Winnebago Trend Issues/Delivery Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoo

Have made a deal to buy a Winnebago Trend--leftover 2015 model, sight unseen.  My wife & I are RV newbies, I just retired and we want to begin touring the country beginning this Spring.  We live in Pennsylvania and there are no nearby Winnebago dealers.  Explored different options at nearby large multi-brand dealer that does not carry Winnebago and after doing quite a bit of research online settled on the Trend. Wanted something relatively small, affordable, and maneuverable which we could take most anywhere (no desire to pull a toad).  However, the Class B's such as Roadtrek Zion and Agile and Winnebago Travato are just too small for us (ceiling height of 6'3" is a problem--I'm 6'5' in shoes), as is the lack of storage, and I didn't think I could live with the wet baths. Therefore, gravitated to a small Class C.  The Trend seemed to be about the right size and price, less costly than the Sprinter based models. Closest Winnebago dealer is 1 hour away and they didn't have any Trends, nor did a couple of other dealers in relatively close proximity. 

The gist of this is that I ended up making a deposit on a Trend that is at a dealer about 5 hours away, and I'm a bit nervous about my decision. I've tried to read as much about it as possible, but I haven't seen that much in the way of owner feedback.  From what I've read, the front wheel drive Ram Promaster chassis and Pentastar engine generally has been well received.  It has been described as being stable--in spite of the fact that it doesn't have rear duallies  and has a relatively long rear overhang.  I did read one thread describing some pulling to the left when passing (torque steer???), but otherwise it appears to handle competently and gas mileage, appears to be decent.  Another thread describes issues with the loft bed in 2014 and 2015s.  There apparently has been no recall.  I'm getting the 23L corner bed model, so the loft bed will be little used. In fact I would probably just as soon not even have it since it undoubtedly compromises headroom in that part of the coach--I'll probably have to do some ducking. 

Anything else I should look out for?  I've seen it suggested that you should hire an RV inspector prior to purchase--but I would think that would be more applicable to a used RV. This is a new, leftover RV which will have a new warranty, but which has probably been sitting around on the dealer lot for close to a year. Also, since I'm 5 hours away, any warranty work will likely have to be done by a dealer nearer me--and I understand that if you purchased your RV elsewhere they may not make it a priority, so I'd like to find any obvious deficiencies before it leaves this dealer. 

I've seen a couple of pre-purchase RV checklists which are helpful, but I've got no real expertise and only the most glaring of issues will likely be apparent to me. Since I will be picking this baby up in the dead of winter in Northwest Pennsylvania, a thorough inspection will be somewhat problematic.  Is it reasonable to have the dealer place the vehicle in an indoor facility (showroom/service area?) to facilitate inspection?  I understand you are supposed to open every drawer, check to see that the furnace/air conditioning, and all the gadgets work including the generator. However, the RV will be winterized.  Is it reasonable to expect them to de-winterize it and fill up tanks with water so I can check the plumbing, hot-water heater, etc. and then winterize it again at the completion of the walk through/inspection?  Am I really supposed to climb up on top of the roof and under the coach, and overfill the gray and black water tanks to search for water leaks?  Are they supposed to do a front end alignment or at least check it?

The owner of the dealership seems to be forthright and reasonable over the phone.  His price was reasonable and he was only requiring a refundable $500 deposit to hold the vehicle, but since we asked that he add a convection microwave and a 2nd coach battery we agreed to make the deposit nonrefundable.  Although he was willing to store the RV for free until we needed it in the Spring after the deal was completed I expect to pick it up in the next few weeks due to the distance involved.

This is all new to us. What should we expect?

I would ask for those things you mentioned, but I think you should be prepared to pay extra to have it re-winterized. Or do it yourself when you get home (it's not hard - see the forum Library for help).

For a new RV under warranty, the primary goal is for you to understand where everything is and how it works. You don't have to crawl underneath or on top of a new one, but you surely want to avoid the need for warranty repairs in a couple weeks or months. The best way is to plan on spending a couple days at the dealership and stay in the RV, if that can be arranged. Even if just in the dealer parking lot. Then you can ask more questions and get attention to fixes right away. You only need an electrical outlet for a couple of nights stay.

Hi Hoo

Congrats with your new RV. We bought our (used) RV in December, just before the winter started. We negotiated that the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) to be done in April. The RV was already winterized. Anything that would be found not working during the PDI would be repaired before we take delivery. This was put into the purchase contract and also the storage at the dealer until April. Our dealer is a 2 hour drive so a little better than your 5 hours. After the PDI in APril we can stay a few days on the lot to get used to the RV and fix any additional stuff.

Good luck 

One thing that you might find troublesome with your height is the corner bed. I would have them demonstrate everyting except the water related items.

Another option for you is to pull the plug on the deal and wait until better weather -or- make a trip to Florida and visit Lazydays on the outskirts of Tampa - they have acres and acres and acres of RVs.  Buy there and you spend two nights on a pad in their delivery area and then you can move 1/2 a mile to their RV park and spend a few days while you get to know your new unit.

HOO

Have you thought about looking at the Viva built by Winnebago under the Itasca brand. They also have a 23L floor plan as well built on the Ram Promaster chassis.

Where are you located in Pa. I know of a dealer in NJ that has (2) 2015 23L Viva's in stock. Check out
www.colonialitasca.com great people to deal with great service as well.

If you are interested let me know and I will give you the best person to contact. I am not a salesman for them, just a satisfied customer.

Good Luck

I am familiar the dealership in NJ. I had a number of conversations with one of their salesmen regarding the two Viva RVs they have in stock, and we were negotiating.  Salesman was very pleasant over the phone and seemed quite forthright. However, it came down to price--The other dealer was significantly less expensive for the Trend. In addition, the NJ dealer wanted a $5,000 nonrefundable deposit, vs only a $500 refundable deposit for the western PA dealer.  Also, the Itasca Viva is no longer going to manufactured which made me think that resale could be slightly affected down the road.  Although the dealer in NJ is closer to me than the one in western PA, both dealers are far enough away that I will, hopefully, find other options for service in closer proximity.

BTW, we were in Northern Virginia visiting my daughter and I finally was able to see a Trend in person (used 2014) and I think it will suit our purposes.  The corner bed will probably be ok--I won't exactly be able to stretch out but I think it will be adequate.  Ceiling height under the loft bed is less than ideal--I do have to duck a bit, but I can get used to it. Overall size seems to be about right for us--while I wish the interior was more spacious, the outside dimensions, if anything, are actually greater than I would like to allow for maneuverability, easy access/parking etc. I'd love to be able to drive a B class, but need a greater amount of headroom, interior space and storage, so this seems to be a reasonable compromise.

HOO
Exactly what price did Colonial quote you, better than $69,999 that seems like a great price. one of the Viva's  already has the micro/convection oven and second battery. Great price  even though it is being replaced by a new model, you will take that hit no matter what you buy.
Good luck in what ever you buy.

Colonial offered to sell the Viva at $65,500 (the one with the battery and the convection microwave).  I thought it was a good price, but the other dealer was $1,000 cheaper with the same equipment (and it was going to cost him significantly more to obtain the convection oven and 2nd coach battery from Winnebago--and in doing so he only raised his price from $64,000 to $64,500).  In addition, I had a slight preference for the Winnebago Trend name over Itasca Viva name (justified or not) since the latter was being discontinued.  Also, Colonial wanted a $5,000 nonrefundable deposit compared to a $500 refundable deposit for the dealer in Western PA, and their documentation fees were slightly higher in New Jersey.  I was dealing directly with the owner at the PA dealer so that may have been the difference.  The salesman at Colonial was very personable over the phone and I was ready to make the deal, but the dealer in Western PA was more accommodating.  Both offered to store the vehicle for free until I was ready for it in the Spring. 

I will make a cautionary comment. "COMPROMISE" is not a great plan when buying a new rv. If it's not great when you buy it, by the time you've had it a few years you'll have real problems with it. Particularly where there are multiple areas you can criticize right off the top of your head.

Granted, there are always compromises but the things you've cited are every day complaints.  Just my two cents worth (discounted two cents).

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom