Orlando, FL area camping decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timster

OK maybe this is no big deal for many of you long time RVers here but my DW and I are super stoked. Our 26th Wedding Anniversary is approaching next week. We both work crazy hours and that is the very reason we purchased a TT. We can drop and go at almost a moments notice and we LOVE the outdoors and despise hotels/motels. Anywho... we have just decided we are going to Orlando Monday of next week and we will be going to either Universal Studios or Disney Hollywood. We are kids at heart still and want to have some fun for a couple of days. (We do realize that we can throw relaxation out the window on this one). However this is the off season and the weather is awesome this time of year down there so I would think crowds would at least be at a minimum and lines be a fair bit shorter (fingers crossed)

We have been to Universal several years ago and did the hotel thing. We have not been to Disney since grade school. So we are looking at CG's that are close by. I have read many of you really speak highly of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground and I know that CG is right at Disney's park and will also weigh heavily on deciding on Disney.

Have any of you stayed at the Kissimmee KOA? this is located just between the two parks it seems. Any other recommendations on CG's to consider in that area?

I can't give any recommendations on the Kissimmee KOA but I can tell you that February in Florida in NOT "off season". 

I would suggest you check out www.RVParky.com and do a search for parks in the area as well as www.RVParkReviews.com.  That would give to a list of parks to contact to try to get a reservation at such short notice.

Good luck!  Safe travels.

jsetti said:
I can't give any recommendations on the Kissimmee KOA but I can tell you that February in Florida in NOT "off season". 

I would suggest you check out www.RVParky.com and do a search for parks in the area as well as www.RVParkReviews.com.  That would give to a list of parks to contact to try to get a reservation at such short notice.

Good luck!  Safe travels.

Thanks for the links. I would think the the crowds would be a bit lighter this time of year I would hope.

Maybe I?m just in a grouchy mood this morning, but why didn?t you make your heading
?Help in Deciding on a Last Minute Decision on finding a RV park in Florida?.  It would have saved me reading thru 3 lines to find out what you needed help with.  Also posting it in Destinations, ?RV Parks, Routes forum? may get more results.  I would have passed it by since I don?t know about Florida.  Congratulations on your Anniversary.  Dick nvrver

January, February and March is "snowbird" season in Florida, so you really need to verify you can get a campsite.  Tons of people in Florida this time of year. 

Have fun.  We went to Disney World a couple of years ago with our family in June.  It was packed, hot, rained; but we had a fabulous time.

Marsha~

If you can get into Fort Wilderness, it's an adventure by itself.  Great fun!  And definitely more convenient than driving in every day.  There's a lot of traffic around Disneyworld so it's nicest to stay on the premises.  Don't forget about spring break when it's busy in Florida.

ArdraF

Marsha/CA said:
January, February and March is "snowbird" season in Florida, so you really need to verify you can get a campsite.  Tons of people in Florida this time of year.

It is Summer in South America, and there are zillions of tour groups with absolutely NO concern for you, your place in line, or your need to walk...but Disney is great and worth the aggravation.

Also look at Lake Louisa State Park. It's a great place and only about 20 minutes to either of the parks. Doubtful you can get a spot there, but maybe you'll get lucky.

PorscheMark said:
It is Summer in South America, and their are zillions of tour groups with absolutely NO concern for you, your place in line, or your need to walk...but Disney is great and worth the aggravation.

Also look at Lake Louisa State Park. It's a great place and only about 20 minutes to either of the parks. Doubtful you can get a spot there, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Despite my comments, my wife and I go every year in Jan or Feb.

Also - get the Disney app! You can actually check wait times in realtime. May give you a good idea of what to expect. Check different days and times. And, I'd find other things to do on the weekend.

We stayed at the Kissimmee KOA For two months last year, Feb & March.  We loved the location. Easy access to everything you can imagine.  It's a nice place to relax in the midst of a lot of activities.

Went to Epcot in December, and honestly didn't get it. Paid over $200 to see shops and restaurants. They should have paid us to go in. Blasphemy I know, but just saying.

Peteyboy said:
Went to Epcot in December, and honestly didn't get it. Paid over $200 to see shops and restaurants. They should have paid us to go in. Blasphemy I know, but just saying.
Epcot is Disney World for drunks. You are suppose to go to each world and have a drink. And I am qualified to talk about Disney World because I had an annual pass there last year. Right now I believe Soarin' is closed for a refresh and that wast the best thing at Epcot. They are adding a third screen and a new movie, Soarin' around the World.

Paid over $200 to see shops and restaurants.

I guess you missed the educational aspects of Epcot.  Each "country" has something about its culture and some of the sections have behind the scenes things such as hydroponic farming in The Land area.  They've added a lot since our last trip there.

Epcot is Disney World for drunks. You are suppose to go to each world and have a drink.

We didn't know we were supposed to do that!  We thought we were supposed to be seeing the exhibits and learning about other cultures.  Silly me.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
We didn't know we were supposed to do that!  We thought we were supposed to be seeing the exhibits and learning about other cultures.  Silly me.
Well you are suppose to do that but you are suppose to drink too. They even have t-shirts:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/tonysimonetta/works/13956032-drink-around-the-world-epcot-passport?body_color=white&country_code=US&p=t-shirt&print_location=front&size=medium&style=mens&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_medium=google_products&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKEAiA58a1BRDw6Jan_PLapw8SJABJz-ZWNteIllTMgChWhzkxDZBFAYoZ3gysA90T3rDO6gOYSBoC-Vzw_wcB

I, Sheryl, work 3.5 miles from Disney on Hwy 535 a block North of Hwy 192 in Kissimmee.  I work at a timeshare resort and am very familiar with tourist crowds.  Next week the traffic will be picking up late in the week since Race Week at Daytona begins on Sat, 2/13 with the Sprint Unlimited kicking everything off.  Also, Mon, 2/15 is President's Day so lots of people in town due to the holiday.  So if you can get here this weekend and leave by about Thu or Friday the crowds won't be nearly as bad as they will be beginning 2/12/16.  Hope you find a place and can come for a visit.  Orlando/Kissimmee is lots of fun.

Happy Anniversary! Our 30th is coming up on 2/15.

Have fun.  We went to Disney World a couple of years ago with our family in June.  It was packed, hot, rained; but we had a fabulous time.

Marsha~

We went to Universal Studios about 6 years ago around this time and the wait times and crowds where minimal. Kinda hope for that wherever we end up

If you can get into Fort Wilderness, it's an adventure by itself.  Great fun!  And definitely more convenient than driving in every day.  There's a lot of traffic around Disneyworld so it's nicest to stay on the premises.  Don't forget about spring break when it's busy in Florida.
We where looking hard at that CG. Definitely a place we would like to camp at.

Oh wow! Great suggestion. $24/night to boot right close to the parks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also - get the Disney app! You can actually check wait times in realtime. May give you a good idea of what to expect. Check different days and times. And, I'd find other things to do on the weekend.
If we decide on Disney I will try the app thanks.

We stayed at the Kissimmee KOA For two months last year, Feb & March.  We loved the location. Easy access to everything you can imagine.  It's a nice place to relax in the midst of a lot of activities.
It does look like a nice KOA...

It seems no matter which way you go with in these major theme parks you can just expect to get hit hard in the wallet. But the idea is to get your moneys worth. Some people just love the shops and restaurants that represent different parts of the world.

I, Sheryl, work 3.5 miles from Disney on Hwy 535 a block North of Hwy 192 in Kissimmee.  I work at a timeshare resort and am very familiar with tourist crowds.  Next week the traffic will be picking up late in the week since Race Week at Daytona begins on Sat, 2/13 with the Sprint Unlimited kicking everything off.  Also, Mon, 2/15 is President's Day so lots of people in town due to the holiday.  So if you can get here this weekend and leave by about Thu or Friday the crowds won't be nearly as bad as they will be beginning 2/12/16.  Hope you find a place and can come for a visit.  Orlando/Kissimmee is lots of fun.

Happy Anniversary! Our 30th is coming up on 2/15.
Thanks for the heads up. We are arriving 2/8 and departing 2/11 so I think we will avoid some of that mess. If we do Disney it will be just Hollywood. Not going to try and do all of Disney in 3 days.
That's awesome on your anniversary! Ours is 2/10

Just spoke to my kids, who are there now! They said the crowds were very small...no more than a 5-10 minute wait MAX....HURRY!!

PorscheMark said:
Just spoke to my kids, who are there now! They said the crowds were very small...no more than a 5-10 minute wait MAX....HURRY!!

Sounds great! Making final arrangements. Thanks to everyone who gave helpful info here. I knew I could count on you. I'll let you know what our final decisions are.

Keen Family said:
Could you take us with you? ;D

Have your bags packed and be ready to shove off Monday 8:00am sharp. You may want to at least bring a tent however as our TT for two is only a 14 footer.  ;)

Final decision on park is made! Tickets purchased and we are still deciding on camp location.

Attachments

• 1750edit.jpg
    1750edit.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom