP...IMHO.

From Yellowstone's website:
"Yellowstone National Park is the only place in the lower 48 states to have a continuously free-ranging bison population since prehistoric times. Because of their sheer physical size, their numbes increase each year in Yellowstone Park. There are over 4,000 bison residing in Yellowstone and are the #1 cause of summer jams in the park. Traffic can be at a standstill for hours but still we love them. Bison mate in July and August and the mature bulls begin their head butting during this mating period. Bison can exceed over 2,000 lbs and cause more human injuries than any other wildlife combined in Yellowstone Park. Given their docile nature (except when in rut) visitors loose precaution when approaching bison and that's when they become gore victims. Bison can exceed speeds of 30 mph - how fast can the average Yellowstone tourist run. The smart money would be on the Bison. Bison calves are born in late April and May and again, due to the sheer size of their parents. rarely do the calves become victims of predation. Like elk, bison are everywhere throughout Yellowstone so there is no need to stop your vehicle in the middle of the road the take a quick digital snapshot unless the bison are in the road then please slowly give them the right of way."

There have been 3 people killed by Bison in the park , but I haven't found a total number of the injuries. Ya'll can make your own decision.

We have about 2-6 bison injuries pr year, not very often on bicycles, but bicycles are not often in vicinity.  Most recent ones have involved selfie-sticks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom