Coolant additives and cavitation erosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I will, I will!? Ron has his work cut out for him when I get there, although the forum here might get a brief respite!? ;D

Tom said:
Blueblood, thanks for those words of wisdom (and speculation). Thanks also for the link.

blueblood said:
First, coolant capacity is not specified in manuals generally because there are differences by several factors including the engine/radiators and related plumbing plus addded lines used to cool other radiators some of which may be all the the way to front of unit.

Understood, but Monaco should know those variables. In fact, my Monaco manual says "see the coolant capacity specified in this section", but it proceeds to omit the information from that section.

Yes, but often times manuals are written generically. It will often take a phone call to get the info.

The original FCCC manual covered both trucks and RV's. I got into a heated discussion with my extended warranty carrier because the policy said all items included in manual had to be completed and I hadn't done some of them.  It didn't matter that the items referred to weren't on the RV chassis.  :mad:

Smoky said:
I sincerely hope by the time this discussion reaches an end, one of you diesel pusher "physicists" translates all of this into simple instructions for the owner of a 330 hp Cummins to follow.  :D

Cummins can only say check your SCA level every 15,000 miles or 6 months because the whole thing is dependent upon coolant your builder selects. They use 15,000 miles because its the normal change interval for oil so its a way to remember to get it done. Once you get info from your builder on coolant used and total system capacity then you can hear "the rest of the story"  ;D

After amost an hour on the phone with 3 different people at Monaco, all very friendly and wanting to help, I'm not really any wiser. I first talked to Tech Support who couldn't give me the cooling system capacity, but went off to find the "correct" filter number. I was on hold so long, my cell phone disconnected us. Callled back, couldn't get back to the first guy, and started again with someone else. Similar routine - couldn't find the coolant capacity, and finally transferred me to Parts because "this stuff is all spec'd out".

The lady in Parts eventually came back with the WF2071 filter (4 DCA4 units), but couldn't tell me if that was for a new coach, a new charge of coolant, or a routine replacement.

Nobody was able to give me either the capacity of the system or the type of coolant used. This stuff really shouldne't be that difficult to find out, especially given the apparent importance of getting it right.

Tom,

Try sending Monaco an E-mail asking what the capacity of your cooling system is.  Include the vin nbr etc.  Ask them for a response in say two days or give them a date.  You might just have better luck than trying to get info on the phone.

I just check my Water filter is the WF2071 and is the inservice size.  I rplace the WF at every oil change and test coolant with the test strips once or twice in between oil changes.  Probably not necessary but its easy enough to do.  Besides the test strips only last so long so may as well use them as throw them away.

Thanks for the suggestion and info Ron. One question I have - if, for example, your coolant is withing spec at oil change time, do you still change the filter?

Tom said:
After amost an hour on the phone with 3 different people at Monaco, all very friendly and wanting to help, I'm not really any wiser. I first talked to Tech Support who couldn't give me the cooling system capacity, but went off to find the "correct" filter number. I was on hold so long, my cell phone disconnected us. Callled back, couldn't get back to the first guy, and started again with someone else. Similar routine - couldn't find the coolant capacity, and finally transferred me to Parts because "this stuff is all spec'd out".

The lady in Parts eventually came back with the WF2071 filter (4 DCA4 units), but couldn't tell me if that was for a new coach, a new charge of coolant, or a routine replacement.

Nobody was able to give me either the capacity of the system or the type of coolant used. This stuff really shouldne't be that difficult to find out, especially given the apparent importance of getting it right.

Tom = I don't know Monaco - but if I remember they make their own chassis. If so, the info is likley to be at the hands of chassis people since thier the ones who would dress the engine and fill the coolant. Is there a way to get a hold of someone at their chassis facility ??

Here is Fleetguard's way on coolant adder

The following action is required after testing coolant at the normal oil drain interval for liner pitting protection:

Below 1.2(0.3) units per gallon(liter): Precharge the system, add 5 units for each 4 gallons (15 liters) of coolant. Replace service filter.

1.2(0.3) to 3.0 (0.8) units per gallon(liter): Replenish the SCA by installing new service filter or adding
appropriate liquid dose at each oil change interval.

Above 3.0(0.8) units per gallon(liter): Stop adding SCA. Do not replace the service filter. Test at every subsequent service interval. Resume adding SCA when level falls
back below 3.0(0.8) units per gallon (liter).

I don't know why but this forum software changes the values shown in parens to smilies

blueblood said:
I don't know Monaco - but if I remember they make their own chassis. If so, the info is likley to be at the hands of chassis people since thier the ones who would dress the engine and fill the coolant.

Well this is definitely one of those HFWPOH (hit forehead with palm of hand) moments! Monaco does ineed make their own chassis, known as Roadmaster, and I toured that factory in Wakarusa, IN last year. I'll try calling them tomorrow to see if I can get better luck. Darn, wish I'd kept a business card for the guy who gave us the tour - he knew off the top of his head which options, fluids, etc went into every year/rev of every chassis. Monaco's CS number of course routes you to a call center.

Thanks for the Fleetguard info.

Ron said:
Yes with the normal inservice filter. In our case the WF2071.

If your vehicle is Cummins equipped and change interval is 15,000 mile then my application data says your system capacity is somewhere between 6 and 10 gals. Be interested to know if you know the actual number of gals.

In the case of my C 8.3 mechanical engine in my '98 Dream, the capacity of the cooling system is 10 gallons.  I change the coolant every 2 years and have just bought a supply of Fleetguard Compleat coolant concentrate which I mix with distilled water for the changeover.

I was going to suggest Roadmaster, but did not want to step in and walk here among the giants.  :D

I do hope when this is done we get a simple set of instructions for the simple-minded Cummins owners (like me).

Basically the following is what I would recommend.  Normally just replacing water filter at each oil change with the inservice

1. Change oil at the recommended 15,000 miles or once a year which ever comes first.  We change once a year.

2. A]  Test coolant at oil change and if in the green replace water filter with service water filter, in my case W2071.
    B)  If DCA level falls below recommended level instal water filter as recommended by your Cummins shop such as W2074
          or correct by installing normal inservice filter and adding DCA base on your calculations to determine the correct amount.
    c)  If DCA level is above recommended value do not replace filter but monitor untill DCA level returns to proper level.

Terrific Ron!  Just what I was looking for!  That message goes into my permanent maintenance file!  I will also research what filters are recommended for my coach.

Smoky said:
Terrific Ron!? Just what I was looking for!? That message goes into my permanent maintenance file!? I will also research what filters are recommended for my coach.

Let your dealer know you want this information at time of delivery.

Smoky said:
Terrific Ron!  Just what I was looking for!  That message goes into my permanent maintenance file!  I will also research what filters are recommended for my coach.

FWIW _ I put tje Fleetguard recommendation below in an answer; it s little more detailed.

Back
Top Bottom