First trip to TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are going to try and make it to Houston as we have friends not far from there so will add it to the stops, thx.

I hate to tell you but 30 days just isn't enough time. I spent October on the gulf coast (island hopping) South Padre Island, North Padre Island,
Mustang Island where you can stay at Mustang Island State Park or go up to Galveston Island and stay at Galveston Island State Park. While you are there they have tours to see the dolphins in the bay. Save your money and ride the free ferry and you will se just as many dolphins.
http://www.galveston.com/galvestonferry/
There are to many places to eat on Galveston Island but hear are a couple from past trips.
Nonno Tony's World Kitchen,  21 Harborside Dr #100, Galveston, TX 77550, Phone:(409) 621-5100, nonnotonys.com
In October they had a lunch special: choice of salad, choice of 4 different entry's, (I had the shrimp and lobster tacos), desert and drink $10.00. They were better than good!
If you want to go up scale a little across the street is Willie G's Seafood & Steaks. allmenus.com  Willie's gumbo was great.
Now it is my turn to talk BBQ North Main BBQ 406 North Main
Euless, TX, Thease guys have wone more BBQ cook offs than anyone I know all over the world. It is fun to look at all the awards and trophy's on the wall.  http://www.northmainbbq.com/
You can spend another 60 days in the Fort Worth Dallas area. You should go to the stockyards area in Fort Worth Where they still have real cowboys (employed by the city) drive a heard of longhorns down the street twice a day. http://www.fortworth.com/about/neighborhoods-districts/stockyards-national-historic-district/
Down town Fort Worth has ben revitalized better than nearly any other place I have ben to. See this http://sundancesquare.com/
Then they went just west of down town and re did that area.
http://www.west-7th.com/
Now they are working on this area.
http://www.fortworthsouth.org/community/whats-here/nightlife-restaurants/magnolia-avenue-restaurant-row/
I haven't mentioned The world class Museums or entertainment venues like Bass Hall.
http://www.basshall.com/
But you get the idea.
Bill

If you just happen to go to the San Fernando Cathedral in San Antonio, Texas, This is where the bones of Davey Crocket and others were placed after the Mexicans burned their bodies. I have a 1st cousin 4X removed that is mixed in with the others in that box. James Hannum

I love going to Texas, EXCEPT :D They have THE worst drivers in the country. Google it, top 10 states with the worst drivers.
Other than that, it's one of my favorite places to visit. Always something different to do. Good roads......mostly, extremely friendly people, always willing to help.
Never been through Dallas when there wasn't some kind of road construction going on though.
Sea World in San Antonio is pretty cool. I enjoy the water skiing demo/show.

Marshall, It is just those Okie drivers. ;)
Marshall does bring up a good point the construction on I-35 is on going. Best advise is if you are going East or West coming up from the South use I-20/loop 820 to go east or west around the south side of town. Now if you are going North on I-35W you won't run into any problem till you get to the north side. Traffic tends to be slow from just before the I-121 exit to the I-287 exit north of town. Best advise is to get in the left lane in this area. It might slow down but usually doesn't stop unless there is an accident.
I haven't driven I-35E in a while but it has construction to.
Bill

Hey Bill:
I-35E is torn up from Denton to Ennis North & South bound. I was just down there 2 weeks ago. It was bad.

BTW, are you trying to say we just need to learn how to dodge you guys? :p

malexander said:
Hey Bill:
I-35E is torn up from Denton to Ennis North & South bound. I was just down there 2 weeks ago. It was bad.

BTW, are you trying to say we just need to learn how to dodge you guys? :p
BTW, You may have a point. :eek:
Ennis, you must have ben on I-35E or I-45. Yes there is construction almost everywhere.
To add to the problems I saw a report they are going to redue  I-30 in Dallas, the area known as the canyons.
Bill

Right now I'm looking in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I was interested in the stockyards area etc but I'm having trouble finding an rv park less than $47/nt. This seems high compared to what I've found so far on the trip. Any ideas or just pony up? I have animals so need hookups. Thx for the tips, keep em comin!

We are coming up from Austin so I was looking to stop in between the Ft. Worth - Dallas area. Looks like a lot of places don't have websites so I'm thinking they are mobile home parks but maybe I'm wrong. I can stay at the KOA or treetops if needed but they are $49/47 per night. Thx

Texas is a really big state - We've lived here for 16 years and have not scratched the surface. About 80% of our travel/vacation time is spent in Texas. Work just keeps getting in the way of fun. Everything recommended so far is worth while. If you decide to go into the panhandle, Abilene and Midland both have great museums, Lubbock has the Buddy Holly Museum and Amarillo has the Big Texan Restaurant, and the helium museum.

