ATV trails and RV camping near Sedona, AZ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2kGeorgieBoy

My wife and I are ATV riders and she heard of trails near Sedona, AZ. I've done some searching online, but mostly come up with websites connected to tour companies or geared towards the Jeep crowd. I thought that maybe some of you offroaders (I realize you are mostly "Jeep" oriented) may have some suggestions as to trails, camping areas, etc. We have a 2000 Georgie Boy 31' Maverick "C" and pull our 2 Polaris ATVs on an Aluma A8812 trailer. We can boondock and would prefer to do that, if possible. Any help would be appreciated. We live in Colorado, near Westcliffe, between the Wet Mountains and the Sangre de Christos (intersection of highways 96 and 69). Thanks

Well there are trails all over central AZ, but not too many where you can park an RV near the start of them. I used to have a quad and have been on a lot of trails, some the 50" and many wider for the side by sides. Most of the locals trailer or haul their rides in pickups to the starting points  for trails.
Of course most ATVs here in AZ are licensed for street use as well. Many of the rental places around Sedona provide quads for rent and lead the customers out on trails and they have mostly street tires on the quads to minimize trail wear.
Good luck on finding spots to camp near trailheads.

Thanks for the reply. The few maps I have been able to find on line, give the impression that a lot of the trails are relatively short. That could be a misconception by me as I haven't seen  that much info. Am considering getting Charles Wells book/books to see if that helps:http://www.funtreks.com/guide-to-arizona-backroads-4wd-trails-2nd-edition    http://www.funtreks.com/atv-trails-guide-arizona-phoenix-region

Interesting comment about the use of street tires on the OHV's to help with trail damage. Can't imagine running tires like that here on some of our trails. I assume that is only for the very easy, "Sunday drive trails"?

Its a misconception... We camp in Sedona... and it is literally surrounded by miles and miles and miles of great trails. Downtown Sedona is filled with ATV and Jeep rentals, as well as Jeep tours, all due to the trails surrounding the area.

The one RV park in town is literally on a river, and the trail head that follows that river into the mesa's. If you google earth the area, you will see them. Rancho Sedona is the parks name.. the road it sits on turns into a long off road trail into the mesas.

EdS...Thanks for responding. Two questions for you: 1). Is there any dry/boondocking camping in the area?; 2). I assume the trails are like most places, where you have to tow your trailer to the staging area as opposed to riding out from your campsite (assuming you are dry/boondocking)?....Gary Dent

Tons actually.. boondocking. Many places in Arizona allow you to camp for up to 7 days on Federal lands. Im sure you can find directions if you google it... and google earth maps of hte area will show you even more.

Many of the trails, you would drive straight from your RV park.. or from in town.

Rancho Sedona RV park is right on Schnebly hill rd in the east side of Sedona... that trial has a staging area if you like, but you can just drive there from the park or town on your UTV/RV...

Trail map

http://www.protrails.com/protrails/maps/Red%20Rock-Secret%20Mountain%20Wilderness%20Map.jpg

In case you did not know, there are also great ATV trails in Brenda,AZ.

On Hwy 60 just east of where it leaves I-10, not too far east of Quartzsight.

Yes.. Sedona is a small cool little town nestled in the middle of moutain/mesa red rocks... no matter which way you go out of town you drive into wilderness with tons of hiking, biking, off road OHV trails and places to explore.

One thing you might consider is camping up at the top of Schnebly Hill road - you will be in the forest (perfect for ATVs), and the views of Sedona far below are unreal. If you drive very slowly, it would be possible to take your class C down into town. From traveling this road many times, the main problem will be how rough the surface is because of ruts, rocks, etc. I have seen extremes of both rough-smooth, but it is doable regardless.

Bill

Not to argue.. but Schenbly hill road is not passable to any RV period (my opinion). Its strictly jeep rated... We took out a ram 2500 power wagon with lift & 35" and it was challenging. An RV would bottom out before you went down the first hill after it turns to dirt/stone... again, not trying to argue, but I would never even try that.

but Schnebly hill road is not passable to any RV period (my opinion). Its strictly jeep rated

I respectfully disagree - I can't imagine what you could bottom out on. To bottom out, it would take uneven terrain much worse than I have ever seen on it. But, as you say, we don't need an argument.

I would suggest, if possible, a scouting trip ahead of time to check out the conditions. I fully accept the fact that it can be anywhere from not so bad to absolutely terrible, depending on the rain/snow and the amount of traffic on it.

Bill

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. A lot of good info and suggestions from people who've been there. We will definitely look at this area a little closer for a possible future ATV riding trip. Thanks again for the help. This is a great website with a lot of good people and good info and I enjoy "lurking" here at various times and sometimes adding my own "$.02" worth. :D

Leaving sedona on schenbly hill road, after it stops being pavement, then dirt.. then stone, there are several places to literally bottom out in a low vehicle. The first downhill trek requires you to go into 4x4 with low airpressure to not be shaken to death on the rocks and jumbles in the trail (they call it a road.. it isn't). There are a few places where you are literally rock climbing in your vehicle... thus you need a jeep or other off road rig with under inflated tires.

Our dash cam actually filmed several clips thinking we had been in an accident... in our 2500 ram power wagon. Jeeps and 4x4 vehicles.

Now, if you are talking about the paved area where you can park and buy a daily or weekly pass, then yes, a RV will be safe. Past that area, you will not. There are even warning signs.

Read the reviews here...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31352-d3297843-Reviews-Schnebly_Hill_Road-Sedona_Arizona.html#REVIEWS

This from the "Desert USA" website.. guide to the area...

Today, Schnebly Hill Road ? FS Road 153 ? remains as a little-changed, primitive ascent up Arizona?s Mogollon Rim, the southwestern edge of the Colorado Plateau. It begins at State Route 179 in Sedona. The first mile deceives the unwary. It?s paved. But it quickly changes into a pock-marked, rutted dirt road. It?s rough. The Forest Service occasionally grades the surface and fills potholes, but high clearance vehicles remain a must, although someone is always challenging Schnebly Hill Road with a passenger car, inevitably littering the trail with metal and oil. Over the next five miles, the dirt road ascends 1,800 feet to Schnebly Hill Vista. Along the way, narrow turnouts provide an opportunity for travelers to marvel at the unfolding landscape. Schnebly Hill Vista, at 6,000 feet, overlooks the Verde Valley and Sedona below the summit, Steamboat Rock at the mouth of Oak Creek, and the mineral-rich Mingus Mountains to the west.

Again, not trying to argue, as we're both right in a way. The paved first mile is OK for RV's.. and there is a pull off where you can buy a pass, park, hike, ect... right near a mesa. Past that, it is a very rough off road only for the next 25 miles... I would never dream of taking a passenger car there, let alone an motorhome. Even if it were smooth there are some super tight hairpin turns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom