Adding drawers to my dinette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wantvws

Hi all.... I am in the middle of my first major project in our new-to-us '08 R-Vision travel trailer. While it is much more roomy than our previous trailer, I noticed it was a little lacking in storage for the bunk area. I decided to build drawers under the dinette and thought I might share it here. The drawers are 30"x19"x9" which gives each kid more than enough space for everything they need. The drawers and mounting frames are 1/2" birch plywood, and are mounted with 24" full extension slides. I still have to add a nice face to the drawers but they are installed and functional now. And I have to reassemble my dinette. Thanks for looking!
Robbie

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 134
The drawers look realy nice! I can't wait to see them finished.
What kind of R-Vision travel trailer do you have? I like their models a lot but I found that they closed the TT division and was wondering if buying an older (2006) trailer would be a problem...

What a professional job Robbie!

I see you have already met Rene T. Rene and bucks2 consider themselves to be the local experts on lubricating drawers and the slides. Just ask either one and they will explain how much oil you should dump on that burch to make it slide well for the next year.

Again, what a great job.

Quillback 424 said:
I see you have already met Rene T. Rene and bucks2 consider themselves to be the local experts on lubricating drawers and the slides. Just ask either one and they will explain how much oil you should dump on that burch to make it slide well for the next year.

Robbie, you'll find that there are a couple of members here will take things to the extreme at times. Just take it with a grain of salt and look the other way and ignore them. 

Once again, those drawers look great and it's a great idea. I'm sure others will do the same.

Guguluff said:
The drawers look realy nice! I can't wait to see them finished.
What kind of R-Vision travel trailer do you have? I like their models a lot but I found that they closed the TT division and was wondering if buying an older (2006) trailer would be a problem...
It is an '08 SS26BHS. It is super clean and barely used, but outside of that we have not used it yet. It seems to be a fairly well built trailer and all of the systems work. We stepped up from a well loved 2002 Coleman Caravan, so the R-Vision is palacial by comparison.
Quillback 424 said:
What a professional job Robbie!

I see you have already met Rene T. Rene and bucks2 consider themselves to be the local experts on lubricating drawers and the slides. Just ask either one and they will explain how much oil you should dump on that burch to make it
Thanks for the compliment, and I assume this must reference another thread somewhere.
Rene T said:
Robbie, you'll find that there are a couple of members here will take things to the extreme at times. Just take it with a grain of salt and look the other way and ignore them. 

Once again, those drawers look great and it's a great idea. I'm sure others will do the same.
Thank you! I looked for a DIY on something like this but didn't really find anything. It seems like a project that would be fairly common....maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Deano2002 said:
good job, I hope those slides are rated for the weight it looks like you can fit in those big drawers.
I think they should be fine-they are rated for 100 lbs/pair and these are going to be used for the kid's clothes. The one thing I found with this camper is that it is lacking in storage for the bunks. Well it was anyway  :)

wantvws said:
It is an '08 SS26BHS. It is super clean and barely used, but outside of that we have not used it yet. It seems to be a fairly well built trailer and all of the systems work. We stepped up from a well loved 2002 Coleman Caravan, so the R-Vision is palacial by comparison.
Thank you. I should look for a model without the rear slide, like yours. I liked their quality, too.

Nice work and thanks for the pictures.  Just wondering what keeps the drawers from sliding out when you going down the road?

Nice work, but I'm actually more interested in the restoration project in the background. :)  Looks quite a bit like an MG TD, but the rear quarter doesn't look quite right.  Morgan?

TravlinOn said:
Nice work and thanks for the pictures.  Just wondering what keeps the drawers from sliding out when you going down the road?
I'm not sure  :) The slides lock in when you shut the drawers, but I will probably make some sort of simple locking system for them.

jagnweiner said:
Nice work, but I'm actually more interested in the restoration project in the background. :)  Looks quite a bit like an MG TD, but the rear quarter doesn't look quite right.  Morgan?
It is a 1952 Singer 9 roadster. It's not mine.... I am doing some work on it for a local restoration shop. The body is an aluminum skin with a wooden frame, and the wooden part is shot. I am repairing the salvageable pieces, and replacing what is not worth saving. The shop is going to take care of the rest of the restoration. It's slow and painstaking work, but I kind of like working on a car and just having sawdust on my hands afterwards!
I'm not a British car guy.... I'm into air-cooled Volkswagens, but I can always find some love for an old car.

Attachments

• singer1.jpg
    singer1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 57
  • singer2.jpg
    singer2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 43
  • singer3.jpg
    singer3.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 48
Wow!  Neat and rare car.  I should have guessed your proclivity for flat fours by looking at your screen name.  I like old VWs too, but don't own any and they're starting to be priced out of the sane person's market.  My brother has a nice '64 Karmann Ghia convertible. 

Well, back to your cabinet project.  Looking forward to the finished project.

So I finally made my drawer fronts. I had planned on using cherry and doing some sort of routed edge to make it look nice, but in the end I decided it is just a camper and went with stained birch plywood for the fronts :) I may glue in some plywood dividers for the drawers- they are pretty spacious and I don't think we will come close to filling them with clothes. Also,  I need to do a little restoration to the dinette now as I had to destroy some cross pieces to get my drawer bases in.
Robbie

Attachments

• drawer1.jpg
    drawer1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 42
  • drawer2.jpg
    drawer2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 43
MN Blue Skies said:
Nice work!  Could we do something like that for the space under the bed in our TT?

Probably not Eric and Max unless you have a huge void space under the bed. Looking online at your floor plan, it doesn't appear that the bed lifts up to reveal extra storage space. If that's the case, there is a good chance your fresh water tank may be under the bed. You'd have to remove the mattress and then lift the top off the bed and see what's under there. You may have a little bit of space which could be used.

That really is nice looking work Robbie. We had the same under-seat storage area in our last motorhome, and I remember what a pain it was to access the far corners. Great solution!

Kev

Rene T said:
Very nice professional looking job.
Thanks!
MN Blue Skies said:
Nice work!  Could we do something like that for the space under the bed in our TT?
I'm thinking about the same thing in ours next. I have the flip up bed storage, but I think it will be a little annoying to to use it regularly. I may add three or four drawers to either side, similar to these.
Kevin Means said:
That really is nice looking work Robbie. We had the same under-seat storage area in our last motorhome, and I remember what a pain it was to access the far corners. Great solution!
Kev
I went to an RV show in Richmond yesterday and I am surprised at how many new models do not have drawers in the dinette. And if they do, they are pretty shallow.  Maybe I went overboard with the size but I figure if the space is there.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom