Road dust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssund1

First post ever for me so it's probably been covered but has anyone tried to put a reversible fan on their RV to reduce vacuum created when on gravel roads?  I have 8 miles of gravel minimum when I leave home and interior gets filthy with dust.  Just wondering if the positive interior pressure would reduce this vacuum effect.

Interesting question. Can you be more specific?
Can you describe the scenario you seem to have an issue with to help us get a mental picture of what you're dealing with?

Where would the air come from. Positive pressure systems get fresh air far away from the contaminants they are trying to keep out. A gust of wind or stopping at a stop sign would have the cloud of dust up by the intake. Then all that dust would be pulled into the RV and blown everywhere.

We have a reversible fan but never use it when traveling. Seems if the fan is set to blow out it would draw dust in from other spaces.  Does dust get in when everything is closed up? Vents, Windows.

Hmmm. A fan inside the RV tp pressurize it would need to draw air from somewhere outside, so it would suck in dust anyway - or require a really good filtering system. Most Fantastic Vents a have reversible fans, so that might be enough to produce a bit of positive pressure, but I suspect the dust clouds roil up around the roof as well as underneath.

I wonder if a fan outside, at the rear, would disrupt the suction that forms behind the rig? That suction probably raises more dust than the tires (if you are driving slow, that is).

Some rigs have more holes where dust can enter than others. Maybe a campaign to seal up as many as possible?

Sorry I don't know how to reply to individual responses.  The roof vent fan is what I am referring to.  They are at the top where there shouldn't be any dust.  The dust is coming in around the slideouts.  the vacuum is being created somehow when driving and my thought is that if I could bring in some positive pressure from clean outside air there would be no reason for the dirt to come in.  The same issue as if you have a tonneau cover on your pickup box.  The box gets dirty inside when cover is on, not so much when it is open. 

Rear facing roof vent covers would create a vacuum if left open. The stove vent will draw air out as air blows past it going down the road. (that's why most vents have a latch to lock it shut)

A forward facing cover on a roof vent would inject air into the RV for positive pressure. But again, I've seen dust clouds around vehicles that cover them, even to the roof. You could try the reverse fan in the roof vent. Hopefully never getting the dust cloud up there. Or figure out some "weather stripping" for the slide out.

Yet another reason I prefer no slide outs on my RV.

It is a Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel,  I would only run it when on these gravel roads, and typically the dust is behind the whole rig, would change the vent near the front of rig.

We never leave vents or windows open when driving.

ArdraF

If the intake fan was well toward the front, and not picking up dust from the truck wheels, no reason it would not work. Easy to try it and see.

Also, mud flaps, rear flaps or brushes, and downward facing exhaust pipe tips on the tow vehicle can add to the problem.

ssund1 said:
Sorry I don't know how to reply to individual responses.  The roof vent fan is what I am referring to.  They are at the top where there shouldn't be any dust.  The dust is coming in around the slideouts.  the vacuum is being created somehow when driving and my thought is that if I could bring in some positive pressure from clean outside air there would be no reason for the dirt to come in.  The same issue as if you have a tonneau cover on your pickup box.  The box gets dirty inside when cover is on, not so much when it is open.

To respond to a individual response, just click on the "quote" button over on the right. Then when the window comes up, click just after the word "quote" at the end of the response and click "enter" twice and start typing. Then click the word "post" under the window.

Try the goslow method of dust control eight miles of dirt road at a much slower speed! Is it your private road or do you have neighbors? Calcium chloride pellets spread on the road every spring will keep the road damp by absorbing humidity from the atmosphere. It should last the summer if applied heavily enough. The pellets melt and the gravel road absorbs it, take a LOT of rain to wash it away. Maybe get neighbors to chip in if the dust is bothersome to them as well. Used to work on a highway dept.

Bill

Interesting project.  If you have a vent up front, then having it blow in might do the job or, at least, help.  Being a 5th wheel, the roof is pretty high off the ground and probably would not suck in much dust from there.  If your vent fan does not have a reverse switch, it is a DC fan and by simply reversing the wires, you will reverse the fan.  Additionally, most roof vents are a little flimsy to leave open while driving so you may want a vent hood or cover - something like this.  You could probably insert a filter in such a cover, as well.

Molaker said:
Additionally, most roof vents are a little flimsy to leave open while driving so you may want a vent hood or cover - something like this.  You could probably insert a filter in such a cover, as well.

Tom a filter is a good Idea but I don't know how it would work with these fans. These fans are cheap and it wouldn't take much to restrict the flow of air. These vent covers are also not sealed along the bottom side of the cover so dusty air may still come in through those areas.

Rene T said:
To respond to a individual response, just click on the "quote" button over on the right. Then when the window comes up, click just after the word "quote" at the end of the response and click "enter" twice and start typing. Then click the word "post" under the window.

Thank you!  Rookie at this!  I appreciate all the responses!
Had a 2010 eagle superlite bunkhouse.  We loved it when we took the kids to the local lakes and state parks.  Both kids are in college now so we traded for a "Mom and Dad rig last summer.  Planning our first big Excursion next winter as I am a farmer and cannot get away until winter.  Gonna try being snowbirds for a few weeks next winter.

driftless shifter said:
Try the goslow method of dust control eight miles of dirt road at a much slower speed! Is it your private road or do you have neighbors? Calcium chloride pellets spread on the road every spring will keep the road damp by absorbing humidity from the atmosphere. It should last the summer if applied heavily enough. The pellets melt and the gravel road absorbs it, take a LOT of rain to wash it away. Maybe get neighbors to chip in if the dust is bothersome to them as well. Used to work on a highway dept.

Bill

Yes I am familiar with the goslow method!  We have not the greatest roads and I cringe taking my camper on them until I get to the pavement.  There are a few areas here where the county has put some dust control on the roads by farm residences and that stuff really works good!

Rene T said:
Tom a filter is a good Idea but I don't know how it would work with these fans. These fans are cheap and it wouldn't take much to restrict the flow of air. These vent covers are also not sealed along the bottom side of the cover so dusty air may still come in through those areas.

I was thinking about switching my fan for a Maxxfan Deluxe, it is made by the same company as the Maxxair vent covers.  It has a ten speed fan that puts out over 900 CFM either direction.  I think the location of this fan is far enough forward that there typically (there are always exceptions) shouldn't be any dust at that location.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND POST AWAY!!!

First, there is a "playground" near the bottom of the home page where you can make "trial posts" to learn how things work.
There is a Preview button below the area you type a post to see what something looks like before you post.
After posting, there is a "Edit" icon where you and only you can go back in to edit a post.

If you have a front A/C unit, can you set it to pump outside air into the camper (hopefully filtered)?  This would be a fan setting, but not simple recirculate mode.

Most ceiling fans can be replaced with a new, two direction fan.  This is normally a simple replacement job.  Add one of the "fan hoods" recommended above and add filters to the air intakes.  The may help.  You will probably need to clean the filters every trip.

In case anyone is interested I did install a MaxxFan forward facing on the forward vent in my 5th wheel, and it worked like a charm.  Just have to make sure to stop at the pavement and close it so it doesn't get ripped off at hwy speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom