Northern Food Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neuro

I just got back from a trip down winter/ice roads to deliver trucks and snowmobiles to remote First Nation reserves in northern Manitoba. Some of the reserves are only accessible by air most of the year so freight charges greatly inflate food prices. Milk has been subsidized to half of it's origional cost of sixteen dollars per jug. A pack of cigarettes is only twenty six dollars. Average grocery bills for a family of four in a urban area is 8,500 per year versus 23,500 in Shamatawa First Nations. Efforts are under way to assist people in remote communitites to eat healthy non processed foods...Pics here...

https://neuro.smugmug.com/Northern-Food-Prices/i-nhT8PZC

And we think we have it tough, but even with a 44 cent premium, prices are minuscule by comparisio.
    How realistic is the TV show Ice Road Truckers?

Ed

The Ice Road Truckers show is dramatized like most shows and I only had difficulty driving in overcast skies so you were in a sense snow blind. We maintained speeds of 15 to 25 MPH but hit some nasty hummocks (hills) and bottomed the suspension a few times. No damage to the trucks but the snowmobile trailers took a good beating. Driving at night is much better since the headlights provide more contrast and detail of the terrain ahead. We had to strap down our gear in the cab so we wouldn't get injured when the back seat contents flew into the front seat. The roads are rated for 28 tons so no heavy traffic yet. The heavy trucks push a pressure wave ahead of them crossing the ice and I give them a lot of room. There are some well paying government jobs with a northern allowance premium but a lot of the native population eats poorly and diabetes is very common.

Back
Top Bottom