Mavarick said:
We are coming up from Austin so I was looking to stop in between the Ft. Worth - Dallas area. Looks like a lot of places don't have websites so I'm thinking they are mobile home parks but maybe I'm wrong. I can stay at the KOA or treetops if needed but they are $49/47 per night. Thx
That is one Problem we ran into last year when we got talked into hosting a rally. There are not that many good RV parks. 
Hear is a place just a little further south but cheaper.
http://www.mockingbirdrvpark.com/
Just west of Fort Worth on I-20 is Cowtown RV park. I think it is in the $40.00 range
http://cowtownrvpark.com/reservations/
As you noted the KOA and Treetop are centrally located but you pay for the convince.
What direction are you headed when you leave this area?
North of town there are a couple places.
http://www.northlakevillagerv.com/index.html
There are some others but I can't recommend them.
Bill

Thanks Bill, that will give us some more choices, enough to get us through the area for sure. Not sure yet but think our next stop will be up 35 into OK. Now it starts to depend on how much time we end up spending in each area then it's time to head west again. I will actually route out the whole trip but no reservations because we don't know what days until we get there. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Well, after all the planning the weather had the last laugh so we must wait another year on our TX adventures! We stayed in AZ for the entire 2 months as Houston was flooded and the weather just wouldn't give us a break, oh well. We ended up exploring AZ and had a blast anyways, even found another coach we couldn't live without in AZ, an Allegro bus. Wow, loving the difference so far. Already planning for the TX trip next year.

Well I don't know if you have made your way to Texas yet but as a native Texan I couldn't sit by and not add my two cents.  Any true Texan would tell you that if you only have time for one adventure in the Houston area the San Jacinto Monument and the Battleship Texas are a must.  There would not be a NASA Space Center if it were not for the Battle of San Jacinto and this great country would be one third  less its size if it were not for one of the greatest victories this country has ever experienced thanks to General Houston and his 900 hundred brave troops that won a decisive battle against a superior army numbering 6000.  I will not go into the details but they are all available in what is the tallest monument in this country (although it was not supposed to be).  Along with the San Jacinto monument and museum directly across the street you can visit the Battleship Texas that fought in two world wars and has the distinction of being the first ship to launch a military plane from its deck and also the first American military to fire the first shot against our enemy in World War II.  Not to mention that the Texas was the sister ship to the Arizona that was sunk in Pearl Harbor.  I don't know how these two great representatives of American history are so commonly overlooked but for me they are two of this countries greatest moments and should be on everyone's bucket list if ever in this area.
2016  Sierra Forest River
2011 Ford 250 6.4 TD
Native Texan

SeniorGolfHack said:
Well I don't know if you have made your way to Texas yet but as a native Texan I couldn't sit by and not add my two cents.  Any true Texan would tell you that if you only have time for one adventure in the Houston area the San Jacinto Monument and the Battleship Texas are a must.  There would not be a NASA Space Center if it were not for the Battle of San Jacinto and this great country would be one third  less its size if it were not for one of the greatest victories this country has ever experienced thanks to General Houston and his 900 hundred brave troops that won a decisive battle against a superior army numbering 6000.  I will not go into the details but they are all available in what is the tallest monument in this country (although it was not supposed to be).  Along with the San Jacinto monument and museum directly across the street you can visit the Battleship Texas that fought in two world wars and has the distinction of being the first ship to launch a military plane from its deck and also the first American military to fire the first shot against our enemy in World War II.  Not to mention that the Texas was the sister ship to the Arizona that was sunk in Pearl Harbor.  I don't know how these two great representatives of American history are so commonly overlooked but for me they are two of this countries greatest moments and should be on everyone's bucket list if ever in this area.
2016  Sierra Forest River
2011 Ford 250 6.4 TD
Native Texan

Good call on San Jac and Battleship Texas!  We call the camp host parking there "home" because the past couple of winters we've spent more time there than anywhere else.  The Battleship is the last remaining ship that fought in both WWI and WWII. 

The ship gets visitors from all over the world.  You can spend anywhere from 2 hours to half a day exploring it.

When you are finished, with San Jac and the ship, you can stop off at Monument Inn for excellent sea food!

Thank you guys for those tips. I will be adding them for our next adventure! Hopefully it will be 2017 for our Tx trip.

We are just planning our Texas trip for end of April 2017.  Does anyone know if the Space Center Houston has RV parking?  I will call during the week if no one knows.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Space+Center+Houston/@29.5516221,-95.0997162,162m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x86409d00c061992d:0x13f0aac92fd5f916!8m2!3d29.550238!4d-95.096958?hl=en

Google shows a bunch of buses parked out back, looks like there is a ton of room. 

Pay attention to what tires are on the space shuttle...Same brand as are on my motorhome and that's the reason.

Back
Top Bottom