Looking for a jeep toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john owens

Hi members. We are looking for some new adventures so I am looking for a simple Jeep to tow behind our Class A. I would like to know what you guys think...I want a 2005 or newer Jeep Wrangler and need to know which motor,running gear, hard top vs soft top etc. We just want to explore established desert roads, the beach in Pismo, parts of Death Valley etc. No rock climbing or anything hard core. We currently have a cool VW manx style buggy but I am getting too big to get in or out comfortable. Any info greatly appreciated. My current budget is 15 K because the wife says I spend too much and she loves a bank account. Go figure....

A stock Wrangler will do the job just fine, since you're not into hard core 4 wheeling. Just be sure it has a transfer case you can put in neutral (most of them do), in order to tow 4 down. As to hard/soft top, and other features, that's mostly personal preference. The Wrangler Sport is the low end, but works well -- I had a '03 Sport for a few years, and it was great, and a 2015 Sahara now. The Unlimited (4-door) Wranglers have a bit more space for storage, as well as much easier access to the back seat, but the two-door works well too, if that's what you prefer.

john owens said:
My current budget is 15 K because the wife says I spend too much and she loves a bank account. Go figure....

Use extreme caution when purchasing a Jeep...I purchased a 2005 Jeep Wrangler X that was bone stock except for a winch the previous owner installed.

Photo 1 shows my stock TJ...then I made a huge mistake, I went off road in Moab with a group from the RV Forum, upon my return from Moab I made a few modification to the drive train, suspension, and so forth, Photo 2. And then I caught the bug and really had fun with my Jeep, photo 3.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Jeeps are contagious fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Samsung 001.jpg
    Samsung 001.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Jeep 004.JPG
    Jeep 004.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 50
Jeep changed from the old reliable straight six engine to their corporate van V-6 engine in the 2007 model year.  That engine from all reports is a poor performer and in 2012 (I think) a new V-6 was used (the Pentastar sp?) which is significantly better than the van engine.

Light off-roading?  ROTFL.  Like John said the bug bites and bites hard once you see others doing fun things with their Jeeps.  Try to find an LJ Rubicon (2005/6 model year) - longer wheelbase, more room inside but still a two door.  No need to pull fuses or doing anything special with the electrical system to tow a pre-2007 Jeep.

Hi! I might be convinced to sell my 2006 Sport ($12K) if you're interested. Spec's/info:

White postal type (rh drive), never a postal Jeep.
Hardtop w/rack
No known problems (ac may need charge)
Used one week a year for last three years
Very good tires - about four years old
Automatic, four wheel drive Wrangler
Set up to tow w/blue ox
Very clean - no rust (in Texas now)
Stock except for rack, set up to tow, and hitch

If you are interested, I may be able to find pictures. Problem is I'm in Ft Myers, FL and the Jeep is in Texas.
I expect we could work that out or I'll be there later this year.

Ernie

Thank you Guys..especially J.Canfield..that is the info I need!! Ernie thanks but I will pass on that deal. More info would be appreciated. So far I am looking at older Rubicons......What about the double overhead cam engine?? Seems like they had a bunch of v6's with different cubic inches and horsepower...kinda confusing.

Back
Top Bottom