Periscope of rocket launch on Friday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

Periscope is a new app that is catching on like wildfire. It basically turns your smart phone into a television station. My nephew's son is getting married in March and they want me to do the video. I decided to Periscope the event since they have so many friends in California who won't be able to make the wedding.

In order to use Periscope you need a Twitter account, which is free, and Periscope app, which is free. It needs an IOS 7.1 iPhone or better or a 4.4 Android or better to watch, which is free. My screen name is Seilerbird (duh) and I will start broadcasting around 8:30 this Friday morning. I get a super good view of the launch when the weather is clear. The rocket is scheduled to launch at 8:37. This is basically a test of my systems. If anyone here watches I would appreciate any feedback.

Tom

Thanks for the info; do you happen to know the direction the launch is going? We are in the Keys.

(Dir. Besides up) NE SE

All I know is that it is going up.  ;D

Here is the official notice from Kennedy. Doesn't say anything about direction.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/events/2016/february/launch-ula-atlas-v-gps-2f-12.aspx

Tin man said:
Thanks I'll check it out.
Most of my Air Force career was spent in the Minuteman Missile System.  Periodically, missiles that were on alert in northern US silos were randomly selected to be launched as a system test to determine their viability after years in a northern missile base silo.  At this time, the warhead was removed and the guidance package and missile were removed and shipped to Vandenberg AFB, California were they were emplaced in a test silo right on the Pacific coast.  The launch crew of which I was a member for one launch went 'on alert' just like they would be at their home base and at a predetermined time (unknown to the crew) SAC would send a message to launch the missile.  At the operational bases, the launch control centers were 60 feet underground but at Vandenberg the launch control center was just built in an above ground building so when the crew turned their keys for launch, they then made a mad dash outside to watch the bird go up.  Minuteman was a very reliable solid fuel missile so it usually blew right out of that silo through a sheet of flame and a smoke ring (formed by initial engine ignition in the round silo) and headed downrange to the area of Kwajelain (sp?) atoll.  Initially the first few launches were designed to land in the lagoon on the atoll (and most did) but when they started putting multiple warheads (inert for test launches) on the missile, they moved the target area outside the atoll and the Navy had ships score the target impact with SDR (Splash Detection Radar).  You would be amazed at how close those reentry vehicles came to their targets after traveling 6000 miles.  There are several good videos of Minuteman launches on YouTube if you just look for Minuteman Missile Launches.

Sorry Tom, didn't mean to hijack your thread but the old 'back in the day' memories overpowered me. LOL.  I don't tweet so I won't be watching but the old Atlas puts on a good show.

I don't mind you hijacking my thread, good story. I am not one of the thread police that has a cow when the thread drifts. You don't need to do any tweeting to watch the show, just sign up for a free account. You don't ever have to tweet anything in your life. I never do.

I'm at KARS park at Kennedy witch is open to NASA employees and retired military  I can see the missiles sitting on the launch pad from my RV. It's nice to watch and feel a launch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom