1996 Newmar Mountain Aire power question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gasman251

All,
I have the 1996 Mountain Aire 37 footer gasser. I replaced the engine and house batteries today. I got a good start on her and she's running fine with all dash and normal automotive side electrical working good. Problem is that I get no power to the generator nor the house at all. Made sure I hooked up the house batteries in parallel but can't get anything to work. Worth noting, there is an extra wire that hooks to the negative on the engine battery that did touch the positive terminal long enough to spark. Checked a fuses both in the back of the coach and inside the areas on the firewall. Only thing I can think of now stopping the power flow must be a relay or the isolator or one of the solenoids I see in that compartment. Any ideas that the experts have would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance!
Randy

Yeah these were 2 12 volt ones in parallel. Don't know if it's supposed to be like that or not, but that's the way I had gotten the coach.

Gasman251 said:
Yeah these were 2 12 volt ones in parallel. Don't know if it's supposed to be like that or not, but that's the way I had gotten the coach.

For 12V, yes it's supposed to be that way. Just thought I'd be sure.

Some way though the circuit is good. I didn't have stairs go in till I hooked the house batteries up. The coach started and ran fine before that but stairs stayed out. Once the house batteries were hooked up stairs worked. Just nothing else coach side nor the generator starter. Voltage test on the coach to the house batteries  (the LED readout above the door) has no power or lights either. Will check for the in-line fuse tonight

The "salesman switch" is the house battery disconnect, which is a big relay (solenoid) controlled by a small switch that is usually located by the entry door. RV salesmen often use it as an easy way to turn 12v power on/off in display coaches, thus the nickname "salesman switch". That's not its real purpose - it's for removing power during storage periods.

I'm not sure what Newmar used for a Battery Control Center, but there are large circuit breakers or fuses in line from the aux/house batteries back to the DC distribution panel and the converter output.  You probably tripped one of these in the process of replacing your house batteries.

The power to the steps would come directly from the batteries prior to those circuit breakers/fuses.

Follow the house positive cable(s) to the area with the solenoids and possibly a circuit board.  The breakers/fuses will be in that area.

The breakers will look like the attached.  Check the end of the breaker for a small plunger that would need to be depressed to reset the breaker.

Attachments

• manual reset CB.jpg
    manual reset CB.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 7
Check the Newmarowners list on Yahoo, https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NEWMAROWNERS/ and see what help is there.  For Newmar  owners it is a great place for Newmar specific help.

Gasman, I ran into a similar issue when I changed my batteries.
When you are back in the coach and have engines started, let me know what happens or anything if you engage the aux start or emergency start. Check where your aux start or emergency start solenoid is. There is usually (on some coaches ) may/will have like a 150amp fuse. Check those out. If the aux start button gets your house 12v going its one of those fuses.

Thanks all for the comments so far.  Just keeping you posted that I haven't made it back out to the coach yet.  Too much work and not enough daylight to get there without cussing like a sailor at it and just don't want to do that.  Just like my wife...have to treat her right :)  I did join the Yahoo Group Mr. Godward.  Looks like that will be some good information on there. Seems like more for Diesel Pushers, but I like the current thread on Toyo tires.  Mr. Roamer, I do have a salesman switch above the entry door, but it had no power either.  Couldn't engage the house batteries at all nor see the voltage from them in the voltage check.  Mr. Lou, I'll take a pic of the fuse housing that holds the Tag Axle relay as well as the battery isolator.  It is the main hub of the coach side of the electrical it looks to me.  There's a couple of solenoids in there as well, but I don't see any breakers, just the board, isolator, solenoids and a few fuses that I've already checked.  Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks!

Yes, I know it is mostly diesel pusher oriented BUT the Newmar related stuff, not chassis is applicable as they use the same for both gas and diesel units.  Only the chassis stuff is different, gas, Ford or ???, diesel, Freightliner or Spartan.

Back
Top Bottom