1990 E250 (Intervec Falcon) class-B difficult to drive straight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tev123

Bought a 1990 E250 class B with 82k miles in very good condition mechanically

Driving it seems to want to wander left and right and I have to constantly be correcting via steering input;
The faster it goes, the worse it gets. 
I have adjusted the steering box and this has alleviated the amount of free play on the steering wheel, but the corrections are still needed to make it stay in the lane.

I've read through posts that adding +2 degrees of caster makes night and day differences.
To add caster, I'd need to change bushing sleeves for eccentric ones. 
Searching for the part, I only find them fitting from 1992 on up for the E250.

Does anyone know if the 1990 E250 is the same as the 1992?
Has anyone added caster to a 1990 E250 or have any suggestions?

All the bushings and suspension parts are tight with no play.  Shocks are relatively new (<5000 miles).

Thanks!

I'd take it to a good front end shop and have them look at it. Do you have any tire wear inconsistencies? Could be as simple as a bad alignment to needing a major part or something about to totally fail. Not something to take lightly.

Apologies if this is 'obvious' and you've checked but, when we first got our class A it wouldn't drive in a straight line. The dealer had grossly over-inflated the tires and, when correctly adjusted for the actual axle weights, the problem was solved.

Tom said:
Apologies if this is 'obvious' and you've checked but, when we first got our class A it wouldn't drive in a straight line. The dealer had grossly over-inflated the tires and, when correctly adjusted for the actual axle weights, the problem was solved.

Thanks for the response; 
I checked the suggested tire pressures as stated on the sticker by the door sill.
Sticker said 50psi front, 80psi rear.
I had 40psi front and 40psi rear, so obviously the rear was way off.
I made them 50/80 as suggested by the sticker, and it is night and day - it tracks straight with minimal wondering on the road, so I think this has solved the problem.  Will get tires balanced and alignment checked anyways.

I don't know how old your shock absorbers are, but you may want to get them checked also.

kdbgoat said:
I don't know how old your shock absorbers are, but you may want to get them checked also.

Shocks are relatively new (<5000 miles).

Thanks for the reply

I went through the same thing with my 1991 E350 turtle top. I had a heck of a time keeping it in my lane at highway speeds. My problem was with the back not the front. Although it looked normal to me, these older vans have a tendency to sag in the back. Sagging in the back picks up in the front. The alignment shop recommended Monroe Load Handlers. Before I spent that kind of money on the old girl I put a bolt on leaf helper springs to see if it would help. That made a big difference, it's still a little squirrely but I am on the right track.     

Update on this topic:

Took the camper to Campers Inn in Merrimack NH for a road test inspection and while at it the required state inspection:
road test:  $65
state inspection: $60
shop supplies: $6.25

Results:
road test: found steering box to have excessive wear and tear
state inspection: needs rear leaf spring bushings (4) and L/R front king pins

Not sure what the $6 shop supplies are for on a road test and inspection (paper towels to clean your hands? latex gloves?) - just noticed them now on the receipt while I typed this.
I also asked if there was any overlap from the road test work and the state inspection work as it seems the road test would cover most of the state inspection, but they did not agree;

They did not want to take on the job of the repairs as the van is "too old", can't find parts, and it may require more items as they take things apart....  would not justify the cost.
They referred me to a truck suspension shop near by.

Got a $1900 quote, easily possibly more, from the suspension shop,
which I will copy/paste:

Hello,
Camper Inn in Merrimack (Brendan) pointed me to you guys.
I am looking to have some work done on my 1990 ford E250 Econoline conversion van.

It needs:
- rear spring bushings replaced
- front hub kingpins replaced

Please let me know if this is something your shop does and a rough cost estimate

Thank you

Tony

Response:

Tony,

Bushing the rear springs will probably be $500+.
A camper/van this old, condition (a big part of the labor charge) unknown to us, might need more work than just spring eye bushings.
For example, $500 would not include shackles & hangers, if needed.

Kingpins, best guess-not estimate-, if the kit is still available, would be about $1,400 with the alignment. Easily could be more depending on the price of the kit.

Thanks,

-patrick

So, yesterday I installed a steering damper kit (Monroe, $51 from Amazon) and the van now drives very well.  Night and day.
I had already adjusted the steering box one full turn on the adjustment screw.

Questions:
do the quoted prices sound reasonable? 
should I try adjusting the box some more?
are they trying to screw me, without vaseline?

I'll try to answer the best I can.

As far as prices go, if your in doubt get a second opinion. Do not tell them about the first shop that checked out your van and see if they come up with the same diagnoses. If you don't have experience with steering box's it may be best to steer clear of them. It "is" possible to go to tight and cause the gears to bind up, scary! Don't let worn out suspension and steering parts go unrepaired it's dangerous. Your van didn't come from the factory with a steering dampener and I'm sure it didn't wonder down the road when it was new, your covering up the underlying problem. If you don't trust the place that inspected your van and you don't have a regular mechanic ask friends where they take theirs so you don't have to worry about lube ;o)       

I would have bet on bad ball joints.      But the price is about right for a front end rebuild.  It's alot of labor

Back
Top Bottom