T Mobile Binge On Streaming Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ISO_AAA

I just purchased a 2015 Forrest River Legacy that I will be full timing in for awhile to travel for work. TV and Internet have been on my list of issues to solve. I will not work from the RV. I just need basic Internet and streaming. Both TVs have an HDMI port. You can get an HDMI adapter for a phone or tablet to play on a TV. I'm considering getting a T Mobile phone with the Binge On Plan to use just for streaming and a hotspot for my laptop. Has anyone else had this idea or tried this?

Coverage might be an issue, especially away from large cities and out west:

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage-map.html

I believe T Mobile and AT&T share many towers, and AT&T is known for poor coverage

T-Mobile used to have a roaming agreement with AT&T but I do not know if that still exists..
AT&T has somewhat increased their coverage of late.. in fact they have been bragging about it.. I've seen no evidence of it though.

Have been with T-Mobile a long long time.  Current phone sees Verizon towers (In addition to T-Mobile)  but I do not think it can use them.. Old phone saw T-mobile and AT&T and could not always use the AT&T tower. 

I will not be out west or away from bigger areas. My current service is ATT and I have no issues where I will be the first 6 months or so. I will be close to two major interstates and a mid sized city with a large university. I looked at the T-mobile coverage map on the website and it should be fine. I was just hoping someone had already tried this.

I have a T-Mobile hotspot. Location is everything and I am blocks from a TMO tower. The problem for me IS the interstate. I can get 8 Mbps down late night but it is unusable during rush hour. The same happens with Sprint here but not AT&T. I do find TMO's 3G better than Sprints.

Make sure you get a phone that is band 12 capable. In some states like Colorado and Michigan, band 12 is what TMO is deploying to cover large areas.

As far as binge on, I had them shut it off. The signal is rarely strong enough for video here and most all of the services are pay or you have to have a subscription to a cable or dish company. Since our subscription is with the dish we carry, it's easier, faster and better quality to watch it on that. Just having Binge on running will throttle all video.

So if you can, borrow, rent or get a one month plan to make sure the signal is good all day where you need it to be. I love my hotspot except for between the hours of 8 and 10 am, or 4 to 7 pm. Then I use AT&T.

T-Mobile coverage is usually excellent in large cities (usually better than verizon/at&t from my experience), but it does not do as well in remote areas. I would recommend using a T-Mobile phone for unlimited data video watching when it has signal, and getting a cheap line for absolute necessity from Verizon when you are in remote areas. There are places in america where T-Mobile literally has no signal whatsoever, so it is important enough, at least for me, to get both.

quadron said:
getting a cheap line for absolute necessity from Verizon when you are in remote areas.
AT&T has a prepaid plan where you buy minutes in advance and they never expire - you could get a cheap flip phone for emergency and leave it shutoff. I have not been able to find a similar plan with Verizon but worth checking to see if they do. I agree, far superior coverage with Verizon in remote areas. Very, very rare that I don't have a Verizon signal and someone with another carrier does, but quite frequent that I have a signal and they don't.

Jim that's good to know about rush hour! I was considering the phone for streaming because I don't really just watch TV. I DVR shows I like and watch when I can. I'm just brain storming at this point.

Anyone have a preference between Direct TV and Dish?

AT&T poofs by 9 am where we camp too. I get a signal from 5 am to 9 am and that's it until late evening. There is a Red Pocket ebay deal for one year of Verizon 3G for $199. It's 1 gig of data and some TnT. One gig of data isn't much but we only camp one or two weeks at a time.

We had Directv here at the house for a long time. We use a Dish Tailgater when camping. When we do go out of the area, Dish lets us change the locals. We can turn it on and off as needed and the Tailgater cube is just too easy to use. Things may have changed but those features were unique to Dish when I bought.

Outside of that it's who has the best deal on the programming you want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom