First trip to TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mavarick

So when we leave AZ this year we are heading for TX for our first visit. Of course we will be stopping to see the river walk, Alamo and the missions and everything in San Antonio. I'm still going through the Google list of other "must see" stuff as we go across the state. I was wondering if anyone had any "must see" items in TX that they especially enjoyed (adults, no kids involved). Or maybe even Mexico since we are close (or maybe not?). We will be coming in on 10 by El Paso and trying to cover San Antonio, Austin and Houston space center, Dallas if we get time, then picking a route heading back to the west coast(Seattle-Tacoma area). Still in the planning so looking for other stuff we have to do before we leave TX., thanks.

We have been to all the presidential museums except the last Bush.

There are three located in Texas. Johnson's is in Austin.

The original Whole Foods store is located in Austin too.  Very big store and kind of fun to visit and eat there.

The Houston Space center is worth seeing.

If you were a "Dallas" TV show fan you can tour the ranch where they filmed the outdoor scenes. The indoor scenes were shot in California. It was a bit of a problem for them to say the least.

The ranch is located in Parker just to the east of Dallas.

http://southfork.com/tours/ 

We spent a month in Texas as it is a very big state and you have to travel a lot to see everything and even then you won't see it all. 

I lived there for 40 years and didn't see it all! In no particular order some are:

Ft Worth Stockyards (and Booger Reds Saloon)
LBJ Ranch -interesting & eye opening
San Antonio as noted plus the Zoo
Armarillo -Palo Duro Canyon
Dallas- Ranch, Kennedy memorial etc, the gardens at White Rock Lake (Arboretum) -Ft Worths are nice as well,
  World Aquarium,  etc, etc
Austin- music district, Springs,
Terlingua area parks and forests
South Padre Island

Those things recommended by various chambers of commerce

Ernie
Arch Hoagland said:
We have been to all the presidential museums except the last Bush.

There are three located in Texas. Johnson's is in Austin.

The original Whole Foods store is located in Austin too.  Very big store and kind of fun to visit and eat there.

The Houston Space center is worth seeing.

If you were a "Dallas" TV show fan you can tour the ranch where they filmed the outdoor scenes. The indoor scenes were shot in California. It was a bit of a problem for them to say the least.

The ranch is located in Parker just to the east of Dallas.

http://southfork.com/tours/ 

We spent a month in Texas as it is a very big state and you have to travel a lot to see everything and even then you won't see it all. 

Big Bend National Park may be out of the way but well worth it.  The McDonald observatory in Fort Davis is not that far from Marfa or Davis Mountains state park.  If your headed through east Texas, Caddo Lake state park.  Hope this helps.

Hi Mavarick,

+1 for Big Bend NP. We haven't been there ourselves (nor to anywhere in TX, actually), but we have heard so much about the place, it's definitely in our "must see" list.

Cheers,
--
Vall & Mo.

Fredericksburg is in the Hill Country west of Austin.  It's the home of Admiral Nimitz and they have a superb National Museum of the Pacific War where his family lived.  We spent almost two days just in the museum.

ArdraF

Lots to do, see, and hear in the Hill Country.  The Nimitz museum is a must.  If you are into music, there is free country music at various venues every day.  While in Fredericksburg, Luckenbach is nearby, and many evenings has live music - the Picker's Circle,  on late afternoons/early evenings, features excellent local groups and anyone can join in.  If you are going to be in Texas for a while, get a State Parks pass, as the campgrounds are excellent, and most feature water and 50 Amp electric.

Thanks to everyone. I hadn't heard about the Nimitz museum or the pickers circle yet, that what's I'm talking about. Going to start looking at all these suggestions up to see what I can incorporate into our trip. I'm hoping we will have enough time in TX to see all these gems.

A good one night stop not far off I-10 in west Texas is Balmorhea State Park. Coming from AZ this might be a good first night stopping place.  Whenever we go west we stop here and also on the way back.  Not sure how you break up your days or how many miles you cover in a day, but worth the consideration.

If you like wine, the Hill Country is loaded with wineries, and there are also several breweries and distilleries scattered around.

Before you get to El Paso, head up to the Gila Cliff Dwellings.  North of Deming, NM.  If you go up hwy 15 (and you should), take the toad....not the motorhome.

From El Paso head north to White Sands National Monument, and then to Carlsbad NM and see Carlsbad Caverns....From White Sands, go through Alamogordo, Cloudcroft, Artesia, and then to Carlsbad.

From Carlsbad head to Ft Davis & McDonald Observatory are a must.  Plan on spending the night so you can go to the observatory at night (for obvious reasons).  The old Fort Davis is very much worth seeing.  Both are about 3 hours east of El Paso.

Texas Hill Country....as mentioned, Fredericksburg definitely.  The bat flight at Old tunnel State Park is a must while you're there.  The "Three Sisters" drive is very scenic if you have a toad with you.

San Antonio...all the usual tourist stuff.  Japanese Gardens are highly recommended too.

It would take you the whole summer to cover half of Texas.  Lots to see.

If you get up near Amarillo, Palo Duro Canyon.

All good stuff, thank you. We try and stay around 400 mi/day or less if we can. I like getting in before 2 pm so we have time to explore.
I forgot about the caverns, thanks for that too. I know we will be limited which is why I wanted to ask so we didn't miss the important stuff. 
How did we ever get along before Google.... :D

We have spent five winters in Texas and have barely made a dent in the things that one could see. I concur with everything mentioned so far and have seen many of them-some like the Admiral Nimitz museum of the Pacific War are worthy of many visits-but one intense day will bring that heroic episode of American History into your consciousness.

Gruene TX, a suburb of New Braunfels is a "no miss" in my opinion-lots of good eating, tourist watching and the world famous "Gruene Dance Hall" built in 1878 and still a rite of passage for every Texan and any aspiring Country and Western singer-music most days and every night -most free while you sit and enjoy a beer.
Just a bit further up FM 306 is Canyon Lake where every late March -early April Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard hold court beside the Guadalupe River - probably best to try to reserve a seat a year in advance but standing room is generally available up until show time. Don't miss  the ribs at the old gristmill riverside in Gruene.

Barbecue -everywhere in Texas- Luling and Lockhart are two of the best in my opinion-but everybody in Texas (including transplanted snowbirds from Canada like me) has a favourite Barbecue spot-a general rule is that the less pretentious the place-the better the food.

You might never go back to Arizona once you have sampled Texas hospitality.

Come and enjoy

My preferences in TX were San Antonio and its Riverwalk, Houston and its Space center and Galveston and its beautyfull beaches;
I also liked Mustang island & Corpus Christi area.

Hey, Mavarick!

We are at Buckhorn Lake in Kerrville, Feb 21 through Apr 20. If you are coming that way, you owe it to yourself to stop in at a super park, and we'll be glad to help you get around to the area's many amazing adventures! That's why we are there two months this year!

Could turn into a Frally!

Kim

Add one vote for the Bullock (Texas) Museum in Austin.

A very good mix of education and entertainment.

http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/visit

When visiting the Houston Space Center NASA, have lunch or dinner in Kema where the fishermen bring in the day's catch.

http://spacecenter.org/

http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

Thx again to everyone that throws in their favorites. I love going in knowing I will be back before I ever leave the first time!!
Thx Red, I was on the fence about the Gruene dance hall, it's going back on the list. And yes I am looking forward to the famous BAR-B-Q everywhere.
Kim, I would gladly stop in but we won't be leaving AZ until late May/early June. That gives us about 3-4 weeks before we head back.
Thx for all the links too, that makes it really easy to find the details.

If you spend time in the Houston-Galveston area, you must spend a few hours in Galveston and the historic Strand.  Often called the "Wall Street of the South."  You'll love the look and feel of this special street and be sure to stop in LA Kings, an old-style candy and ice cream shoppe.  They have unique old-fashioned soda shop counters and amazing candy selections.

Back
Top Bottom