Vehicles that can be flat towed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artlp

Can anyone provide me with a list of 2015 / 2016 vehicles that can be flat towed.
I have sent emails to a lot of manufacturers and have received some replies. Toyota, Honda, Kia, Nissan
Cannot be towed because of their trans. Yet I see a lot being towed???
The replies I received from ford and GM is to contact their dealers. All I would like is a list of SUV's that can be flat towed so that when I start shopping I can ignore the ones that are not towable.
I am tired of towing a dolly and want a vehicle that can be towed.
Thanks,  Art

Toyota, Kia and Nissand have never given approval to flat tow their vehicles. Honda did for some models, but the last of those was dropped for 2015. The Hondas you see being towed are previous years.  There are also some Toyotas and Lexus models that can be towed without much risk, but Toyota does not approve and the factory warranty does not apply .

Still plenty of choices, though, and the Dinghy Guide that Ken pointed to has the answers. If you are an FMCA member, they also publish a DinghyTow Guide every January and it's on their website.

Thank you so much for your replies.
They will be very useful when I shop for a new vehicle.
Art

Maybe stupid question???  Starting to look into Tow vehicle also, noticed on Remco site that a lot of the vehicles mentioned as "good to tow"  state that "Not recommended to tow over 65 MPH- some say 70, is that pretty standard? I get it that you don't go flying down the interstate in a MH but just wondering if that is concern? What if I go 66 or 67 MPH? Just asking!

The 65 MPH number is a manufacturers specification, usually for warranty purposes. It does not mean that your transmission will implode at 66 MPH, just that sustained speeds above that number may cause increased wear on the moving parts.

What Dutch says.

The transmission problem in towing is excess heat and reduced lubrication, both because the normal fluid circulation is not happening, or at least much reduced in volume. The higher the speed and the longer the distance/time, the greater potential effect on the transmission. Ergo, most recommend limiting the speed and periodically running the engine/tranny to circulate the ATF a bit.

Back
Top Bottom