Problem with refrigerator freezing??!!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LonnieMaynard

Am wondering if anyone else has this problem or can offer any tips or advice with a problem that we are having. Our refrigerator is freezing everything!  We have changed the thermostat location all over the place (attached it to all different fins, as directed to do so by the service dept at the local RV shop). We also replaced whatever the part was that makes the unit change from gas to electic (at one point it would only run on propane), so that's fixed, and it now will run on either.

So, it runs correctly as far as using propane or electric, the power to run it is there.  The issue is that it just freezes everything!  There is a button inside the freezer door for "Climate Control" which turns the "Climate Control" on and off, but regardless of whether thats on or off makes no difference, everything freezes.  It doesn't matter if we have the refrigerator full of food or almost empty.

Does anybody have any ideas?  We are at our wits end!!!

Thanks so much!

Jeanne

If moving the thermistor (temp sensor) around doesn't help, I would guess either a bad thermistor or a bad fridge circuit board. In other words, it never stops the cooling cycle, keeping it on till things freeze.  What make & model of fridge (Dometic or Norcold)? Have you contacted the manufacturer's tech support?  They will probably refer you to an authorized service center for that sort of problem, but maybe you need to find a different place than the one at the local RV dealer.

Dometic Service

Dometic Customer Support

Norcold Service Centers

Norcold Email Help

I'm one of those guys that if it's not covered under warranty I fix it myself by throwing parts at it.  I agree; either the sensor is bad or the board is bad.  When you call the manufacturer ask them when the Ohm reading is supposed to be for the sensor.  They will give you a range.  If it's on the edge of the range it is probably still bad.

Thanks for the input!

It is a Dometic - I will try the links that you provided and see if we can get anywhere with them.  We have an extended warranty on our RV that covers it for 7 years but everytime we do anything is costs us the deductible which I think winds up costing about $200 each time, so the thermistor part that your describing would probably be cheaper if we can replace it ourselves.  It's' ruining a ton of food!  ???

Here's a quote from the refrigerator tips at RVMobile.com

2. If the temperature sensing system fails, the board would cause the refrigerator to cool continuously in the mode selected by the eyebrow. In other words, the refrigerator will not shut down as long as power is available. Usually the thermistor needs to be changed when this happens.

The "eyebrow" refers to the control panel above the door. The "temperature sensing system" is the thermistor and the wiring that connects it to the circuit board. You could have a broken wire or a bad connection at the circuit board. Check that out first, then buy a thermistor if the wiring appears OK.

Hi Gary!

Thanks for the heads up!  I have never heard of this (not sure where you found the part that your referenced either so I need to look around some more though too).  We're going to look at it today and also try the thermistor part if needed to start with, so we'll see if that works.  If the wire is broken do you know if we would visibly see it or would more likely be inside?

Another thing on this mystery that I was thinking about is that this freezing problem has been something that would happen on and off and then stop for a while and then it would happen again, a long time ago before it started happening all the time.

Hopefully we'll know more after we try this thermistor today.  The replies on the post have really helped.
:)

Lonnie,

You can test the thermistor. It plugs into the circuit board located inside the outer refrigerator access panel. Remove the cover from the circuit board and pull the thermistor plug from the connector on the board. Place an ohmmeter across the two thermistor leads that you removed. Now remove the thermistor from the cooling fins inside the refrigerator, and immerse it in a glass of ice water. Let it sit for a few minutes for the temperature of the thermistor to stabilize. Now read the ohmmeter. It should read between 7,000 and 10,000 ohms if it is good. If not, replace it. 

Hmmm.  I've never heard of an intermittent thermistor, but a bad wire or corroded contact often will have intermittent failures before becoming solid.

No, you usually cannot visually detect a broken wire - you usually have to test it for continuity with an ohmmeter. A bad (corroded) connection, on the other hand, may be visible. It can often be fixed (at least temporarily) by disconnecting and reconnecting the leads onto the circuit board.  That often breaks through the corrosion enough to let it function again.

:) :) :) Hey Everyone!!!  It's been a while since I made this post and have been able to get on the board (it was a bit between the post and Lonnie actually being able to do the repair due to us getting sick around here and then needing to have the part ordered) - BUT...  It FIXED IT!

Sure enough!  You all knew exactly what it was!  The thermistor (hope I spelled it correctly).  It has been about a week since we changed the part out (which only took minutes), and the fridge is working 100% now.

Thank you all so very, very much for your input!  I was afraid that we would never get this figured out!  Goodness!  You're awesome!!!    :) :) :)

:::thumbs up:::

Jeanne

Glad you got the problem solved, Jeanne, and thanks for letting us know. Often we give advice but never hear whether it was good advice or not. Feedback helps us give better advice in the future.

RV Roamer said:
Glad you got the problem solved, Jeanne, and thanks for letting us know. Often we give advice but never hear whether it was good advice or not. Feedback helps us give better advice in the future.

I agree with you Gary - Absolutely!  We have our little forum (it's so tiny you'd get a good chuckle) and folks post questions there too and then never come back and it is not very helpful.  I am not real active on forums but I always try to follow up, and when I am on them I always try to look around and see if there are any posts that I can contribute to, to be of help to someone else.  Kind of 'pass it on' so to speak. 

I sure wish I knew more about the RV's, as the folks on this forum sure are friendly.  It feels really good to have that "welcome" feeling when you go onto a board.  I'd like to keep in touch with everyone, and I know I will pop in here and there.  But...  Lonnie is the one that pretty much does everything around here though -

Anyway, I will stop back in after a while to see how things are going.  In the meantime, if anyone happens to be in the Houston/Katy/Richmond/Bellville area of Texas and needs any hints, tips or info on RV Parks and ammenities, feel free to send me a PM or email and I will be happy to help.  :eek:)

Thanks again!

I am searching the forum and saw this post... our fridge is freezing first trip out on new rv. Of course, rv dealer said it was not covered under warranty... ugh... not sure why not on brand new unit. After moving thermistor up and down, no change, think we will have to talk to service dept. Again...

A new RV and they won't cover it.  :eek: ::) :'( Boy would I raise hell with just before I tell them I tell them they'll be hearing from my attorney.

Back
Top Bottom